Built another box.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Yes, I got a lot of grief for the size the last box I built. Must say it worked well, and did not seem in the way for that 18 day trip.

Recently lost a friend to CA. He had organized an annual little trip - just a day and a half. Many of the guys don't have a lot of gear. I built this and put his name on it, with plan to have it be a community box for this and other trips the guys might take.

Two drawers, a 3" Plano 3700. Top surface for working and slots for pliers and posts for line pullers. Passed the wash down test, with the same silicone gasket I used on the monster.

Raised just a bit, as I have found l like to stash stuff underneath, and also because of the 3/4 to 1" lip that is on most of the boat tackle storage shelves.

A couple of years ago someone much more skilled than I posted a mahogany box, and I went out and fund a similar piece of wood to resew into this one.

IMG_7422.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7424.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Very high quality craftsmanship -- do you do woodwork professionally? Any interest in building a real nice rocket launcher that I could put in my cockpit? Besides materials, what do you think something like that might cost?
    I am far from a pro guy. Retired orthopaedic surgeon, so have done some work with my hands.

Don't even think about building something like this - I started out building it for myself - switched to donating it when I lost Chris. My point is that if one wants to do this right, the components are pricy. While this mahogany was not cheep, it was nothing like the stuff on my last box. This stuff can run upwards of $50 a board foot or more.

What you want is someone who can do this efficiently - not take months like this did.

A place I got, for instance, the stainless drawer slides and Southco brand hinges and latches is https://www.boatoutfitters.com

They make some beautiful custom cockpit appurtenances. - Lots of teak, mahogany, stainless and Starboard.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Loc,
    What type of finish did you apply the the exterior?
    Three coats of System 5 epoxy using the 207 clear harder, followed by five coats of "Compass clear" varnish by Interlux for UVB protection. I would not recommend the Compass Clear, as it dries VERY slowly and no matter the temperature or brush used, I could not get a bubble free surface. On the front and top I then sanded to 2000 grit and polished with StewMac brand buffing polish, which is marketed for guitar finishing. (I actually tried it first on the bottom - and liked it.)

That said, If you got close you would see lots of flaws. Live and learn.

I think I need to have a spray set up, but do not have one that works and am afraid of the learning curve.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Three coats of System 5 epoxy using the 207 clear harder, followed by five coats of "Compass clear" varnish by Interlux for UVB protection. I would not recommend the Compass Clear, as it dries VERY slowly and no matter the temperature or brush used, I could not get a bubble free surface. On the front and top I then sanded to 2000 grit and polished with StewMac brand buffing polish, which is marketed for guitar finishing. (I actually tried it first on the bottom - and liked it.)

That said, If you got close you would see lots of flaws. Live and learn.

I think I need to have a spray set up, but do not have one that works and am afraid of the learning curve.
    Made by West System? Can't find the "System 5 Epoxy"

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
    Jul 5, 2004
    Dublin, CA
    Name
    Harold Head
    Boat
    1971 BW Menemsha
    I can appreciate your efforts on the beautiful box. I took on replacing my entire mahogany ply Whaler console. But I did it in solid mahogany. I'm not a wood worker so the construction learning curve was very steep, and then the epoxy / varnish finish was very frustrating. A lot of sanding and redo's. I almost want to do it over but it's already in the boat.

I'm sure your friend Chris would be proud of the box.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I love the wood box look. From an old timer the original wood box was used for jig and hook storage cause salt water environment needs to breathe to be dry and separate the salt. Jig fishermen way back used to hang the jigs in wood buckets. Modern times we use desiccants and rice to soak up the moisture.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Wow, what a beautiful box and your attention to detail is amazing!

Hard to see in the photos, but what are the two hand grips for? Are they tuna spikes?
    On the left, as the user views, the things that look like BMX bicycle handles are BMX bicycle handles, stretched over 1/2" pvc, which make great knot tighteners. (I find that large diameter knot tightentrs cause less curl in the line.) There are posts attached to the left main handle on which those handgrips stay handy. There is a 7/32 stainless allen wrench inside, that can be used to remove the posts, which reveals the actual box handle.

Similarly, on the right, a knob allows removal of the wooden plier slots, exposing the right box handle. I do not know how heavy this box could be if full, but the handles to which these little storage elements are affixed are hefty 5 7/8" anodized aluminum beasts that are t-bolted to the sides.

Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I can appreciate your efforts on the beautiful box. I took on replacing my entire mahogany ply Whaler console. But I did it in solid mahogany. I'm not a wood worker so the construction learning curve was very steep, and then the epoxy / varnish finish was very frustrating. A lot of sanding and redo's. I almost want to do it over but it's already in the boat.

I'm sure your friend Chris would be proud of the box.
    Trying to reproduce a whaler interior would be very difficult, even if you saved the old stuff to use as templates. It has been said: If you build it and then use it you enjoy it twice. You will enjoy your Whaler woodwork.

Chris should be appropriately proud of himself!! Three different cancers over 6 years, and always just fun to be around.

Loc

Last edited:
    Reactions: hhal and TOTW
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Made by West System? Can't find the "System 5 Epoxy"
    Yes, West System. "WEST System 105 Epoxy Resin"

I don't know why I call it system 5. There is, I thin, another epoxy called system3, that I have not tried.

Sorry for the confusion. Hardener I used was 207.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I love the wood box look. From an old timer the original wood box was used for jig and hook storage cause salt water environment needs to breathe to be dry and separate the salt. Jig fishermen way back used to hang the jigs in wood buckets. Modern times we use desiccants and rice to soak up the moisture.
    I'd not heard of trying to protect lures and jigs with rice or silicate. Gotta think about how to incorporate in next box. Thanks

Upvote 0