Bringing fish back from Baja??

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by SCOTCH, Aug 24, 2017.

1. SCOTCH

SCOTCH Newbie

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    25' BW Outrage "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
    Hi there,

Doing the annual Baja fishing / spearfishing road trip and had a question about bringing back frozen packaged filets across the border.

Normally we bring a shitload of coolers and bring all the fish back whole on ice. That way there is no question about limits, species, etc.

This trip we were thinking about processing the fish at camp and bringing backs filets. Anyone know the laws regarding this?? Can't seem to find any info on the customs website.

Thanks,
    Geoff

2. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Reel Obsession" & 17' Whaler
    I have never had an issue bring fillets back over the boarder. I used to use a place in Los Barrilles and another in Cabo. Smoke 1/4 of the catch and vacuum bag the rest. I did always keep the receipt just in case of questioning. I think the border patrol will green light you without issue. Maybe call just to be safe?

3. Baller

Baller Lives to fish the surface iron..!!!

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    We just returned from BoLA. We left the skin on just to be safe so species can be identified. Be easier to have some ready for the military check point guys. Makes getting through a real piece of cake..!! :)

lkatdpelicanfly likes this.
  4. Gearhead 59

Gearhead 59 Member

Name:
    Fleetwwod
    Boat:
    Anyone I Can Get On
    When I went down to Bahia Los Angeles I brought my own vacuum sealer and processed everything down there and vacuum sealed it, you may want to leave just a piece of the skin on the fillets in case anybody questions it put that facing up and they'll be able to tell what kind of fish it was that you caught I've never had a problem processing it that way and putting it on Ice in a cooler.

5. Baja Orchid

Baja Orchid Kill em, gut em, fry em!

Name:
    Orchid
    Boat:
    Pangas
    So far none of my customers or me have had any issues with filleted fish. You will be just fine. Have a great time!

6. eversavage

eversavage Newbie

Name:
    C Liv
    Boat:
    n/a
    i have never had a problem.. one time i did get stop.. they asked what i had.. i said fish..

the looked the cooler and closed it right away.. it was the same cooler we used to throw the fish in on the boat. so it had fish smell

7. Philits42@yahoo

[email protected] Newbie

Name:
    Philits
    Boat:
    Grady White
    I bring a freezer and a generator on the back of my suburban full of fillets every year from Loreto never has anyone said a word about the fish once or twice they looked in the freezer in 6 trips

8. finfan

finfan Newbie

Name:
    STEVEN
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin FB
    Came back from PV with two buddies and three ice chests of vacuum packed tuna landed in TJ and drove our truck across the border. US customs says "thats a lot of fish, what are you guys going to do with all that fish?" we said "eat it". Customs guy says "that a lot of fish, you may have pay an import tax on that fish, are you going to sale that fish?" We said "no we are going to eat it", he said "thats a lot of fish, you are going to have to go to secondary." We wait a half hour in secondary and the Customs guy shows up and looks at our coolers and says "thats a lot of fish, what are you going to do with all that fish" we said "eat it".
    Well you might have to pay an import tax on that fish let me get my supervisor.
    We wait another half hour and the supervisor shows up and says" wow thats a lot of fish what are you going to do with all that fish" and we said "eat it" and he said OK go ahead............

REPO and Bill Erhardt like this.
  9. Gearhead 59

Gearhead 59 Member

Name:
    Fleetwwod
    Boat:
    Anyone I Can Get On
    Yeah it seems like everybody always wants to put their hand in your wallet and pull some money out, I'm glad you guys didn't have to pay tax on it most of the time they're pretty cool we left a piece of skin on each fillet so they could distinguish some what what kind of fish it was I've actually brought back clams deshelled in coolers and they question that and I tell them it's bait.

10. drsneeze

drsneeze Newbie

Name:
    Darrell
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
  11. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    My info is outdated I think but back in the early to late 80's the rules was "chunk fish up to 35ibs" I remember that cos I use to take fisherman down to East Cape baja for 7days 6 nts trips, we couldn't fillet but to just cut the heads n tails off in stuck them into the coolers. We have never had customs bothers us or even check.