Offshore bull dorado solo trip 9/17/21

Surge4130

Aug 30, 2013
San Diego
Name
Surge
Boat
Predator
Went solo yesterday 9/17/21 on my 19' Seaswirl Striper boat to look for some meat. After a few bad trips of dealing with bad weather and other unforseen obstacles, I was determined to have a good trip. I basically did a hail mary type of trip despite all the poor reports except the big bluefin 100 miles west. I had to travel a lot further than I anticipated but it was worth it. There was a lot of green empty water with no birds before I found the warm blue water. It was about 50 miles southwest, I found one paddy holding only small dorados. I hooked and lost 2, but when I saw them, they were only about a foot long. I then continued searching for another paddy with bigger fish. Didn't take too long, smaller paddy, but bigger fish. No birds at all. Very grateful for every catch. Live bait on 25lb test slow trolled and slow retrieve was the ticket. Went 2/5, Thank god!

IMG_1133.JPEG

IMG_1135.JPEG

IMG_1146.JPEG

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congrats on a very nice dorado, and thanks for the report. I was very encouraged by your finding the necktie dorado, they usually show up about the same time as the main yellowfin migration. Come on, October!

Upvote 0