Dexter Outdoors

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
So now I have an idea what to do for updating my LR reels. I have even put pen to paper to match the reels with the UC rods I have or want built. My problem now is deciding which rod butts and foregrips to use. In the past all my rods had gimbals with caps. Seems like most build without gimbals now. I also understand that the foregrips will be different for rail and non rail rods. Still there are a lot of choices and I'm looking for some educated opinions on butts and foregrips.

Right now I plan of having a UC Terminator, Centaur, and Invictus built. I allready have a Tilefish, Predator, Raptor, and Viper. Only the Viper was built as a rail rod and is an older model by Salty Dog. Lastly, I don't have any illusions about needing/trying to use a plate or harness. But at times I do like resting the rod butt against my thigh or on a small plate or Smitty pad. Lastly it's not unthinkable that I would use the rods on a charter.

Thoughts?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It’s going to be up to you and your rod builder to make these decisions. I’m not big in stature, so my needs are different than some others.

Key measurement is butt grip, long enough to be just right under your armpit. Too long and it sticks out too far. Really hate it when I’m fighting a fish and an angler or crew member bumps into the butt of my rod if it sticks out too far. Not long enough and it will dig in, not fun.

Foregrips, I can only effectively use 16”, but a lot of guys like 18”.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The reel seat position rules the whole handle. And while you can play with the distance with the length from butt end to middle spool of reel, for the most part there is a sweet spot for each person. All my deckhand rods and every rod with a reel seat is set with a closed fist at the knuckle to elbow measured to rod butt to middle reel spool For me.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Something to consider for a butt grip. If you have a boat, you will want a gimbal. The rod can be put in the holder and locks in so it does not rotate in the holder. Even a bait rod needs one if you "troll a bait around the paddy". I generally go with a graphite or nylon gimbal that can accommodate a cap. On my trollers and other heavy rods, I am going to a nylon butt grip. It is easier to pull the rod out of the holder especially with a fish on. You are not going to tuck the butt grip under your arm on a heavy rod, so it does not need to be soft. I have several rods with torn hyponlon on the butt. I have retrofitted a few with a nylon grip, but that can be difficult as it has to slide up from the rod butt. For the fore grip, I have been going with hypolon with a diamond cut. It just feels better.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    All good information. My rod builder is Jon Vadney. He does amazing work and I trust him to get the geometry right. Mostly I’m waffling on the materials. I guess if you want a typical metal gimbal then you need the cap at least for LR. Probably should tape it as well or lose it. Currently I don’t own a boat. Had a GW. Hopefully there’s one on my future;)

For railing you need to be able to slide the rod under pressure without destroying the fore grip, right? My one rail rod has a “RailDawg” grip. It’s heavy and bulky but gets the job done. What are the newer materials that people like?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Ksurg, next best thing for protecting your foregrip if you’re fishing big tuna and using the rail would be 3M style Coldshrink.

Walter, I’m not sure your advice is appropriate here.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Ksurg, next best thing for protecting your foregrip if you’re fishing big tuna and using the rail would be 3M style Coldshrink.
    Walter, I’m not sure your advice is appropriate here.
    Thanks Steve. I do think hypolon would shred on a true rail rod

I hope this doesn’t end up like golf. Kept getting better clubs and eventually realized it was the golfer who was lacking. Lol! That said I figure a start is to have the right gear. I’m not a newbie, just a little rusty.

Bill W
    Bill W
    More like the Indian blaming his bow...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    For my 5 rail rods, UC CX Raptor, Centaur, Viper, Viper & Invictus, Sam at Islands showed me how to build my foregrips. I didn’t like the idea of hypalon with cold shrink as it makes the foregrip huge. I build up 2 layers of cork tape and 3M cold shrink tube tapered at the top. Rod sits and slides on the rail perfectly. Old school Daisy butt caps and no gimbals. Luv this set up.

I have never in my life used a butt pad, harness, rod belt. Just never liked to have the rod butt in the middle of my body. I always used my left hip bone as a butt rest. Oh ya, on long trips my gut was black and blue. The most the I have used before rail rods was a piece of carpet tucked in my pants

0F9380B2-876C-4D09-91EE-F2FD47C59605.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0