Jaysons999

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
So I picked up a d7 from a buddy of mine that managed to pull it up from the bottom somehow. It sat around for about a year before I took it off his hands the other day. Someone lengthened it by a foot with some aluminum tubing without changing the position of the guides. The line would rub on the handle so I decided I would cut it off. I put a reel on it where it felt like it should be. Loaded it up and this happen. My question is can I slide a graphite blank up inside of it and repair it? Or is it a lost cause? Pretty bummed I didn’t think that it would still have water in it. I figured with all the rod gurus around maybe someone had some advice. I know the action will never be the same but I’m sure I could repurpose it. Thank you in advance for any insight.

E56A4327-018F-4B5A-B06B-BDED74FC75CF.jpeg 14DF6FF3-D369-4993-8D47-180CD0CDE2A1.jpeg

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
So I picked up a d7 from a buddy of mine that managed to pull it up from the bottom somehow. It sat around for about a year before I took it off his hands the other day. Someone lengthened it by a foot with some aluminum tubing without changing the position of the guides. The line would rub on the handle so I decided I would cut it off. I put a reel on it where it felt like it should be. Loaded it up and this happen. My question is can I slide a graphite blank up inside of it and repair it? Or is it a lost cause? Pretty bummed I didn’t think that it would still have water in it. I figured with all the rod gurus around maybe someone had some advice. I know the action will never be the same but I’m sure I could repurpose it. Thank you in advance for any insight.

View attachment 1001094 View attachment 1001095
Is that the one you sent pictures of?
That's why I pull the fuck out of them before I buy.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Better to happen there than getting it all dolled up and have it break on a big fish. You might try to fix it but I think I'd use a glass blank so it flexes better. It'll never be the same though. Pretty much sucks any way you slice it

Reactions: Jaysons999

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Gaff!!!!

Jaysons999

Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
Yeah pretty much screwed is what I thought. Got it for next to nothing thankfully but still blows. Thanks for the feedback guys.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I feel your pain. I broke a D8 in my living room once—in front of my buddies while trying to show them how great it loaded up. They sure got a kick out of it!
In any case, it’d be pretty hard to trust a rod that folded relatively easily. Even if you trusted the repair, could you ever really trust the rest of the blank?

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Yeah pretty much screwed is what I thought. Got it for next to nothing thankfully but still blows. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah, it's pretty much over for that water soaked D7. Never be the same, even with E glass inserted. Let it dry out, and someone can use it for buttin....

Reactions: ghetto_dad

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Ouch!

Amadeus

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
I am in the middle of snapped rod repair project. YMMV.
  1. Take both sections and go to Squidco and see if they have a ferrule set that will fit.
  2. If yes, you will most likely need to remove the guide from the broken upper section to install the corresponding ferrule half on it.
  3. It may be necessary to shim for a tighter fit before gluing with epoxy.
  4. Glue the other ferrule half to the other broken section.
  5. After drying, fit the two sections together.
  6. Since the ferrule now either partially or completely covers the area where the original guide sat, a new single foot guide may offer the best option to place a guide ring as close to the original ring's position.
  7. Wrap new guide in place.
Again, YMMV.

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Step 1. Glue stem of pine cone decoration into broken stub.
Step 2. Place into umbrella stand.
Step 3. Text photo of it to Martha Stewart and say, "What a good boy am I!"

:profile:

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: pacificscout

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
back in my old dana bait and tackle days, we had so many trulines snap after being wrapped that we pull on every blank that came in the store. one day I broke 10 blanks in a row , {all d8's , lol}, before the delivery driver made me stop. they were only second to the femnwick pacific sticks for breakage. fiberglass resin is always curing, and old rods don't get stronger they degrade , get dried out , and weaken. any old rod I buy , is going to be cheap. I liked sabres , but they have gone up in pricing, defeating the reason they're good , cheap, good action, and if they break big deal you only got 40 or 50 bux in them. i'd never spend 500 bux on a 40 or 50 year old rod , and expect it to hold up , the way I fish. i'll just go back to calstars, they're quality , and strength is your best value. seeker used to be a great company , but it's turned over so many times it's run like a hobby not a 1st class rod mfg.

Reactions: Cubeye

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I the real early days,John came into my store and tested every blank we had in stock.He would put the butt against his shoe.Bend the blank over and THEN twist it right and then left.He said if a blank had bad lamination it would separate and brake.A defective blank he said will always break in the twist,the line you see running up the length of the blank.Early 60s.FWIW,Tom

MisterBandit

Aug 6, 2008
corona del mar, ca
Name
rick
Boat
All In
back in my old dana bait and tackle days, we had so many trulines snap after being wrapped that we pull on every blank that came in the store. one day I broke 10 blanks in a row , {all d8's , lol}, before the delivery driver made me stop. they were only second to the femnwick pacific sticks for breakage. fiberglass resin is always curing, and old rods don't get stronger they degrade , get dried out , and weaken. any old rod I buy , is going to be cheap. I liked sabres , but they have gone up in pricing, defeating the reason they're good , cheap, good action, and if they break big deal you only got 40 or 50 bux in them. i'd never spend 500 bux on a 40 or 50 year old rod , and expect it to hold up , the way I fish. i'll just go back to calstars, they're quality , and strength is your best value. seeker used to be a great company , but it's turned over so many times it's run like a hobby not a 1st class rod mfg.
Please enlighten me as to how Seeker is run like a hobby...

Reactions: Cubeye