tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
Hey guys, Whats the advantages between YOYO vs. Butterfly. When one might work better than the other. The difference in how you use one over the other?.......Thanks as always, Mike

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
advantages and disadvantages are not a deal breaker for either. Typically they are used when conditions are identical ie fish deep and needing something to stimulate them in a reaction bite. Some days one or another jig might be hot, but really no one can say that one style or another will get bit for sure when the other won't.

Traditional yo-yo gear is designed for casting and even a Salas 6x or a Tady 4/0 can be heaved quite a ways from the boat giving you a 45 degree or less (depending on current) retrieve to cover a little more water. We are all familiar with this.

Vertical jigging gear uses far shorter rods not designed for casting but mostly for imparting action to the lure and taking the sting out of heavy jigs. The trade off here is that the shorter rod is less work when the lure is in the water and is very powerful for handling fish. You can also fish far heavier jigs (10-14oz or more) when you want to get deep in heavy current. The days of fishing PL-68's on heavy gear should really be over for most if they take a look at the set-ups that weigh less than 3 pounds that are available now that can handle very big fish.

Ok, so why use one or the other? Categorically, for getting very deep is where vertical jigging (aka butterfly) excels. But mostly for me, I use both and switch because my arm is tired :). I have a conventional reel on a short vertical jigging rod that I use to toss say, a Salas 6xjr over fish until my left arm is barking from holding the rod, and right from reeling etc, then switch to a vertical jigging rod rigged spinner and fish that, as now each arm has a different job to do. Rinse and repeat to stay fishing all day.

The big advantage that I find over traditional jig sticks is simply the lighter weight of the short vertical jigging rods keeps me in the water jigging longer and being able to get deeper with heavier jigs relatively comfortably. However, if I wanted to reach a little farther from the boat then a standard 7-8' yo-yo stick works better for that and of course can do double duty for surface iron if needed if the right rod is chosen.

Bottom line imo: Vertical jigging is just another tool in the shed, but especially good for getting deep fast (like 250-400feet). Other than that, use whatever keeps you in the water and floats your boat.

my 2 cents, use as you will.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Yoyo jigs are for people that know how to catch fish. Butterfly jigs are for people that get caught by Shimano's advertising techniques. Buying a butterfly jig and shimano's recommended set up= wasted money and :shithappens:. Buying yoyo jigs will put fish in the hold for you and leave money in your wallet for :smoking33:

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
    Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    You know the old Salas 6x sure seems to get the job done for me. Stand there throw it out let it sink down and then when everyone quits keep on doing it. One of the keys to getting bit on the iron is to fish it, and it's not easy. How many of you guys wind a big 6x from 5:30 in the morning until 8:00 at night?

It's a pain in the ass but it sure does work. I do not own any butterfly jigs, never will and therefore might not participate in some fun but the old 6x or 6x Jr. for you wimps gets it done

Later, Jeff

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    You know the old Salas 6x sure seems to get the job done for me. Stand there throw it out let it sink down and then when everyone quits keep on doing it. One of the keys to getting bit on the iron is to fish it, and it's not easy. How many of you guys wind a big 6x from 5:30 in the morning until 8:00 at night?

It's a pain in the ass but it sure does work. I do not own any butterfly jigs, never will and therefore might not participate in some fun but the old 6x or 6x Jr. for you wimps gets it done

Later, Jeff

Jeff you speak the truth...I watched you and your bother throw iron for three straight days......and you just hammered them....

don't forget about our favorite birdshit green 7x lites.. how are the hooks holding up???..... when we going fishing again????

Upvote 0

conchydong

Untitled
    Jun 5, 2008
    Pompano Beach FL
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Rock Bottom
    Yoyo jigs are for people that know how to catch fish. Butterfly jigs are for people that get caught by Shimano's advertising techniques. Buying a butterfly jig and shimano's recommended set up= wasted money and :shithappens:. Buying yoyo jigs will put fish in the hold for you and leave money in your wallet for :smoking33:

While you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, most "Butterfly" jiggers do not even use Shimano products. There are many vertical jigs on the market as good or better than Shimanos that many people use. Also most use other manufacturers rods and reels.

Living in FL, we mostly do the Asian style vertical jigging and believe me, it is deadly, very often outproducing fisherman standing right next to you with live bait. Having said that, I do go on Ca. Long range trips and have had good success yoyo jigging, especially for yellowtail.

As John Tuttle stated, both have benefits and neither should be discounted. In my opinion, its best to have as many tools/methods as possible available for your use. Don't be closed minded. I realize that a lot of great fishing methods and tackle were developed in Ca. but the rest of the world has also developed alot of great and fun ways to catch fish.

Upvote 0

bluefinkiller25

Working supports my fishing habit....
    Feb 16, 2010
    Oakland, Ca
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    Flash/Flash II
    One of the keys to getting bit on the iron is to fish it, and it's not easy. How many of you guys wind a big 6x from 5:30 in the morning until 8:00 at night?

I agree with this. To catch fish on iron you have to put in time at the rail with it. Every year on the Shogun after i catch a few fish on bait i try to catch as many as I can on jigs. It takes time and energy, but there is nothing like grinding on a jig and feeling your rod double over after getting hit. The butterfly jigs are cool, but i would never spend the money for them. I calculated that two buy 2 butterfly jigs, hooks, and rings would cost more than what i pay for my car and motorcycle insurance each month.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Plenty of good info on both techniques has already been posted on this and other threads, but the simplest distinction I can make is similar to what John Tuttle said; the advantages of Asian-style jigging are most apparent the deeper the water, while as it gets shallower, CA-style iron has the advantage.
    If pressed, I would draw a pretty hard line at around 300 feet, and in fact it is for those ultra-depths up to 600 feet that the Asian-style technique was born.
    In that 250-300 foot zone its a tossup, and in 250-feet or less, the CA jigs are usually [its fishing, so nothings set in stone!!] more productive.
    The Asian-style jigs are a little more equipment-dependent for best success, and most CA anglers own tackle that is more designed for fishing the CA-style jigs.
    One of my favorite things is to blend both schools of thought, and install CA-style tail hooks onto Asian-style jigs to customize my approach for the conditions of the day.

Upvote 0

dan1

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 7, 2008
    People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Name
    dan
    Boat
    While you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, most "Butterfly" jiggers do not even use Shimano products. There are many vertical jigs on the market as good or better than Shimanos that many people use. Also most use other manufacturers rods and reels.

Shimano Stellas, the favorite among the popping and jigging crowd, the most expensive spinning reel out there, end of story.

I've seen some jig that cost even more than Shimano's. And you are right about using other manufacturer's rods.....they are often more expensive than Shimano's.

Moral of the story? Jigging and popping crowd have more money than west coast crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Upvote 0

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
    May 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    michael higens
    Boat
    n/a
    Thanks guys. I have used both with good success. With rods and screws in my back from my USMC days I found the butterfly rods and jigs not quite as demanding. I have done the same as Zach, catch a few on bait and go to a white or blue/chrome Yoyo. Only recently the butterfly, I liked the fact the butterfly get down faster than the Salas and Tadys. One of the things I did to get passed the need for additional hooks while using the butterfly in the gulf is after they frayed was rewire the hook with sold wire to the split ring. Did not hurt a thing and the same 2 jigs continued to produce. I for sure will always have both like John said, I like as many options available for the occasion.
    BTW Sitonmyface, Take you long to come up with that one......no thanks.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
    Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Jeff you speak the truth...I watched you and your bother throw iron for three straight days......and you just hammered them....

don't forget about our favorite birdshit green 7x lites.. how are the hooks holding up???..... when we going fishing again????

To answer your question Louis and i will be on the Sonny Jones Trip (7-day) on Sept. 30th on the Bird. Looking forward to it and a chance at some scooters.
    Haven't fished for them in a while. Believe it or not I lost one of my hot 7x's on a kelp yellow (broke my ass off) but as we settled up to fish it he was circling around the paddy and tangled up in it and we gaffed him and got the jig back. I retired that one, more that 200 yellows on that jig....that's enough. The hooks you welded up for me work just fine, if you find yourself in So.Cal call me I'm starting to miss my friends...even you Mr. Buzz

Later, Jeff

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    I tried a few retrieves with a 3 oz knife jig set up with 2 assist hooks. Tried these retrieves in thick kelp. Caught a rockfish and snaged a opel eye. Never got snagged.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
    Calabasas CA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Some interesting ideas and thoughts out here so Here is what I have to offer.

It is important to note many folks relate the term "Butterfly" to a particular product along with a great technique commercialized by
    Shimano. At the time their intent, which they did have some success at, was to pair Shimano Rods with Shimano reels to use Shimano jigs. Hey, its business why not?? Though most of us did not end up buying all the Shimano stuff many of us did listen to and watch the good stuff that Shimano brought to the fore. There are many anglers on many coasts who do not have access to live bait who owe plenty to Shimano for making familiar to the fishing public the techniques and use for these types of jigs leading to modifications in the sizes and shapes of the iron now being used for drop jigs created and improved on by many manufacturers the world over. Many of the drop jigs being made are knockoffs being made at low priced factories and coming to market at very reasonable prices and quality. This makes entry into this phase of fishing fairly painless. Original designers are not happy about this but it is the inevitable consequence of success in today's offshore manufacturing world.

For those who might have mis understood Shimano, the technique is not specifically for Spinners made by any company as it is equally well performed and possibly better using reasonably high speed conventional reels. Shimano is probably one of only a few companies out there with deep enough pockets who could have brought this much attention to one aspect of fishing and for this they deserve applause. With that said, Shimano's jigs are not and have not been the rage for many years now.
    As a note, I am not now nor ever have been a rep or pusher of anything Shimano rather I will use anyone's product that works and give accolades to those companies for producing the products.

Next, in my opinion, drop jigs using any technique with some resemblance to Butterfly technique jigging, can be used effectively for both shallow and deep water applications. The 10 to 30 fathoms we on West Coast Long Range continue to hear the skippers over the loud speakers proclaim are where fish are hanging is a wonderful place to use these jigs. In my opinion it is not the depth but the presentation these jigs offer at whatever depth they are used.

A properly performed "Butterfly" retrieve technique is a beautiful choreography filled with grace and style that flat out works for all sorts of finned critters including Tuna. Fortunately for those of us who have no rhythm or cannot dance we are fortunate as we do not need perfection of style to make these drop jigs work as designed. These jigs work by allowing an angler to flutter down the jig through the zone then rip the jig upwards while also having some downward flutter motion. Even if the flutter does not occur in conjunction with the ripping of the jig as one would see using the actual butterfly technique the jig will still flutter and shake beautifully as it descends should the angler just lower the tip of their rod. Additionally if you rip and drop for a second or two and then rip again I do not doubt you will catch fish.

Assist hooks sized to the jaw of the fish you are targeting is my favorite way of rigging. I like to put a split rig attached to a solid ring and a swivel. Jignpop also sells a figure 8 device which allows the angler to place the swivel in front, the assist on the second hole along with the Split ring connection to the jig.
    1 assist or 2 but so far 1 has worked for me.

Though I have been dropping big jigs from Long Range boats for decades, working my butt off after dinner or early morning before light, I am a relative new comer to this Asian or East Coast style of drop jigging. However, I am a believer and will be giving it one heck of a go using a variety of jigs made by a number of manufacturers here on my West Coast Long Range trips starting next month. Anyone interested in trying these things on any trip I am on merely needs to ask and I will provide you with the jigs and an explanation of how I believe they should be fished. After that you guys can experiment and see if you can improve the style and make it comfortable for you.

As others have noted artificial fishing will take some time at the rail and is more work for most then lobbing out a bait and allowing it to swim in a particular direction. Deep dropping may require you to be in just a bit better fishing shape than usual but once you develop some technique, which should take about 10 minutes max, you just might be able to put a few hours of time trying these things. Heck, we might even find they are more effective than bait but only time will tell.

What is cool is unlike most folks fishing bait who actually know immediately if their bait has been picked up by a fish as the spool spin lets you know pretty quickly, fishing a jig needs more of a feel and contact with the bait. Like any Yoyo or drop jig the flutter down of these things can be a real aphrodisiac to most any finned creature looking to eat. Because they are metal and Iron which is not part of a fish's normal diet, heck it is not even part of their vitamin regimen, it will be spit out almost as fast as the fish can wrap its lips around it thus the angler must be ready to set a hook the moment something feels like the bait is hit, the jig stops dropping or even if you have to itch your crotch (Okay, I made up the itch part but we all know the moment we stop paying attention we are very likely to get bit), Set the hook. Worst case is you set into water and continue on with the drop or retrieve. No harm done. This make this sort of fishing a bit more technical in nature which for many of us make it even more challenging and enjoyable. At the very least it simply adds something different to do after days and days of bait fishing.

Shorter sticks such as my Black Hole Cape Cod 450G will be helpful but it is by no means necessary. I have had good luck with a 7 foot SS 70XH and my Accurate 665 two speed. Any reasonably light weight rod, light weight 5-1 reel or thereabout loaded with Spectra will work great. What is really cool is generally fish who get stuck with these things tend to fight less hard as having a big ol jig hanging out of your face probably causes some grief.

Best of luck to all

Jamie

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I like to fish both............... with reckless abandon. If I see a size / color of yo-yo getting ripped up, believe you me that's what I'm gonna prolly do. However, I do like being able to get 5 drops (looks) to 3 drops in the same amount of time. I have gotten bit on the drop more with the butterfly, but I've had 'em eat the yo-yo on the drop many times too, especially with a heavier, narrower jig like a 7xJr heavy or a 7x heavy.
    I've seen the butterfly jig outperform the 6x / 6xJr. blue and white 5 to 4 in a crew (YT) fish off. Just barely though.
    They both work, it just depends on how much shit you want to carry in your box.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    My last trip out I was surprised at how often I got bit by fat yellowtail on a Sumo Jr - almost every drop. Next time out I look forward to dredging for some tuna.

Upvote 0