Bridle set up flat fall OK for smaller tuna?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by JPLomeo, Jul 23, 2018.

1. JPLomeo

JPLomeo Newbie

Name:
    Giampaolo Lomeo
    Boat:
    Ciao Bella
    Hi Folks,

I have skulking on these forums and learning from every post!!! Thank you for all the knowledge. I live in AZ and get to fish out of San Diego for tuna only about once or twice a year. I have been reading about all the different ways of rigging the flat falls for tuna, and I think simpler is best. I particularly like the bridle method of attaching the jig (to the bend of a circle hook) with a short kevlar cord. No leader, rings, split ring and all the other paraphernalia. For those who use this method, does this also work on smaller tuna (30 lbs on up)? or would a J hook tied directly to the line (with line run through both end of the jig- so it slides away from head shakes) work better?

Thanks
    JP

2. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    If you want simpler, just take it out of the package and tie it to your line. It will work just fine.

kbray001 and 998R like this.
  3. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Don't use a flat fall out of the package. At a minimum change the hooks. For the bridle setup, just use a smaller hook and keep the length of the bridle under 1.5 inches. I'd use at least a 4/0 super mutu, just in case you hook a larger fish, you will at least have a chance. If you want to see why this setup works so well, set up the rig, then drop it though your hand, you won't feel the hook at all, then try to pull the lure back through your hand, the circle catches every time.

4. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Go in to Fishermans landing and talk to the guys who work there. Ask them how many cows have been caught on the pacific queen with a 250 gram flat fall pulled straight out of the package. And how many were lost on stock flatfalls. The numbers will surprise you. Everyone thinks they have a better way to rig a flat fall. And while those might also work, they also work fine bone stock.

Derby and Cubeye like this.
  5. Paparockcal

Paparockcal Old Dude

Name:
    Rocky Latham
    Boat:
    N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
    Nice Rooster and from a kayak to? I have zero experience fishing flat falls and have read both opinions from so called "experts" on the internet in articles, to different forums. You can always fish some stock and rig some however way gives you the most confidence to see the difference for yourself if any but then what do I know.

6. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy

Got 7 roosters all close to 50 lbs from my yak that trip. And I was fishing north of Bahia de los angeles

7. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    If the fish does not eat the entire jig, and the circle hook, and then turn and run, bridling a flat fall will be like pissing into the wind.

8. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving

Have you seen how deep they swallow them? The hooks pretty much keep the jig from being shit out the other side. I’ll add this.... I have heard of plenty of fish still chewing through bite leaders of 130# or more at times. Bluefin dont lie on their sides amd circle like Yellowfin do. They brownback and headshake and this tears up leaders on deep hooked jigs. I have been using the bridle for a while now (both large and small flat falls) and I am confident it works very well.

9. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    If it works for your fishery, go for it.

10. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Just realize that there is no guarantee that you are exclusively on small fish, or that a grande won't swim through at the most inopportune moment.

11. Surfer Ed

Surfer Ed Member

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Shogun, Vagabond, Constitution, New Lo Ann
    JP direct message me. I live in Clarkdale Az area near Sedona. I go fishing in San Diego area 5 to 6 times a year. I can show you different ways to rig flat falls from school size tuna to 150lbs plus

12. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    The majority of the fish are taken on the drop or when the lure is jigged. There is maybe a 5% chance you get bit and the fish doesn't swallow the lure, in this case there is no hook to stick them so they are likely to come back. These lures are small. Tuna down to 10Lb will swallow them. Even on the retrieve the tuna swim way faster so they still swallow the whole lure. Of course if you'd prefer to decrease your hook to land rate, by all means use a j hook. Just trying to help. Seen enough bluefin chew thru leaders, including the Kevlar assist cord.

Let em eat 74 likes this.
  13. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    What size hooks are you using for bridling?

14. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I’m going to start a new thread about my trip I just took and some observations I made on it this afternoon when I have time. I used a 16/0 hayabusa circle (very large). I’ll post pics and give accurate descriptions on what works and what didn’t in that thread. Keep your eyes peeled. I took big fish honors on my trip.

kbray001 and makairaa like this.
  15. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I talked to Taro on the Liberty. He says the same thing. Stock Flat Falls don't seem to be a major problem.

16. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I agree. I lost a 80# class BF right at color. He chewed through the 380# Kevlar in less than 10 minutes with a J hook. I guess it really depends of how the fish is hooked. If they swallow the jig, then the leader is in jeopardy. If you use a Circle hook, odds are it will land in the corner and you will be in pretty good shape to land the fish Lots of choices.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  17. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Up to about 100lb fish you're probably safe, and prob stand a decent chance on a bit bigger fish, provided you're using the right gear and can put enough pressure on the fish to get them in quick. Smaller fish don't always get the whole jig, especially if they're not actively feeding or going crazy and slamming into everything. Having tail hooks will likely greatly increase the number of converted bites, not to mention the jigs just swim better with the stock hooks.

18. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    I tested that theory on a 7 day to the ridge this last September.

The yellow fin we were on were up to #25 and i was using a squish jig (love them) with a bridle rig and couldn't get a fish to stick.
    I went back to the out of the box rig and slayed.

Also a highly respected manufacturers rep. on these boards who i won't speak for told me that of the sport boat captains he had quizzed none had seen a fish landed on a bridled jig.

for what it's worth.

19. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Well shit, you caught me. I was paid off by the bridled flat fall association of America to miss-inform all the rest of the world and take over. You’re a hero for uncovering our evil plot. Medal??????

20. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Interesting. So now I'm just trying to summarize my mental notes of this subject.

Some say their big blue fin chewed through their assist cord, which means it didn't swallow the hook.
    Some say their big blue fin chewed through their top shot, which means it swallowed the hook.
    Some say they bridled their jig with a circle hook and landed their big fish, which can mean it did or did't swallowed the hook.
    Some say they bridled their jig with a circle hook and didn't catch any small fish.
    Some say they haven't noticed anyone catch a fish on a bridled jig.
    Some captains on San Diego boats say they work right out of the box.
    Some say................whatever....multiple hooks, wire assist cord, treble hooks, J hooks, circle hooks, etc....etc....etc.

Conclusion: Each method works some of the time, but not all the time. So use whatever you WANT.