JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Hardest thing Im sourcing, on a budget is the wheel to mount to the motor, any idea's on an 8-10" "pulley"?
Or a cheaper alternative for the front open block pulley as well.

Thanks!

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
I read on the bc sportfishing forum of using two stainless steel IKEA plates or pans bolted together back to back... talk about cleaver in theory. Haven't tried it in real live though.

Reactions: Nichen

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Ive looked at wheelbarrow wheels, just cant find the right size yet, locally anyway, looking online now at little trailer wheels and the like..

dont want a ezpull thingy, want a puller.

reelfast19

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2014
Name
matt
Boat
Cobalt 220 & Tiara 3500 Open "Vertigo"
Grainger has plastic sheaves, I built a puller out of a 12V trailer winch, some all thread and a plywood sheave, really only use it durign shrimp season, I take the motor off after shrimp and leave the davit and pull crab pots by hand.

Nexus-Wanderer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2009
Arlington, WA
Name
Gary
Boat
24' North River O/S & 21' Nexus Dory
I have some parts to pot pullers if you want them. No charge just get them out of my garage. A block and an arm from a Scotty pot puller.

IMG_1057[1].JPG

IMG_1058[1].JPG

IMG_1060[1].JPG

IMG_1062[1].JPG

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
I have a gear reduction plate that I paid for but never used. You mount a side shaft/horizontal gas engine to it and you slow it down. The unit still needs a davit and the snatch block above.

Gas powered units can and will take fingers or your hand off.

wood2turn

Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
I read on the bc sportfishing forum of using two stainless steel IKEA plates or pans bolted together back to back... talk about cleaver in theory. Haven't tried it in real live though.
That's what I did and mounted it to an atv winch I converted. Works fantastic! Not overly fast but allI have to do is put the rope in the pulley and turn on the switch. I built a coiler for it too.

I got about $100 in it total.

I haven't even touched my gas unit in 2 years now...

nwcoug

Captain & Coke
Sep 19, 2011
Gig Harbor
Name
AJ
Boat
19' Northwest "Tin Chalice"
I built one about ten years ago for the old boat. I used a 12" like the pic. I wasn't sure about the strength so I cut a piece of diamond plate alum. and riveted it to the spokes. It was still working great when I sold the boat. I think out was around $30 from Chicago Die Casting.View attachment 535037

RGS

Mar 16, 2012
Poulsbo, Wa
Name
Rob
Boat
16' HiLaker & 24' Fiberform
I made one with a wheelchair motor and made the pully with plywood. The wheelchair motors will run fine on 12V if you disable the brake.

I am traveling now but will post pics when I return home.

RGS

Mar 16, 2012
Poulsbo, Wa
Name
Rob
Boat
Sorry it has taken me so long to upload the pictures. I made one out of plywood attached to a wheelchair motor. It worked well and is quite. I would use a plastic cutting board for the sides if I where to do it again and still use the plywood for the center. I have made some mods and used the plastic for the center and it is slick and hard to get a grip on the rope.

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Cool, Ive been working on mine for a while now, should have it completed today, maybe test it tomorrow.. Wheelchair motor and hub, made the ply disc also, made the boom from aluminum box, and a mount to go into a buddies downrigger mount, Ill probably just make a mount for a couple different boats I go on so everyone can use it.

will upload pics once I get it finished

Reactions: Nichen

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
ok, pics, the mount slides into a buddies downrigger mount, puller is pinned to that, couple holes so can swivel it 90 and pin it for running or take it off. will see how it works and if it needs changing tomorrow.

photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 1 (5).JPG
photo 3 (1).JPG

RGS

Mar 16, 2012
Poulsbo, Wa
Name
Rob
Boat
If you are going to run it on 12V you will most likely have to disable the brake. In my searches on the internet I found out most of the brakes are 24V although some are 12V. If the brake does not disengage it will draw a lot of current. Also on the diameter of the wheel I used a 10" for the center disk and 12" for the outside. I think that you could go a little larger on the center disk and you would still be good. Smaller it will be a lot slower pulling. On battery usage I had an extra battery for the puller originally and I would use it for both days of the shrimping season without charging it and still had plenty of power left. For the power disconnect I picked up a flat 4 connector for a trolling motor from Walmart. I also removed the top and replaced it with a piece of 3/8 aluminum. I did not need the gear disconnect and that was one less place for moisture to get inside. Also made for a cleaning installation in my application.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Brakes off and in the garbage already, this is just a prototype, I expect some changes, but we will see, my wheel center is only 8", I wasnt sure how much it was going to load the motor, I can always make bigger centers, thats why I bolted them all together, incase In needed to change it later.

Thanks
photo 1 (6).JPG
photo 2 (4).JPG

RGS

Mar 16, 2012
Poulsbo, Wa
Name
Rob
Boat
When I was first making mine I used 2 20# downrigger balls to test and it did not load down a 10" wheel.

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
oh wow, ok, good to know, the only other issue we have is the downrigger mounts on his boat are weak, need to beef up the mounts, pretty easy to bend

JohnVH

Johnny 5 is Alive!!
Mar 17, 2011
Lynden, WA
Name
John
Boat
20' of Baylitter
Ill try to get a video of it working today when we go out, in the meantime, here a vid I made of dogfish ramming my crabpot in birch bay, crazy!

Reactions: Deviant