PENN

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
Maybe I'm naive, out of the loop, or whatever else, but if you asked me 5 years ago if I thought I would catch a swordfish in the backyard I would have laughed. But here we are learning this new methodology, bouncing ideas around, and learning different techniques and trying to approve upon them. Seeing other people do it lit the "but why not me?" fire.

I was lucky enough to be invited on my buddy's boat down in OC. He's the best fisherman I know. We had been talking about how I really need to get one for some time. He had been trying for the 4 previous days with no luck, refining the rigging and execution, and putting in the time. Then I show up. I know the fundamentals of the rigging, done my due diligence on researching the basics, but no practical experience. On the way out he told me I was the angler having never caught one and he was driving the boat. No pressure.

Going manual with Tiagras and Talicas, 100lb solid braid, 9lb weights, million pound leader, and sent down the pre-rigged So Cal Deep Drop squid with big ass circle hooks. Flashy disco lights everywhere. Had to use a line counter... a fucking line counter?! Only one normally on the boat is on the downrigger! One buoy rod and one tip rod.

As we sit there staring at the rod and buoy, I realize we're just fishing a dropper loop. Basically halibut fishing or sea bass fishing with heavy gear. I can do that...

Soon, the buoy indicator plops over on it's side, no longer being held down by the 9lbs of weight below. Are we bit? We're bit! What do we do now? We backed down on the buoy, unclipped and stowed it. The fish is coming up to the surface as we continue to back down. I'm making hundreds of yards back, thinking "This is easy. This thing wants to die." Turns out it didn't. Came up to the surface to show face, puked a bunch of market squid, and began to take me for a 3 hour ride. Mean son of a bitch. Got it to leader twice only to have him sound out to a couple hundred yards below the boat. Finally, got it boat-side and stuck it with the flying gaff, then two others, then tail roped. Went 196.5lbs. Incredible day, feeling accomplished, and stoked on the achievement.

IMG_3686.JPG IMG_8396.JPG

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Awesome job, I remember both my first broadbill and first striper, the broadbill was a lot meaner, the striper came up after about 25 mins and let us release the hook and took off to live another day, the broadbill fought every inch of the way, all the way to the gaff, wasn’t quite as spectacular as yours, took about an hour and a half but was also a much smaller fish. Those sons of bitches are mean!

Reactions: C.Bergs
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Props for doing your homework it payed off big time!

Funny how fishingfrank was the first one to post; the other guy who did his homework.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
damn good! we saw a huge broadbill , literally , on Monday. we saw what we thought was tuna boiling, but it was a swordfish. we snuck up on it , and saw a huge bill working back and forth sticking out of the water like 5' . then it got spooked and took off. they're the ultimate catch.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    How many different swordfish species in SoCal are there?
    I read broadbill.
    Are there more locally?
    OC/LB area.
    Thank you for your brief intellect on said fish.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Unfrickingbelievable. Catch of a lifetime right there.

Now go get yourself an opah just for shits and giggles!

Upvote 0