Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Resurrecting this thread from three years ago... Did you end up GC'ing it yourself?

In the planning phase of building out on the coast and thinking about going the owner GC route.
You sure did! As I read through the posts I found the discussion interesting, saw I had "liked" one of the comments and then checked the date.

And the VA said the plate in my head wasn't big enough!?

twolabz

Jul 2, 2013
Kitsap
Name
Jason
Boat
NO Boat
Resurrecting this thread from three years ago... Did you end up GC'ing it yourself?

In the planning phase of building out on the coast and thinking about going the owner GC route.
Yes I did GC it myself. I am in the process of doing it again. It wasn't to bad at all.

Reactions: Odin7

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
I am just about done with mine and gonna be about 100 a ft

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Can you share info regarding cost/sqft and time it took?
people get so hung up on this number that doesn’t mean much. Cost per square foot for one is not relevant unless all things are equal.

Was the lot flat or a hillside? Excavation can be $2000 or $50,000.00 or he did it himself.

foundation: flat lot $15,000, hillside or basement $40,000.00

cabinets:$20k or $40k

how crazy did ya go on electrical and did you network and run expensive low voltage?

Are you going to spend $3.00 a foot on flooring or $15.00 a foot on flooring?

will you have and architect draw plans for $20-$30k or buy a $2000 plan off the Internet? Or use a designer and get plans for $3-$5k?

How many buddies or good deals did he get, what did he do himself, heating, what type of windows, siding, the lists goes on and on.....

Cost per square foot does not exist except for some advertising scam by large builders. Then once you sit down with their sales guy you figure out real quick that the advertised cost per square foot was a scam because of the exclusions and costs for changes and upgrades.

You need to actually run a budget sheet just like I would do and price out everything for your individual circumstances if you want anything remotely close.

Reactions: marlyn and wils

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
people get so hung up on this number that doesn’t mean much. Cost per square foot for one is not relevant unless all things are equal.

Was the lot flat or a hillside? Excavation can be $2000 or $50,000.00 or he did it himself.

foundation: flat lot $15,000, hillside or basement $40,000.00

cabinets:$20k or $40k

how crazy did ya go on electrical and did you network and run expensive low voltage?

Are you going to spend $3.00 a foot on flooring or $15.00 a foot on flooring?

will you have and architect draw plans for $20-$30k or buy a $2000 plan off the Internet? Or use a designer and get plans for $3-$5k?

How many buddies or good deals did he get, what did he do himself, heating, what type of windows, siding, the lists goes on and on.....

Cost per square foot does not exist except for some advertising scam by large builders. Then once you sit down with their sales guy you figure out real quick that the advertised cost per square foot was a scam because of the exclusions and costs for changes and upgrades.

You need to actually run a budget sheet just like I would do and price out everything for your individual circumstances if you want anything remotely close.
I did it Years ago, but I had a friend that was a superintendent, a had a lot of
Experience, in track work,
So he helped over see, most of it,
Because he was doing a track,
Close by, and I used a few of his subs,
That help a lot.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
I did it Years ago, but I had a friend that was a superintendent, a had a lot of
Experience, in track work,
So he helped over see, most of it,
Because he was doing a track,
Close by, and I used a few of his subs,
That help a lot.
totally! It’s not rocket science! Fuck.... I can do it! Lol... It is all about a budget, organization, and quality control..... Don't trust any of them... make sure the job is complete and up to standard before you pay or it may never get complete.... Me as a builder they wanted more future work... your one shot, no future work and long term relationship..... I made 15% on a build, and did not mark up all the subs as some do. But I would also guess I save you 10% because of my knowledge and established relationships....

Your savings is very subjective, because you don’t really know which builder charges what and what fuzzy math they are using.... I closed my construction company 6 months ago. Got tired of baby sitting these subs and the lack of good labor.....

Reactions: jer dog

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
totally! It’s not rocket science! Fuck.... I can do it! Lol... It is all about a budget, organization, and quality control..... Don't trust any of them... make sure the job is complete and up to standard before you pay or it may never get complete.... Me as a builder they wanted more future work... your one shot, no future work and long term relationship..... I made 15% on a build, and did not mark up all the subs as some do. But I would also guess I save you 10% because of my knowledge and established relationships....

Your savings is very subjective, because you don’t really know which builder charges what and what fuzzy math they are using.... I closed my construction company 6 months ago. Got tired of baby sitting these subs and the lack of good labor.....
Plus being A drywall Finisher, for 38 years,
help to.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Plus being A drywall Finisher, for 38 years,
help to.
A lot! I’ll bet your drywall is nice! Did you go smoothwall? I just built my own and had the guys do a nice smooth wall job. Looks so good!

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
A lot! I’ll bet your drywall is nice! Did you go smoothwall? I just built my own and had the guys do a nice smooth wall job. Looks so good!
I did light knock down on the ceiling,
And light orange peal on the walls,
But I bluenosed all the corner’s,
Witch looks great.

Reactions: G-Spot