Bucket List Tuna

Freddiefish

Mar 5, 2019
Huffman Tx
Name
Freddie
Boat
Carolina Skiff
Hey guys, another newbie here. (Long Range)
I am trying to cross off a few more things off the bucket list before I kick it. Looking for advice on the best time of year to have a decent chance at big tuna. Doesn't have to be a cow but looking for one over 100#. I am probably looking at an 8 or 10 day trip next year.
Any help would be appreciated.
Just an old man trying to empty his bucket.
Thanks

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Nov 10 day. Historically gives shots at 100 pounders. Guadalupe, Lower banks, Alijos (come back), and offshore/island jumbo bft 100 plus pounders. Good luck. Could catch a 100 pound yft and a 100lb bft

Maybe think about pursuing a giant dog tooth tuna also. I caught a 8lber. So want a giant one. Prehistoric tuna. Dinosaur tuna. White sashimi
bigdog_jon-1024x768.jpeg

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
As mentioned fall 10 dayers on a boat with Lupe permits. Don't forget your backyard...I've gotten several 100+ in Port A, though Galveston is closer. With that said, San Diego LR is in a league of it's own...I call our local tuna "camping"

Reactions: ripped

Freddiefish

Mar 5, 2019
Huffman Tx
Name
Freddie
Boat
Carolina Skiff
As mentioned fall 10 dayers on a boat with Lupe permits. Don't forget your backyard...I've gotten several 100+ in Port A, though Galveston is closer. With that said, San Diego LR is in a league of it's own...I call our local tuna "camping"
Yeah I know but Long range is on my list so I thought I'd try and scratch 2 off at once. Venice La. is only a 6 or 7 hour drive as well and I've done that once and will probably go again sometime.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Yeah I know but Long range is on my list so I thought I'd try and scratch 2 off at once. Venice La. is only a 6 or 7 hour drive as well and I've done that once and will probably go again sometime.
8-10 day trips in October and November seem to have better fishing on 100+ fish. One variable is the group of anglers you will be fishing with. Some groups just want to catch fish while others want to target big fish even if that means missing out. Since you have some time I would spend it talking with as many LR captains as possible. Tell them what you would like to do and see what they recommend. No mater what boat, time of year or location you choose to fish there is no guarantee you will catch anything let alone a 100+ lb. fish. Guadalupe permits don't hurt.

I might suggest that you start by speaking with the folks at the Spirit of Adventure. They are super low key and have been doing this a long time.

http://www.spiritofadventurefishing.com/news/

Best of Luck,

Reactions: Cubeye and cow man

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
You also have to look at when the sharks are most active. In 2017 my late September trip went to Guadalupe. My best guess is that we hooked about three dozen big YFT (80-140#) but only landed about a dozen of them.

Reactions: Cubeye

gb58

Nov 10, 2006
vista,ca
Name
greg braun
Boat
none
You also have to look at when the sharks are most active. In 2017 my late September trip went to Guadalupe. My best guess is that we hooked about three dozen big YFT (80-140#) but only landed about a dozen of them.
november 6 day shogun or royal polaris will probably go to Guadalupe. sharks are much less of a problem they seem to leave by then. they can be a bitch in october

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Since it’s a bucket list adventure, try for 10 day over 8 if you can. The two extra days open up more locations. Since this is a bucket list project,I would want to see Alijos, Lupe, and other locations. It’s amazing what Mother Nature has created.

I agree with Fishrock in starting a communication different captains. November, early December are your best time at Lupe, at least with the Sharks. The have to eat and are amazing to watch.

Enjoy our addiction.

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
You have many excellent options. I agree that a late fall trip to Guadalupe Island is a strong option.
The Polaris Supreme will be targeting the big tuna at Guadalupe in late October and November pending permits. Hopefully permits will be in hand by June.
If you look at our schedule, you will see trips listed as Possible Guadalupe. Those will become definitely Guadalupe once the boat has permits.
This boat does very well at the big island and is limited to 24 passengers max.
But like I said, you have many solid options. Lots of great operations, the best anywhere on the world. San Diego Long Range fishing is in a league of its own!

Last edited:
Reactions: RichG

2454 big mike

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2015
Ramona
Name
Mike
Boat
Party crasher
I went through the same thing last year. A friend of mine had a charter on the Apollo in February in puerto Vallarta.
My avatar says it all. 307 lbs and my wife got one 267.
Only 10 guys on the boat. Great crew and time of our life.

Reactions: SCHeadhunter

Freddiefish

Mar 5, 2019
Huffman Tx
Name
Freddie
Boat
Carolina Skiff
I went through the same thing last year. A friend of mine had a charter on the Apollo in February in puerto Vallarta.
My avatar says it all. 307 lbs and my wife got one 267.
Only 10 guys on the boat. Great crew and time of our life.
Was this a private charter or did they put a group together? I can't come up with 10 reliable people to fill a private charter, matter of fact I quit trying. Everyone wants to let me know the day before and we all know it doesn't work like that.

2454 big mike

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2015
Ramona
Name
Mike
Boat
Party crasher
Was this a private charter or did they put a group together? I can't come up with 10 reliable people to fill a private charter, matter of fact I quit trying. Everyone wants to let me know the day before and we all know it doesn't work like that.
MikeeDaGuy does charters and so does Picasso.
I’ve had the privilege of fishing with both guys and wouldn’t hesitate on doing it again.
In fact I’m going on Mike’s trip next February.
They both are on this site and usually have openings early.