http://www.brooklyn-fishing.com/
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
Cow Nose Rays are about

Cow Nose Rays are huge venomous Rays that we never bring on the boat. I avoid them but cumstomers enjoy the fight. This Friday I got out on a terrific day trip, and fished through a morning rain with a light crowd on the Marylin Jean. We had new friends from Orange County, and Queens. And everyone had a great time. Friday mornings are often wonderful trips. The boat is usually light and crowds happy. These guys had a great time and I pulled in my limit. We had Weak Fish, Rays, Porgies and Sea Bass. The Sun came out by 10AM and the weather was cool and breezy on the sea, even though we spent most of the morning inshore in Jamacia Bay.

With the clam shortage, bait has been a constant problem in the wake of the COVID-19 lockdown, I picked up blood worms from Stellas Maris at $13 a dozen, and Shrimp, which from the bait shop is $6 a pound and $8 a pound on the boat. Porgies have proven to love the shrimp. It just can't be denied. Without the extra bait, one is left with the Free Clam Bellies.

Clams Bellies catch great fish, but destroy your hands since it is liquefied goop in a stew of digestive enzymes. It is also very difficult to get on the hook without practice. The fish do love it though. But at a dollar a fish, for worms, this can get expensive quickly.

As the weekend rolled in, fishing continued at a workman's steady pace with lots of happy patrons to the docs. Saturday night nearly everyone on the docs limited out at the tin cans. This is an area of fishing at the mouth of the harbor just south of the Breezy Point Jetty. On Sunday, the heat war beating down, but the fish cam up along the Rockaway Reef. I personaly didn't do so well. Sometimes it just seems I have a bad day for inexplicitable reasons, may it be tiredness, or a bad match for equiptment. But the boat filled up on a stready beat of porgy, with some triggers and sea bass in the mix. Everyone walked off the boat with smiles.

1024x574-IMG_1216.JPG

Upvote 0

mrbrklyn

http://www.brooklyn-fishing.com/
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
Every day lately it seems like a larger and larger Porgy comes over the rail.

Upvote 0