Brothers Trip with Cedros Island Adventures 9/14-9/18/2021

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    My two brothers and an additional friend all met up in SoCal on Monday the 13th and the brothers grabbed a great dinner in Little Italy but kept it pretty tame as we knew the next day would be a full one. We got to CBX early the next morning and made a smooth transition over the bridge to meet up with the group we would be flying with at Starbucks. The flight over was smooth and the guys we flew with all seemed to be good dudes with lots of chatter about tackle, species and locations of what we would be fishing for. The team for COA was spot on with getting our stuff off the plane and out to the lodge that didn't disappoint when compared to the website and pictures. Carlos gave us the quick lay of the land along with boat assignments and encouraged us to keep our tackle limited to a couple of rods in order that we not waste fishing time on an already short day.

Day 1
    My brother Dennis and I were assigned to Indy's panga which was clean, well powered and has a wide open front platform that we often fished side by side up front. We made a short run southeast where we almost immediately got into nice 10-18lb yellows along with Bonita that were sufficiently stupid and demolished our smaller size Deadhead yo-yo irons that I would regret not bringing more of. I lost one larger fish on a breakoff and another to a Sea Lion (Indy "f-ing Lobos!") but got our two 5 fish limits of YT in about an 90 minutes. We worked our way up the coast in search of Calicos but the conditions and spots weren't right without much time left so we headed in. The beer was cold, dinner was good and the staff are all really great.

20210918_102648 - Copy.jpg

20210918_085320 - Copy.jpg

20210914_161635.jpg

Day 2
    Indy was wanting to chase yellows again but we wanted bass, sheepshead and halibut but Indy stopped off at the same community hole as the day before and then told us the wind the wind was too much to go to the "Mucho Sargasso" spot that we were looking forward to. We scratched out a few Bonita and Dennis got a YT on yo-yos but were really itching to head north to chase Calicos. Indy said "uno momento" just prior to me hooking up with something that felt like the right kind which at first I assumed was a YT since it was pulling harder and hit deeper but a couple of minutes later I came up with a black sea bass that was to gaff before I had a chance to consider anything. The fillets look amazing and I'm sure it will be enjoyed as something I won't likely catch/keep again. We stopped in front of COA for a few pictures and headed up about halfway north which it turns out wasn't near far enough north (keep going!). I mentioned to Indy that I'd be willing to pay extra for fuel but I'm not sure he understood my awful Spanglish to take us further. We spent the afternoon trying for bass and halibut where we did okay on Calicos and managed one small halibut.

34361.jpeg
    34362.jpeg

Day 3
    Last full day...NO YELLOWS - Norte or bust. We made the long the run up and got all the way to Campo Punta Norte only to once again be turned back due to the wind but the trip was still a great call. While we never did see the kelp beds that YouTube promised, we did slowly work our way down the rocky coast and hammered the Calicos. No monsters but we got 120-150 fish up to 5 1/2lbs (on a scale) and lots of 3-4lb versions. We started out throwing MC Swimbaits in various colors and sizes but eventually settled into a nice rhythm with stick baits. I had lots of Daiwa LCs while Dennis had those along with one remaining Colt Sniper left over from our BOLA trip. That bait out produced mine at least 3/2 and he had several multiple fish hook ups with one cast resulting in three fish as they really wanted to kill the sniper. We are both fairly serious bass guys and the key was the cast. An accurate toss into foamy chutes between or next to rock formations with a twitch, twitch, pause approach seemed to bring us the bigger fish with almost all the 4lb plus fish hitting on the pause to the point where we were calling our shot after making what we thought to be the right cast. With torn up thumbs and hands we worked our way down south stopping a few times in a failed attempt to trick something better than a fun-sized halibut. On to the lodge for libations and dinner which was fried Mako and was my favorite meal of the trip.

Apologies on the lack of pictures here. I shot a ton on the GoPro but haven't even unpacked it yet.

20210917_055923 - Copy.jpg

Day 4
    Last day, short day with only a trip from 6-9am which was shorter than I had expected from the site and info. All four of us piled into Indy's boat and headed out to the day 1 area. Fishing was just okay with a few YT and lots of Bonita that we had to yard in due to the sea lions that were everywhere. A few boats got a Dorado or two but we never saw any. Despite that we had great time and the smart-assed energy and laughter went way up. I don't know that I'd enjoy full days with four fishing on a panga but for the morning session it was good to have all
    my brothers together. The trip home was super easy and we got stateside faster than we anticipated.

20210918_085634.jpg

20210918_063101 - Copy.jpg

I will really miss seeing the sunrise over the ocean every morning

20210918_063010 - Copy.jpg

My brothers Pat & Dennis

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/info/pics...and NICE FISH ALL
    Nice tasty Black Seabass...lucky you. I all
    my trips in Mexican Waters never hooked
    one I could keep. That's fishing. LOL Glad
    you all had a great time. Miss Cedros trips.

Reactions: grahams98
    Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
    Trabuco Canyon CA
    Name
    O
    Boat
    The Snapper Slapper
    Great trip and great write up. It's nice to see pictures of you guys. It sounds like the brothers had another awesome adventure!

Reactions: grahams98
    grahams98
    grahams98
    I've heard mixed stuff on BOLA lately but the web loves that crap so I'd love to hear your thoughts on BOLA vs the rest of Baja. My wife will join us next trip so we were thinking Loretto but are wondering if the fishing stacks up?
    Upvote 0
    grahams98
    grahams98
    We all loved the trip but agreed that the BOLA YT are just nastier from living in all that current. I did enjoy being healthy this time and short stroking fish instead of wuss mode like I did in BOLA. We missed hitting town to grab a meal and experience the culture so we may do something different next time.
    Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Great report, wish my brothers had my passion for fishing.
    It is a huge blessing. When we were kids with no dad around and Mom at work, Patrick took that challenge on and showed us the ropes. Bouncing lead heads off million dollar yachts from Art's Landing skiffs in Balboa, city park Bluegill or climbing over barbed wire fences to sneak into rock quarry lakes for bass we did it all. LA & OC were different in the 70s and kids could get away with raising themselves :)

Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
    Mar 2, 2006
    Colorado
    Name
    denis
    Boat
    deadhead luees
    Great pictures great report thanks. What color deadhead lures we’re u using. ? Fisherman always ask what’s working. Tight lines denis

Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Great pictures great report thanks. What color deadhead lures we’re u using. ? Fisherman always ask what’s working. Tight lines denis
    I only had the smaller mint and root beer colors in the box due to weight restrictions as I thought surface irons would be the ticket. They both worked good but the mint seemed to be best until Diablo Lobo decided he needed "Jewelery by Denis" in his upper lip.

Upvote 0

maguro51

Sep 9, 2006
    San Gabriel Valley
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    none
    Good report. My partner and I have been fishing Cedros for the past three years out of four. We target Bass only. 3-4 # with an occasional 5-6 are fun, especially on the iron. We enjoy Cedros, but the wind is a limiting factor, as well as limits to taking tackle to, as well as fish home. Did I mention that we are getting too old to balance ourselves up in the bow, especially in short chop LOL. So I'm considering LA Bay, to fish cabrilla sardinera, with plastics, hard baits, and surface iron. Sounds like you have done both so would your rather, Cedros or LA Bay? Thanks.

Reactions: grahams98 and denis
    Upvote 0

grahams98

• Jun 25, 2008
    Dexter, OR
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Good report. My partner and I have been fishing Cedros for the past three years out of four. We target Bass only. 3-4 # with an occasional 5-6 are fun, especially on the iron. We enjoy Cedros, but the wind is a limiting factor, as well as limits to taking tackle to, as well as fish home. Did I mention that we are getting too old to balance ourselves up in the bow, especially in short chop LOL. So I'm considering LA Bay, to fish cabrilla sardinera, with plastics, hard baits, and surface iron. Sounds like you have done both so would your rather, Cedros or LA Bay? Thanks.
    Both are great but having me next to my two brothers three wide in the back of Juan Cook's Parker in BOLA catching Cabrilla on nearly every cast was magical. Both are amazing target specific fisheries where the right cast was crucial but the BOLA Cabrilla are bigger and perhaps meaner. That day is probably one of my top five memories in life let alone fishing as my brother Pat was just coming back from cancer and we just didn't know if we would get another day in the sun to do that.

BTW: I just saw a YouTube video last night on the back side of Cedros with tons of kelp and Calicos that may have changed my opinion had we been able to go there.

Upvote 0