Surfingbuddhist

Almost A Member
Oct 17, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Glen
Boat
4 Reelz
Don and I launched out of Dana Point. Got to bait barge and was told it'd be 1.5hrs before they had more bait. This was about 8am. Newport was out of bait too. Drove down to Oceanside and picked up a perfect scoop of dines. Heard the 277 was producing nice fish the day before. Plan was to head out to the 14 - 277 - 181 and back. Good thing Dana was out of bait, because we reversed the route and hit a nice patty just short of the 181. No other boats around, Don's dine hit the water and bam! starts taking lots of line. Went out 100 yards and did a nice aerial show. Battle on the 20lb outfit took about 30 minutes until I could gaff him. Second dine also got picked up by a dodo, but much smaller. Then nothing else.

Left for the 181, then turned north and saw a nice patty with 2 boats on it. Didn't see anyone hooked up. Decided to keep going rather than crowd it up. About 20 minutes north, on our way to the 277, we saw an even nicer patty with no boats in sight. Picked up another average size dodo and a skipjack, plus all the yellowfin tunas in the 8-12lb size that you could want. Wind/waves was turning pretty snotty by then. Headed home super content.

Don Sigler Dorado 9-14-14.jpg

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Great report...
Unbelieveable your pants and shirt are still white!

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Nice fish! It looks like more dodos are being caught. I attribute it to the now plentiful paddies to be found...thanks Hurricane Marie!!!

Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Beautiful fish! Good job!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
That's a nice one! Congrats

Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
Don and I launched out of Dana Point. Got to bait barge and was told it'd be 1.5hrs before they had more bait. This was about 8am. Newport was out of bait too. Drove down to Oceanside and picked up a perfect scoop of dines. Heard the 277 was producing nice fish the day before. Plan was to head out to the 14 - 277 - 181 and back. Good thing Dana was out of bait, because we reversed the route and hit a nice patty just short of the 181. No other boats around, Don's dine hit the water and bam! starts taking lots of line. Went out 100 yards and did a nice aerial show. Battle on the 20lb outfit took about 30 minutes until I could gaff him. Second dine also got picked up by a dodo, but much smaller. Then nothing else.

Left for the 181, then turned north and saw a nice patty with 2 boats on it. Didn't see anyone hooked up. Decided to keep going rather than crowd it up. About 20 minutes north, on our way to the 277, we saw an even nicer patty with no boats in sight. Picked up another average size dodo and a skipjack, plus all the yellowfin tunas in the 8-12lb size that you could want. Wind/waves was turning pretty snotty by then. Headed home super content.

View attachment 543770

Oh Soooo Sa-Weet! Big Boy DoDo!

Upvote 0

hobiefish

I am not always Grumpy; somtimes I am fishing!
Mar 16, 2007
Chino
Name
duane
Boat
Hobie
Way to do it with the trip to Oceanside for bait. That is why you got rewarded!

Saturday AM was an hour in line waiting for bait so there is no lack of customers right now.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Seeing large dorado doing aerials,what an awesome sight....woohoo!

Upvote 0

Calishark

Hook UP!!!
Sep 12, 2013
San Diego
Name
Glenn
Boat
Ho
I think to say he's 35-40lbs is a bit over exaggerated, these fish look bigger then they weight. I caught a good size female and bull last week both weight 15lb and were little smaller. I'm going to guess 25-30lb max.

Anyway that's a damn good bull for us up here. These big dorado are like panama and Costa Rica and shit. I love seeing a huge bull jumping 4 feet outa the water! Even better when you get the bull to the boat, then 5-6 females are swarming him at the boat curious to what's going on. Then your buddies go bendo on more dodo!!!

Reactions: Surfingbuddhist
Upvote 0