bringing canadian fish to the usa

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by dragonballs, Apr 10, 2009.

1. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    If I have a canadian license and I fish for salmon and halibut around sooke. what are the rules for bringing them back into the us by boat.:finger:

2. Strrykerr

Strrykerr Newbie

Name:
    GP
    Boat:
    28 Albemarle (Strrykerr)
    As long as the fish doesn't say "HEY" when clearing customs you should be good to go!

3. dragonballs

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    I didn't think I had to clear customs if I didn't touch land in canada?

4. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Nauti Dog

Name:
    Chandler
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy Reel Nauti
    from my understanding, if you leave a washington port to fish canadain waters. You can bring back halibut, but you can only bring salmon back IF salmon fishing is open at the port you return to.

you don't have to clear customs if you don't get off the boat or drop an anchor.

5. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
  6. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    we do this all the time and know the ins and outs to a tee. it is a shit show to say the least. pm me and i can run it thru with you

7. Hoghunter

Hoghunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    nonya
    I have went to Sooke and other BC destinations for many year's to fish for Salmon and Halibut. Here's what I've always done and have never had a problem.

1) Clear customs in Victoria and tell them you're there to fish.

2) Go do your fishing and record all your catch on Canadian punch cards.

3) Stop in Friday Harbor on your return and clear US customs and declare the fish you caught.

This has always worked for me and I've been checked more than once.

8. Driver

Driver Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Marrs
    Boat:
    22' Seasport
    hey dragonballs are you going to sooke? I have been wanting to go up there and learn the area. When are you planning on going? my understanding is as long as you dont touch shore you dont have to clear customs.

9. Hoghunter

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    nonya
    If you're going there to salmon fish then you better clear customs coming and going or you will wish you had if WDFW meets you at the dock upon return.

Sooke is a nice are to fish. Get's crowded come spring when the big nookies start cruising in there. The JDF derby is in June and unless you like derbies I wouldn't fish that weekend.

Watch for the westerlies as they can get nasty fast in that area.

10. dragonballs

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Driver I want to fish there I don't have any set dates as of now I will give you a shout.:finger:

11. Driver

Driver Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Marrs
    Boat:
    22' Seasport
    sounds good man. let me know in advance and I will go up there with you.

12. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones Dr. Fong

Name:
    Dr. Fong
    Boat:
    Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
    Count me in on this Sooke thang! I have always wanted to fish it!

13. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    Jeff - Per discussions with Homeland Security and Customs: You don't have to clear customs if you aren't throwing anchor or touching land. Why would the WDFW care anway? We go from Neah to Canada back to Neah many days during the season, and the WDFW counts our Canadian halibut and reports that to the Canadians along with our boat name and boat registration number.

14. Hoghunter

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    nonya
    That doesn't surprise me that Homeland Security and Customs would tell you that as they don't enforce the fishery rules. WDFW cares because they want to make certain the fish were caught in Canadian waters and not US waters.

What I've always been told is that if you land fish in the USA out of season without proof that you got them in Canada then you will be cited.

Example: You go to Sooke fishing in May for Salmon and return to the Port of Everett with your limit of nice kings. Salmon fishing is closed in Washington waters at that time so you have no way of proving they came from Canada except of your Customs clearance going into and out of Canada. I have been checked twice under these circumstances and even then the fisheries guy gave me the once over as he wanted to believe I got the fish in US waters. The same thing applies to your limits. Canada will often have different limits for Salmon and Halibut than what we have. Simply punching a Canadian license doesn't mean you caught the fish in Canada when it comes to WDFW. With the custom's clearance then it makes you legit in their eye's.

I know lot's of folks run over to Canadian waters for Halibut and return and so far they seem to be allowing that. I will tell you that the Canadians don't like it and that's main reason why you now have to got to Canada to buy a license to fish Halibut on the Canadian side. With the cutback in Halibut limits for Canada don't be surprised if they no longer allow this practice without landing and clearing customs in and out of Canada.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  15. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    Right, that goes along with the whole not being able to bring fish back if it isn't open for fishing in the U.S. port that you are landing the fish. Salmon and halibut are goverened by different regulations though (halibut by the IHPC and salmon by the feds). They allow you to bring halibut back to the U.S. on a day that halibut is closed in the U.S. However, that is not the case for salmon. If you wanted to catch a king on the Canuck side and bring it back to a port closed to fishing for kings (in the U.S.). You HAVE TO clear customs, have the fish checked by the Canadian DFO, receive documentation that the fish has been checked by the DFO, and then return to the U.S. of course at which time you have to clear U.S. customs because you touched land in Canada.

It is a wonderful clusterfuck.

Yes, the Canadians don't like it, but they fail to realize that they are owned by the commercials who have 88% of the TAC. It is just easier to go after the "MERICANZ".

16. richmake

richmake Newbie

Name:
    chad
    Boat:
    Fleet of 25' grady white sailfish
    I know lot's of folks run over to Canadian waters for Halibut and return and so far they seem to be allowing that. I will tell you that the Canadians don't like it and that's main reason why you now have to got to Canada to buy a license to fish Halibut on the Canadian side. With the cutback in Halibut limits for Canada don't be surprised if they no longer allow this practice without landing and clearing customs in and out of Canada

Now curiousity has me in the conversation.
    The above statement is true as I have been to meetings up here and the southern boy's are all over this...
    Now...let's just say hypothetically that some of us wanted to go across the line south to fish for certain species and not declare customs and bring back our fish into canada...what are the rules?
    Let's say a gruop of us boats heads down south to fish lings, halibut, or even tuna for that matter....again, what is the legislation...
    It's not that I particularly am concerned or even want to but why not ask the question.
    As much as we hear US registered vessels coming up here to fish....I just don't hear alot of the opposite.
    Cornfed...fill me in....

17. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    I can smell the sarcasm in the air...

Nobody would come to WA to fish because we have tighter restrictions, smaller limits (for salmon/halibut), shorter seasons, and WCVI (and Alaska) get a swipe at OUR fish before we do.

I assume this is what you are referring to:

Sport Fishing BC - Recommendations for 2009 Halibut Season

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]richmake[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Advanced Member[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Canada[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]436 Posts[/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Posted - 11/03/2008 : 10:14:55[/FONT] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote: Originally posted by IronNoggin[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote: Originally posted by LastChance[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]...And I'm willing to bet that damn near 200,000 pounds of Canadian halibut wound up in Neah Bay and LaPush. How about just cutting off fishing for Canadian halibut south of Estavan entireley for boats without a Canadian Citizen aboard as one measure, I don't have the creel numbers from there, but looking at the number of WN boats fishing and what the usual take is, I'll bet I'm close? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Kill the Northern Washington incursions, impose a one over/one under size limit as of June 1, (Because fishing effort in SCVI for big ones slows down the due to tides/dogfish anyway), and I'm willing to bet we get close. [/FONT]
    aYup, you're close alright LC, right close. The US will NOT allow any Canadian registered boat in their Pacific waters (Washington & Oregon) without having a local Guide on-board. Yet, their sports fleet routinely enters Canadian waters, remove numbers of fish (not simply halibut) and return home. They are the ones that pushed us over the limit last year, and again this year are responsible for the Lion's Share of our overage. Time to play Tit for Tat with the US, and impose like sanctions for fishing in our waters. And while this may p off a few 'Mericans, so be it, they've been stressing our catch rate for a considerable period, while imposing serious restrictions on any of us who might think to do the same in their waters.

An attempt was made to address this in the requirement to purchase licences from a Canadian vendor. From what I saw out there this year, that ain't doing the job required.

And while it is fine to discuss "remedial measures" such as slot / size limits, tags, annual limit etc, the bottom line here is we obviously need to work on getting the distribution ratio a little more fair for the recreational fleets. That will of course take time and effort. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing the annual limit imposed, such as the tag system we already employ with springs. Can't buy into the size restriction though (we'd be cutting them free only to see them taken shortly thereafter by the long-line fleet. They very much prefer the larger fish of course, and will not even consider a size restriction for their operations).

Perhaps the tag purchase ain't a bad idea as well. Perhaps.It is still my belief that the funding to purchase additional quota should be sought from GenRev, and not solely on the shoulders of the recreational sector. Again, this was a privatization of a PUBLIC resource by the gov. Why we constantly have to pay the piper for their erroneous ways is beyond me!!

My 2 Pesos,
    Nog
    [/FONT]

I agree Noggin.
    The fact that we even have a chance somehow of getting quota back is gonna be key.
    I agree that the size limit idea is probably not the best but it is a start.
    let's alll remeber that the quota that all commercial fisherman have was never originally bought...it was simply alotted to each fisherman'owner based on past catch history, which in turn made a select few instant millionares.
    Also...stopping the northern washington group from comming across the line daily to harvest fish has to stop.
    just my opinion...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com
    [/FONT]

That IS interesting. Can you post a link to the law that supports this? Is that a WDFW, customs, or homeland security regulation?

18. richmake

richmake Newbie

Name:
    chad
    Boat:
    Fair enough...I don't have a problem with what I say...means I am accountable...
    How about us going north to Alaska from Dundas and grabbing Halibut and coming back....what are the laws governing this?
    Sarcasm is not the intention but I can see how you would want to protect the right to come across into Canada to catch halibut....why wouldn't you...
    You said it yourself,
    Nobody would come to WA to fish because we have tighter restrictions, smaller limits (for salmon/halibut), shorter seasons, and WCVI (and Alaska) get a swipe at OUR fish before we do.
    Alaska clearly gets a shot at all our fish first...our sockeye is case and point.

Take for an instance a charter boat from Canada was running North to Alaska or south to Washington everyday and not declaring/contributing to the opposite economy in any way...seems like a legit question.
    I'm not saying it happens, maybe it does and how would that be different.
    Trust me...when it comes down to pressure and quota distribution, user groups get territorial... it's just a fact.
    Sarcasim not at all...you take it the way you want...all I was trying to do was get the regulations because I don't have the knowledge on the subject.
    As for the last part of the question you posted towards me....yes...the commercials were gifted a quota amount years ago.
    The problem is that the sports sector was way to lax in accounting for their portion and equal opportunity early on in the process...and they are paying for it now.
    The quota system in place has won numberous accolades from around the world as being a well managed fishery...not that I agree or dis agree...just facts...

One last thing...I said Daily in my comments below.
    Also...stopping the northern washington group from comming across the line daily to harvest fish has to stop.

Nothing wrong with a little concervation for the boy's south of the line....
    I'm not the enemy,I've got a ton of Southern clientel and friends and I'm a seahawks season ticket holder...have been for years.
    I just like the facts.

19. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    Chad, I don't know the regulation for Canadians coming into U.S. waters. If it is as the quoted gentlemen stated it, then yes....that is a bullshit double standard AND it shouldn't be that way. However, I don't know of any such regulations, but I have never researched it either.

Also if you have access to the Canadian halibut creel reports at Neah, Please do share them. I would like to know just how many Canadian fish are being caught by Americans. Just FYI - Nobody in their right mind is going from La Push to Canada and back in a day so Neah down the strait would be the focus.

The other thing: Most, if not all, of the additional regulations governing areas 121, 123 were to target the American Charter fleet. What the DFO failed to realize is that very few American charters focus on Canadian halibut. There are about 3 cattle type American boats left that fish Canadian waters. AND we (sportfishers) STILL went over the canadian sport TAC. What does this tell you? American charters had nothing to do with exceeding the sport TAC in 2007. And all this reg. (12 mile rule in and out, e-lic for 121, 123) did was make life difficult for a few charters to earn their living.

You're right. We don't spend money in Canada when we jet over, fish Canadian waters, and jet back. BUT, we do buy a Canadian license at $117 a pop for the year. If the DFO decided to regulate non-residents, then I probably would not buy a license or go into Canada. i would focus my efforts on the U.S. fisheries and call it a day. How much money does this generate? I don't know. Maybe some, maybe not very much. But that's what I would do.

JUST FYI - I targeted halibut at Swiftsure 2, MAYBE 3 times (I will have to check my log) all of last year. I just don't need that much halibut, and I find it hard to believe that Americans put that big of dent in the Canadian sport TAC.

20. richmake

richmake Newbie

Name:
    chad
    Boat:
    Tommy,
    I can safely say that the amount of quota being taken out of your above mentioned areas by U.S. fishermen is at best minimal...meaning virtually no impact but that's not the total issue at hand.
    I can't say for sure of course because I don't know the creel numbers off hand and will look into that.
    I would like to know the regs for personal use as I plan on spending quite a bit of time in the San Juans,etc in May with the wife and kids so knowing exactly what I'm into before we leave might be nice...
    Who know's...I might want to head down and get into the Tuna festivities this year,
    but on the other hand, I'd probably do the logical thing and rent a guide across the lineLOL
    Now come on...that's sarcasim!