Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
A couple of years ago (almost to the day) I had a U joint bellows fail on me and only noticed it on the way to SD to go tuna fishing see post.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/76437-alby-report-7-14-07-a.html

Well it took about 1 year and 10 months for the noise to really start. My transom bearing was beginning to really growl. Knowing that I want to change to diesel power in the near future, I wanted an at home option for plucking engines from my pretty tall in the driveway boat..

So I hatched this idea for an engine hoist frame. Being an electrician I used parts that were at hand.

Materials used

20 ft of 3" rigid conduit
30 ft of 2.5" rigid conduit
2 junk lighting brackets
2 6" scrap pieces of 2" rigid conduit
4 90 lb bags of concrete
4 3/8 x 2" bolts
a little bit of 20 mil. tape

First I cut out a 16 x 16 area in my driveway that worked with where I park the boat. I dug a hole with a post hole digger that was about 2' 6" deep in the center of the hole I cut in the driveway and one in the planter on the other side. Then I cut and threaded (2) 3" X 2' 6" pieces of pipe and taped them up for protection from corrosion.

I let the concrete harden then inserted (2) 10' sticks of 2.5" conduit into the 3" sleeves in the ground. I then installed the 2" scraps into the old lighting brackets and slide a 10 piece of 3" conduit on top. I then drilled hole through the threaded holes in the brackets into the pipe so I could use the bolts as pins to hold the horizontal in place. The lighting brackets were not my first choice but I wasn't able to find anything else that would work.

If I didn't have the brackets I would have had a welder attach some 3" to some angle iron instead. I also made 2 extenders out of the 2.5" conduit that are about 5' long and will enable me to get the engines above the rail and out of the boat. All that was left was to add a chain hoist that would handle the job.

I got the bell housing off and I'm taking it in to get the bearing pressed in there tomorrow. I also have a few other things to change.

I was trying to upload pics but its all fucked up for some reason.......

Okay figured it out

Last edited:

DaveR

Feb 22, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
28' Skipjack
looks like you nailed it there Dean! Are you switching to diesels now or waiting? If diesels, what did you find for your rig?

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
looks like you nailed it there Dean! Are you switching to diesels now or waiting? If diesels, what did you find for your rig?
No not yet David, can't quite afford that now but I'm staging for it. I'm just changing the bearing and putting it back together, replacing the port shift cable and both the bellows. I have a VP 41A on an engine stand in the garage waiting for its twin to show up on ebay or something.

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Oh and if any BDrs in the area need a hoist feel free to PM me I'd be glad to let a fisherman in need use it.

DaveR

Feb 22, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
28' Skipjack
No not yet David, can't quite afford that now but I'm staging for it. I'm just changing the bearing and putting it back together, replacing the port shift cable and both the bellows. I have a VP 41A on an engine stand in the garage waiting for its twin to show up on ebay or something.
Yeah, it's a tough time to afford a repower, especially going diesel. I'll keep my eyes open for a 41a for you as I'm always poking around ebay, craigslist, etc anyway. Shoot me your email addy and I'll email if I find something worthwhile.

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Very nice. I should look into building a boat shed using the steel conduit. I need to get over 13' 6" height though.
Since I have more wood working tools, I went another route for my engine hoist.
Nice work your self there Jerry. If I didn't have the pipe threader I would have probably went that way.
However, I needed to be able to stow the thing when I'm done because I'm kinda cramped over here but it looks like you got a lot of room where your at. Thanks for the pics I like to see the ingenuity.

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Keep an eye on Craing's List for a gantry. I got a Grainger 12' x 12' adjustable for $500.

DG

medunn16

Captain blue perch!!!
Apr 1, 2006
Lomita
Name
Chris
Boat
Blackman'46'Boat Ho!!!
Now I see what you do with all your extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Keep an eye on Craing's List for a gantry. I got a Grainger 12' x 12' adjustable for $500.

DG
Yeah a rolling gantry would be nice but this thing only cost me about $100 to make including the chain fall because most of the parts were free from work. Not to mention it will stow away in 3 pieces of pipe. All I have to do is patch the driveway and put plugs in the pipes and thats it.

Now I see what you do with all your extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!
Extra money? :rofl:

Captain Curt

Cooter
Jun 22, 2003
Mission Viejo
www.noahstackle.net
Name
Curtis
Boat
24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
Pretty nice Dean............cleaver. Looks like it worked great. Brandon and I used Kapdan & his truck when we put our last engine in.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/check-out-my-boat/40581-more-hanna-engine-install-pictures.html

Don't have the room like you did to build our own. Dan shows up and takes it out..........then shows back up to puts it in and done.

Yours looks damn strong Jerry.........and all that room to work on your boat must be nice.

Curtis...........

The boat Hanna.........

Last edited:

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Pretty nice Dean............cleaver. Looks like it worked great. Brandon and I used Kapdan & his truck when we put our last engine in.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/check-out-my-boat/40581-more-hanna-engine-install-pictures.html

Don't have the room like you did to build our own. Dan shows up and takes it out..........then shows back up to puts it in and done.

Yours looks damn strong Jerry.........and all that room to work on your boat must be nice.

Curtis...........

The boat Hanna.........
Damn, thats a cool little boom truck. My wifey would have probably preferred it if I would have used Dan LOL

I do love tinkering though.

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Yeah a rolling gantry would be nice but this thing only cost me about $100 to make including the chain fall because most of the parts were free from work. Not to mention it will stow away in 3 pieces of pipe. All I have to do is patch the driveway and put plugs in the pipes and thats it.

Yeah it's cheap until it drops the engine through the hull because the "pipe" didn't have any beam strength. "Conduit" is not pipe.

I'm cheap, but I do know the value of safety and good tools. I like the wheels thing. It's easier to move the gantry instead of the trailer.
The great thing is that it is also available for friends to borrow.

dg

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Yeah it's cheap until it drops the engine through the hull because the "pipe" didn't have any beam strength. "Conduit" is not pipe.

I'm cheap, but I do know the value of safety and good tools. I like the wheels thing. It's easier to move the gantry instead of the trailer.
The great thing is that it is also available for friends to borrow.

dg
Well I'm a pretty cautious person I don't like taking chances with stuff like this and did a few tests on the rig before putting the full weight of the engine on it. The wall on the "conduit" is 1/4 thick and I realize that a tube is not as strong as a beam but this thing is overkill. With the full weight of the engine I was able to put my weight (about 210 lb) directly above the hoist and bounce with almost 0 deflection on the conduit. I also installed pins in the ends of it so even if it did give it would not fall through the deck it would only bend slightly.
I have bent thousands of sticks of conduit as an electrician and have a good feel for how it acts when your bend it. Without some kinda of impact like dropping the engine from 3 feet these loads will not be dangerous at all. The only reason I posted it was because I was a little surprised by the result. I though that this rig would be pretty unstable and a little precarious but would be safe. As it turns out it feels very stable and safe.

Also, if I did have a gantry there would be almost nowhere to move it to anyway. Like I said before if anyone want to use this they are welcome to come over and use it :)

Mar 3, 2007
On a big dirt hill in LA County
Name
Jerry
Boat
26' Sea Ray Merc 8.1 375 HP, Bravo III

Curtis...........

The boat Hanna.........
Its very creepy hoisting over 1100 lbs 10' overhead. Hopefully overbuilt it enough to where I dont have a big block sitting on my lap in the bilge.
I live alone in the boonies. I probably wouldn't get help till the neighbors saw the buzzards flying into my bilge. It just wouldn't be right being taken out by a Merc marine engine. If Im going to do something stupid. It will be hitting the Cortez Bank on the wrong day :beerbang:
Funny...... All that room. 120' from the house to the boat on a steep drive. Seems like 30 trips a day working on the boat. :madfire::_hot_:

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Not looking forward to using your hoist Dean but I'm glad you got it ;) :D. Going to start disconecting the motor this afternoon and hopefully will have it ready to pull out after tomorrow. Now I just need to win the lotto so I can get the parts to put the boat back together and try to salvage the end of the season.

Also KapDan was way cool and a great help when pulling my old motor out and dropping in the new power. His boom truck worked sweet.

Last edited: