Bring a 50-size reel on a 5-Day?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by pmurphy, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Should I take my 50SDS on a 5-day?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2011.
  1. Yes! Better to have it and not need it...

37 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No! You have an overactive imagination.

42 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I'm going on the Independence 5 day leaving June 29. With a few BFT being caught in excess of 100 lbs., I'm tempted to bring my Avet 50 SDS. But, as much as I'd like to fight them with 100lb test, my thinking is that the BFT will be very picky, and that they'd never bite on such heavy line.

There is a precious space on the rod rack riding on your vote!

2. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    looks like the rack will be full...bring it....there were some 200 pound + fish caught at night a few years back pretty close to home.You'd hate to run into a school of them biting and not have it.go prepared for anything.

3. yellowtailnsd

yellowtailnsd Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    King Fish
    Bring the big stuff. A guy on our 5 day last year was fishing 40lb, and ended up fighting a bluefin for about 3 hours(114lb).Be prepared for anything and everything.

4. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    In addition to a troll 50? Always troll heavy line IMO. Gotta get jigfish to the boat fast to increase chance of school following suit.

5. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    I wouldn't, way over kill. Bluefins are wimps, a 12 or 16 sized reel will do the job just fine. JMO

6. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
  7. Garabaldi

Garabaldi Newbie

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
    I always hate taking my nicer, expensive cow gear on the more crowded 5-day trips so my trolling gear for offshore on those trips is usually a Penn 4/0 with Tib frame and an aluminum spool that is spooled with 475 yards of straight 80lb solid Spectra on a 6460XH Black Steel Seeker rod with RS/RT guides, that way if it gets beat to shit, I don't care. It works fine for most everything you will catch offshore on a 3 to 5 day trip (even landed a 100lb class big eye on that outfit). If the 50 big game reel is all you have to troll with, I say use the boat's troll gear... the better grade Bluefin will be much more fun and challenging if landed on your 50lb/60lb two speed, lever drag bait outfit. [​IMG]

Tight lines!

8. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    uhh... no. too big for trolling,even.

sb

9. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    Don't think I will need it either on my 8 day. I will bring a couple or 30 size reels able to take a 100# topshot (dreaming). Add in an HX raptor and I think the bluefin and yellowfin should be handled. I hope to need 80 often!

10. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel

Bingo! With the versatility of the short topshot, and being able to go with 80, 90, 100 or 130 fluorocarbon top shot, a 30 sized reel would work even if the bluefin reached cow sized proportions.

11. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Guess im still a dreamer hoping to see a 200+ lb rogue bigeye pop up and strip 600 yards off my 50sw on its first run off the troll LOL

12. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I see a consensus developing:

"Get yourself a 30!"

13. SD853

SD853 Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    NO
    But if you don't have a 30 take the 50 no big deal.

14. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    Its a toss up. I like shark fishing after dinner, no one is on deck usually. If the boat is drifting with the chute in the water, ask whoever is on watch whats below. I like catchin a few squid, put em on and drop em down a hundred feet or so with a glow stick. You might get lucky. It happens. Maybe get up super early and ya might get a big tuna. Don't for get to fish the chunk too.

15. carcass

carcass Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    None
    Hopefully will be on the Roosters 8 day trip leaving the July2 (confirmation tomorrow morning). I've got a Penn Graph-Lite 50 I'm planning on taking. Not as big as a real 50, but enough. I'm one of those guys who got caught underpowered once and I will do what I can not to let that happen again. I'm not too concerned about it getting beat up.

16. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I don't even bring a 50 to fish for cows ;). Okay 30w is about the same.

17. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Pat,

A two-speed 30 sized reel should be enough. Make sure you have an appropriate heavy rod to go with it.

Use the rig for trolling, dropper loop or flylining with 80lbs or 100 lbs.

If you do not have a 30 and you already have the 50SDS, by all means bring it!

I do not think a 5-day warrants buying a new 30 two-speed unless you plan on longer trips in the future.

Enjoy your 5-day!

- Jeff

18. garrironman

garrironman Newbie

Name:
    rick garratt
    Boat:
    no
    super 12 cal-ed,right tool for the job. not to big or heavy and22lbs of drag

19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Voted no on this one. Don't see this time of year, (your dates, 6/29-7/4) as a shot at a Bigeye. Just not going to happen. But, the occasional 100+ lb Bluefin is possible, if you can get one to bite. Probablystand a better chance of getting that fish to bite if you use 50-60 lb gear. For me, that's a TLD20II that has I've dolled up with drag work, an aftermarket handle and a topless TIB frame. I want a reel that easily puts out 15-18 lbs of drag at strike and that I can push to full without the handle binding. Also, that reel has to have 500-600 yards of spectra backing. For me that's a full spool of 80 lb hollow spectra that allows me to connect up a 25' topshot of Fluorocarbon via loop to loop. This of course allows the versatility of being able to change from 50 to 60 lb easily, and even to 80 lb for more abrasion resistance.

I keep this rig tied up and ready to rock when we're offshore. The reel is on a rod I wrapped up for myself with turbo guides, a Seeker Black Steel CTSF60XH, which is the blank they use to build the G6460XH, a rod rated for fishing 60 lb at it's optimum rating. Keep it sano, don't troll with it. If you used it to fish the dropper loop at Cedros, be sure you clean it up with a fresh fluoro topshot, tie on a good hook, your choice ringed circle of J, check the knot, make sure your drags are set properly and be ready. Hope they show for you.

I have other, larger reels like a Cofed out Penn 30S with a 6463XXH rod and an Avet Pro EXW 30/2 on a Super Seeker Two by Four, for fishing 80 lb and 100 lb, but would not take them on your trip. JMHO

20. NorthShore41

NorthShore41 Newbie

On our 5 day most of the BFT was hooked up on 30#... they seemed line shy... nobody seemed to fight them more than about 15 minutes... take that for what its worth I suppose