hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Went bugging since the Pond was glass last night. Left HH about 5 pm no hurry since our spot produces every trip.
We used some Tuna carcasses instead of Salmon heads since we needed to get rid of them.

Pulled 1 set only had 9 nets got 7 nice legals Put in 2nd set by 4th net we were done with limits all quality bugs Limits for 2.,, left Cat at 9:30 for glassy ride home. Here is a few pics.

BUGZ1.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice job, and it's always great when your plan comes together!!

Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Went bugging since the Pond was glass last night. Left HH about 5 pm no hurry since our spot produces every trip.
We used some Tuna carcasses instead of Salmon heads since we needed to get rid of them.

Pulled 1 set only had 9 nets got 7 nice legals Put in 2nd set by 4th net we were done with limits all quality bugs Limits for 2.,, left Cat at 9:30 for glassy ride home. Here is a few pics.

View attachment 801223 View attachment 801224 View attachment 801225

Don't laugh. I'm landlocked here in Texas. Those lobsters that are in the boat. Are they still alive?

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
Don't laugh. I'm landlocked here in Texas. Those lobsters that are in the boat. Are they still alive?

YES

FYI,
Here in California they have to be alive, if checked by dept. fish & wildlife they might need to be tossed back if short.
They can also live up to 2 days out of the water if kept cool with wet cloth.
Robert

Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
I don't read anywhere that they need to be kept alive. It is a good idea but not a requiremen. If they are questionable size I would recommend letting them go. They definitely must be kept hole until ready for consumption...but that does not mean alive. DFW will not likely let you off with a warning and return them to the water if they are undersize. They will be evidence and retained by the DFW warden.

Someone correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I am also unaware of any legal requirement that they be kept alive in California, but they go bad RAPIDLY after they die, even if refrigerated, if the guts are still in it. But, in California it is not legal to separate the tail (except when being prepared for immediate consumption). The only alternative is to cook then refrigerate/freeze the whole thing. But that is not nearly as good as fresh. So, for all practical purposes, they need to be kept alive. At least that is my experience.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Stupid ass law. Leaving the carapace on a dead lobster does not do anything but taint the meat and make them hard to store. Way too much government once again.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I know most that freeze them separate the carapace and just freeze tails. But unless cooking for eating is only time you may. But all fish can be cleaned?? Why not bugs. Crazy.

Upvote 0

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
If the tail was separated from the carapace, there would be no way to tell if the tail came off a lobster of legal size.

Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
I would imagine they could come up with a minimum tail length just as they do for a calico or other minimum length for the fillet.

How can DFW tell if a fillet is from a legal calico if you don't have the carcass? They don't require the carcass to be kept.

Upvote 0

Benado

Jul 2, 2007
Pasadena
Name
Hunter
Boat
25 foot skipjack, Seafox
for lobsters at catalina, the deeper the better 120 to 200 ft, with all the warm water they will be deeper

Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
That was my point...they measure the filet and do not require the carcas...so why do they need the head of a lobster?

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Mmmmmm, all of this lobster tail talk makes me hungry. Looks like I will have thaw out a couple of TAILS!
...............Ap

Upvote 0