Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Just a heads up on the TLDs which I do personally love, as they are awesome reels that can be had for a relatively low price and get most jobs done, but for fishing the big BFT by kite, me personally, I would opt for an all metal reel.

Those are truly great reels, only they do have one problem when fishing really big fish. If you're targeting big fish like I believe Dan is doing right now (big Bluefin), then you better be very careful if you decide to hook up to the lugs and harness in. Once you transfer the all the pull directly to the reel when harnessed, those graphite frames tend to break right at the reel seat and game over on your special fish.

I love those reels, but if you do harness in, then try and not completely rest your arms, by still applying a little pulling pressure at all times. This will lessening the amount of torque at the reel seat, and possibly keep it from breaking.

The unknown fisherman:p:
The frames break even with the "A" series TLD's?

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The frames break even with the "A" series TLD's?
I am not completely familiar with the A series, so I cant say for sure, although I did just look them up and tried to view pics, but couldn't quite see what I was looking for.

That said, if the metal seat of the A series reel is connected to the graphite frame, then yes they can possibly break when connected to a harness by way of the harness lugs and using a heavy drag on a large fish.

I can't say enough how much I do love these reels, as I own many tlds and dig them...... super great reels. Me personally, my reels of choice are Shimano and Penn. I am not saying this will happen every time someone harnesses in when fighting a big fish, as I have seen plenty caught when harnessed in without breakage. But if you do harness in, then I would make sure to NEVER completely rest your arms, because once you do so, that is when you transfer all the pull and torque directly to the reel seat, and this is when your TLD reel will become compromised and have a good chance of breakage.

They can get the job done for sure. Matter of fact a potential record BFT was taken on a TLD 50 2 speed just recently, so it can be done, but just be aware, because hooking a fish of a lifetime comes very rarely in most cases, and when it does, you need every little thing going in your favor!

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I've been reluctant to comment on this thread but I do have a couple things to say: First, I agree that the TLD frame (including the A versions) is prone to cracking. I see this fairly often when people use them to fish 80# for Alaskan halibut. (Pretty much every one that comes in the shop needs a pinion bearing as well, but that's a different subject.) Second, I simply have not had the experience of having Avet EX 30's fail. They are among the most bullet proof reels I see in my shop. I'm also impressed how well they seem to be holding up on the LR boats I fish. Those reels are abused and look like hell -- but they continue to fish. I can't say the same thing of other reels I see...

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Upgrade the TLDs with Will Fish or Tiburon frames. I prefer the matte black finish over the gold and silver, tho' I still have my Internationals.

Reactions: diabolicaldog

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Pending World record 213.6lb Pacific Bluefin Tuna Aug 25th 2016
Shimano TLD 50W with 1,000 yards of IGFA 30 (testing 29lb) test line.

Last edited:

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I guarantee that if you had used the Avet Pro EX series (30, 30W, 50 etc) for trolling, you would have never had the problems your having with the HXW Raptors. The raptors are great reels, very strong for their size... But for trolling purposes and big game abuse, you need those bigger, tank-like reels, like the Pro EX series, or Penn's VSX series, or Accurates ATD series, or okuma's Makaira series, etc. They have those bigger drag discs and drag plates for good reason!
-Aren

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
I guarantee that if you had used the Avet Pro EX series (30, 30W, 50 etc) for trolling, you would have never had the problems your having with the HXW Raptors. The raptors are great reels, very strong for their size... But for trolling purposes and big game abuse, you need those bigger, tank-like reels, like the Pro EX series, or Penn's VSX series, or Accurates ATD series, or okuma's Makaira series, etc. They have those bigger drag discs and drag plates for good reason!
-Aren
That's what I've been hearing Aren.

I currently have 12 Avets and as much as I like them, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I am currently over three weeks on waiting for part's from Avet to get my HXW reels put back together. For that reason alone I will be looking to another manufacturer for my next set of reels.

Going to give the Makira Okuma 50IIsea's a shot for my two biggest trollers-kite reels. These will be for targeting the jumbo BFT we have running around right now. Then going to switch out the HXW'S for the MK20IIsea's for my standard local trolling outfits.

Thanks for all the input guy's!

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
What 50s?[/QUOTE]

50w's my go to troll rigs.

I have a makaira sea for my cow setup, but prefer my tiagra for trolling. Smooth!

image.jpeg

Reactions: Black-is-Back

kgpcr

Dec 4, 2008
MN
Name
kevin
Boat
18' Lund
Check out the Fin Nor Santiago. I have a few and they have been used and abused and never a single problem!! They may be a bit heavy but they are tanks! I service them every 3-4 years and never a problem.

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Check out the Fin Nor Santiago. I have a few and they have been used and abused and never a single problem!! They may be a bit heavy but they are tanks! I service them every 3-4 years and never a problem.
Thanks for the advice Kevin.

I have already ordered two silver Okuma makaira 50 wide 2 speed SEA's loaded with 900yrds of 130lb Jerry Brown Hollow and 75yrd Seaguar premier big game pink label 130lb fluorocarbon top shots. Should be here in the next day or two.

Can't wait to try and put something together with the Yummee's and kite this week.

Reactions: johndtuttle

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
You'll love your SEA's -- but do be aware that they are optimized for live bait rising so they have open bearings which require more frequent servicing.

Reactions: Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
50w's my go to troll rigs. I have a makaira sea for my cow setup said:
Man I almost went with the Tiagra's but I wanted to try some of the newer technology out there. Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass!

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
You'll love your SEA's -- but do be aware that they are optimized for live bait rising so they have open bearings which require more frequent servicing.
Thanks for the heads up. The main reason I went with the SEA's was that I thought they had a less progressive drag setting?

One of the things I don't like on the HXW Raptors. The drag lever increases the drag ALOT with very little movement.

Any who. They just showed up to the house so its on!

IMG_20160906_093403874.jpg

IMG_20160906_093506655.jpg
IMG_20160906_093414474.jpg

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
They may not be as shiny or new technology but they take a beating and deliver. Would I be crazy to think these reels would handle a big bft?
They certainly will. I'd say up to 150lbs is possible. Pack it with braid.

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
They certainly will. I'd say up to 150lbs is possible. Pack it with braid.
Exactly. I have 400 yds of spectra on both mine with 80lb top shot. I haven't used them for these big fish but I'd imagine they'd work fine.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
They may not be as shiny or new technology but they take a beating and deliver. Would I be crazy to think these reels would handle a big bft?
Not a first choice given the power of 2-speed reels...but fact of the matter is Penn 6/0 have probably landed more big BFT than any reel ever made or ever will.

You can slowly hot rod them too with upgrades and make a solid tank for trolling.

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Not a first choice given the power of 2-speed reels...but fact of the matter is Penn 6/0 have probably landed more big BFT than any reel ever made or ever will.

You can slowly hot rod them too with upgrades and make a solid tank for trolling.
Yeah I see guys on alantani.com spend several hundreds tricking these reels out. I'll fish them as is or buy newer and better. Still you can't beat a used penn for what they are being given away for these days.

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
Call me old fashioned! I still use Internationals, and all of my reels are 25-30 years old. Cal has been through each of my reels multiple times over the years, but the fish don't seem to care. I like the simplicity of Penns, and the fact that they are bullet proof. I still like to fish 50's, as when I have a big fish deep, I can gain a decent amount of line each time the rod tip starts to lift. I do have a 2 speeded 30 TW, which is my go to sardine reel.

You can still get an older International used for a reasonable price, but you may have to drop additional funds if it needs 2 speeding and/ or drag and free spool upgrades.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Just a bit of trivia.
Although the California state record for bluefin tuna has been obliterated multiple times this year, the previous long-standing record of 243 pounds was caught on a Penn 6/0.
Also interestingly, the "unofficial" state record for bluefin of 339 pounds [never applied for record status] was caught on a Penn 9/0.

Last edited:

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Just a bit of trivia.
Although the California state record for bluefin tuna has been obliterated multiple times this year, the previous long-standing record of 240 pounds was caught on a Penn 6/0.
Also interestingly, the "unofficial" state record for bluefin of 339 pounds [never applied for record status] was caught on a Penn 9/0.
Pictures please

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Pictures please

Of?
Someplace here on BD is a discussion of that monster bluefin [including pics], and the reasons the angler never applied. One theory is that he did not have a CA fishing license, a requirement for record applications. Nonetheless, it was "Just another" miracle catch during the El Nino of 1983.
That "official" record 243-pounder [corrected] was caught in 1990, not sure if CA has published the pics, but is irrelevant after this year anyway.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Of?
Someplace here on BD is a discussion of that monster bluefin [including pics], and the reasons the angler never applied. One theory is that he did not have a CA fishing license, a requirement for record applications. Nonetheless, it was "Just another" miracle catch during the El Nino of 1983.
That "official" record 243-pounder [corrected] was caught in 1990, not sure if CA has published the pics, but is irrelevant after this year anyway.
Wasn't doubting lol. Just want to see it! I've seen some monster Guadalupe but. Not California specs over 240 prior to this year. I've long sworn to people and clients back in the day that the monsters are out there and usually got the look that I needed a lobotomy