chilidip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
Wow, that is a beauty. There’s no way I would fish that. Belongs in a display on top of fine velvet and back lighting.

Reactions: locvetter

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
...and full of scotch. I don't know how, but yeah - full of scotch.
A bottle of Mac 18 or Johnnie Ghost & Rare 👍
MARVELOUS idea. MUST incorporate a flask rest in the one more box that I have been planning since I decided to donate this one. But, will not be Scotch. Rather Midleton Irish:
Midleton.JPG

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Are those Ame BMX grips on there? If so, what are they used for? TIA
They are, indeed, BMX bike grips, "AME old school BMX Freestyle ROUNDS flangeless bicycle grips BLUE *MADE IN USA* " They have a 4" piece of Schd 40 1/2" inside (tight fit, recommend lube for insert with rubber cement). They are there just placed over two 3/8-16 stainless bolt, where they are convenient to take off and use as knot tighteners.
I have tried dowels, shrink wrap covered 3/4 PVC, and several other things. These are my current best option. Easy on the hands, grip the line well, big enough to leave no or very little curl.

Thanks for asking.

Reactions: chilidip

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
They are, indeed, BMX bike grips. they have a 4" piece of Schd 40 1/2" inside (tight fit, recommend lube with rubber cement). They are there just placed over two 3/8-16 stainless bolt, where they are convenient to take off and use as knot tighteners.
I have tried dowels, shrink wrap covered 3/4 PVC, and several other things. These are my current best option. Easy on the hands, grip the line well, big enough to leave no or very little curl.

Thanks for asking.
Ah, thank you. Not only is she a beauty, but has a wealth of amenities to boot. Well done sir!

Tymeflyme

Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
Beautiful craftsmanship, is it difficult cutting finger joints? I would like to build my own box someday, great job!

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Beautiful craftsmanship, is it difficult cutting finger joints? I would like to build my own box someday, great job!
I have both a shop made jig and an Incra brand jig and find it possible but "futsy." On this particular box I really wanted to make the grain go up and down, but that would mean cross grain on the fingers, which I have learned the hard way causes problems with fingers breaking off during glue up. Here the original board was 11 1/4 wide, which I resawed to 1/2" so I could do the sides with single boards. I don't have enough of that board for another box, and Sapele that wide is hard to find.

junipero01

Boohogger
Aug 8, 2004
San Diego
Name
Alex
Boat
Intrepid
Amazing craftsmanship and talent! I'd be too afraid to take that out and would want it displayed in my man cave (if I had one).

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Another work of art, what became of the other box?

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Another work of art, what became of the other box?
Hey Pete,

It is now on the bench in the family "craft room." I doubt it will go on another trip. Just too big and heavy.

I have one more box in me, I think. It will be:
  • Much lighter weight.
  • Smaller than an SKB, but will hold 3700 size box - probably only 2
  • Everything accessible with one hand
  • Mahogany with Koa trim
  • Optional stand if I don't get a spot on the racks, because I really can't bend over to access it on the deck.
  • Myriad other little thinks learned from the other ones and, hopefully from bloody deck suggestions. (drink holder, flask holder, ...)

Last edited: