Offshore BSFT

Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat
Montauk -> Me shell
These dang fish are so finicky and picky can't believe it how many times (same old story) we were right on them set up and throwing jigs right into their mouths and dropping baits and coming up with nada. Even downsized my leaders from 100# to 60# fluoro and cut out the swivels for direct line to line and still didn't really get bit. Chased them all day from the backside 9 and out north and west a few miles from there... got one bite on a black chovie look alike sniper but dropped the hook. Decided to throw on my wetsuit and go shoot one, first dive first shot tagged a 40# and half stoned it - didn't even put up a fight! Dove 3 more times on foamers and the fish were more skittish and moving so fast I couldn't get another shot. Ended with 1 and was stoked to get the skunk off the boat.

Any divers out there how do you guys approach the foamers when trying to shoot these guys? Do you dive on the edges? Or try and swim in a little closer and tag them in the shallows? Get in front of them and set up and wait for them? It's tough to make a decent dive when diving right after sprinting 100' across the surface with heart beating million times a minute.. still was stoked to land a small one today tho thanks for the advice and info. Bless you guys-

Last edited:
Greenteal
Greenteal
Pretty much swim in the general direction of the foamer, and punch a dive about 40 feet from the edge of the foamer. The leading edge of the school is actually 20-50 feet in front of the foamer. How close were you getting before diving down?
Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
I assume you used a float line with break away? How big of a float are you using? Seems like it could be a fine line between pulling the tip and having a big one sink out your gear never to be seen again....lol

Edit: For anyone thinking about trying this, you should understand that a 40lb fish can drown you if you don't know what you're doing. Even if you know what you're doing but you just mess up and get tangled...

Last edited:
Greenteal
Greenteal
We use a 100ft bungee with a 1200lb core, that stretches 2 times it’s length, attached to a 3atm float. That stretch significantly slows down the fish tiring it out a lot faster than a regular float line making most fight times under 20 min
Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Please don't dive on schools with other boats around. You probably aren't, but we had that happen to a boat I was on. We were clearly heading for a school for maybe 5 minutes, and a boat with divers comes in the 10-15 seconds before we get there, jumps in and says it's his school, causing the school to sound (he had to come in hot to get there). He didn't get any fish and we didn't either. There are so many foamers out there.

stuman
stuman
On Monday at the 267 two divers were jumping in as 4-5 skiffs ran around full speed. I thought it was too dangerous and bailed. I'd feel pretty bad if I propped one of them.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat
Montauk -> Me shell
These dang fish are so finicky and picky can't believe it how many times (same old story) we were right on them set up and throwing jigs right into their mouths and dropping baits and coming up with nada. Even downsized my leaders from 100# to 60# fluoro and cut out the swivels for direct line to line and still didn't really get bit. Chased them all day from the backside 9 and out north and west a few miles from there... got one bite on a black chovie look alike sniper but dropped the hook. Decided to throw on my wetsuit and go shoot one, first dive first shot tagged a 40# and half stoned it - didn't even put up a fight! Dove 3 more times on foamers and the fish were more skittish and moving so fast I couldn't get another shot. Ended with 1 and was stoked to get the skunk off the boat.

Any divers out there how do you guys approach the foamers when trying to shoot these guys? Do you dive on the edges? Or try and swim in a little closer and tag them in the shallows? Get in front of them and set up and wait for them? It's tough to make a decent dive when diving right after sprinting 100' across the surface with heart beating million times a minute.. still was stoked to land a small one today tho thanks for the advice and info. Bless you guys-

Ya for sure Breakaway gear 30’bungee to 50’ poly float line to first float the spill pack with 90’ then second float - it’s mark Morgan’s setup. Thanks for the advice so sounds Like might be better hunting inbetween tides when fish are down?

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat
Montauk -> Me shell
We were solo
Please don't dive on schools with other boats around. You probably aren't, but we had that happen to a boat I was on. We were clearly heading for a school for maybe 5 minutes, and a boat with divers comes in the 10-15 seconds before we get there, jumps in and says it's his school, causing the school to sound (he had to come in hot to get there). He didn't get any fish and we didn't either. There are so many foamers out there.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    There is a charter dive boat "Bobby" something outta newport that has been a real jerk. Crowding in on everyone, dropping divers way too close. Really lame. Bad for everyone.

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
    Oside
    Name
    e-man
    Boat
    204 Angler
    When diving on a foamer, try to figure out the direction there headed and get in front of them and drop the diver off. Swim as hard as you can towards the foamer and once you see the glitter show, make a drop as deep as you can go and watch. Also, if there are other boats around, be safe and selective. Dropping a diver will shut any bite down, a former or a paddy. Its been my experience with that. If you got there first, great, but these guys pop up all over. Plenty of fish out there and always better and safer to find your own.

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
    May 18, 2013
    Cali
    Name
    Dan Monster
    Boat
    Predatormonster
    Diving / shooting puts the fish down about 50 % of the time . More when you hit one one. My bud caught a nice one fishing while I was in the water . Depends on who is diving .

Upvote 0