Upvote 0

Bodegacowboy

Aug 24, 2011
Rio Oso
Name
Mike
Boat
2520XL Parker
Nice! Pretty lame that people are throwing around legal crap...I would have done the same as you. Enjoy.

I'm not worried about the armchair fisherman! They are like a pack of small tuna sitting under a paddy waiting for someone to throw some chum so they can get in a frenzy! This is like catch and release phishing watching the pathetic controversies they try and drum up. I fish, I don't need the drama! They don't have anything but drama.

Hope I get to do it again! Soon.....

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
Not really lame.....

What if what the guy did was illegal and he got popped for it because he posted it online.
And didn't know what he did was illegal.

One great thing about this site is people teaching others things they don't know...

Like regulations

If the FnG has that much time on their hands to peruse fish reports here, then figure out where someone lives n actually seek them out to knock on their door to hand them a citation, then id be ROFLMAO at that point. Itll NEVER happen! Any FnG reading the OPs report is prob laughing his ass off. Way to gaff that dodo!!! I wanna do that too! Too cool!

Reactions: Texlee
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
To you guys who dont give a shit about the regs....
Get out your MPA maps.
Double their numbers and their sizes.
THAT is what they would have been - due MAINLY to "public perception" - if we "armchair fishermen" hadnt have gotten involved 15 years ago....

Next time around?
good luck. :D

and remember: "If we dont regulate ourselves; somebody else will."
That would work sooooooooooooo much better for ya. doncha think? Good luck with that, too.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
As the regs state.....

Section 28.65(e) of Title 14, California

Code of Regulations, states:

“No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in
landing any fish shorter than the minimum size
limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is
any hook with or without a handle used to assist in
landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the
fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth.

So, the way I read that, why would they mention to "assist in landing or to take", if it wasn't legal at all. To me, if you can't use a gaff to assist or take a fish under the minimum size, then you can use on to assist or take a fish OVER the minimum size. If Gaff's were flat out illegal to use to take a fish, it would be spelled out that way, and it does not, other than in the inland waters section.

I say great job! Very cool, not something you see every day....... ;) !!!!

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
If the FnG has that much time on their hands to peruse fish reports here, then figure out where someone lives n actually seek them out to knock on their door to hand them a citation, then id be ROFLMAO at that point. Itll NEVER happen! Any FnG reading the OPs report is prob laughing his ass off. Way to gaff that dodo!!! I wanna do that too! Too cool!

The DFW has used this site for law enforcement operations and made arrests.

You better start ROFLMAO. Post video please.

Upvote 0

mattydog

Jul 9, 2014
poway,ca
Name
matt welsh
Boat
22'striper
nice job! I've been trying to spear gun from the boat on those shy dogs. unsuccessfully so far but....lots of season left!

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
no matter how you try to semantically spin it, free gaffing (and jack poling) has always been illegal in US/Cali waters for recreational fishermen.
I'm not sure about Mexican waters, though, even IF you have all your docs & permits in order and in hand. ;)

Some refer to "bait poling" and "squidding" as "Jack poling". Each are not free gaffing. Neither are illegal and never have been.

Upvote 0

PBoncher

30 yrs offshore
Jul 4, 2008
sd ca
Name
pb
Boat
na
WTF...alot of people fishing with DFG on their boats these days!?!? stick that thing and grill it up with some cold beers:appl:

Reactions: Texlee
Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
As the regs state.....

So, the way I read that, why would they mention to "assist in landing or to take", if it wasn't legal at all. To me, if you can't use a gaff to assist or take a fish under the minimum size, then you can use on to assist or take a fish OVER the minimum size. If Gaff's were flat out illegal to use to take a fish, it would be spelled out that way, and it does not, other than in the inland waters section.

I say great job! Very cool, not something you see every day....... ;) !!!!
The key words in that phrase are to assist. Free gaffing is not assisting. Fish was legal to take so I do not really care, but I guarantee someone else sees this and assumes it is legal. Then gets popped when they do it.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Some refer to "bait poling" and "squidding" as "Jack poling"

jack poling. notice bait but NO reel. Rec fishing is rod AND reel.
Now, if someone wants to fish LR-class 50 & 80 series reels on a "broomstick" of a rod with 100# line and drag buttoned down.......... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Evan Feely
Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
Jun 24, 2008
placerville/ca/usa
Name
zane
Boat
Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
I don't think anyone was complaining about the op free-gaffing it. Just pointing out that it is, in fact, illegal. There are lots of F&G laws crazier than this one. Like the guy who got a ticket for over limits on frozen bonita that he was using for lobster bait.

Yes, I think the guy who kept a black seabass off a socal pier got a ticket because he posted it on social media.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
The key words in that phrase are to assist. Free gaffing is not assisting. Fish was legal to take so I do not really care, but I guarantee someone else sees this and assumes it is legal. Then gets popped when they do it.

No, the key words are "Assist or TAKE". So you can't use a gaff to TAKE one that is undersized, but where does it say you can't TAKE one that is OVER the minimum size????? I am not saying it's 100% legal, but I am also saying that it's also not shown to be ILLEGAL. I would need more clarification before I did it myself.........

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    No, the key words are "Assist or TAKE". So you can't use a gaff to TAKE one that is undersized, but where does it say you can't TAKE one that is OVER the minimum size????? I am not saying it's 100% legal, but I am also saying that it's also not shown to be ILLEGAL. I would need more clarification before I did it myself.........

I posted the rules I could find referring to free-gaffing (or "snagging" as it's called in the regs) earlier in this thread. In inland water (i.e. freshwater), it's basically illegal to free-gaff anything. In the ocean, I could only find references to it being illegal to free gaff striped bass and sturgeon. To me, that means all other ocean fish are fair game to free gaff, assuming they are legal to take on rod and reel (i.e. not undersized, or a fish that has a moratorium on being taken like a BSB, garibaldi, or white shark).

The regs also make a distinction between "snagging" and "spearing" as being two different things. So for those who ask what the difference is, legally they are completely different things, even though the net result is a fish being impaled on a piece of steel in both cases.

But, I'm not a lawyer, and my interpretation of the regulations might be wrong...

Hell, when you're out there, do whatever you want... Just don't be one of these guys...:rofl:

http://www.ranker.com/list/15-criminals-that-bragged-just-a-bit-too-much/jf-sargent

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I don't think anyone was complaining about the op free-gaffing it. Just pointing out that it is, in fact, illegal. There are lots of F&G laws crazier than this one. Like the guy who got a ticket for over limits on frozen bonita that he was using for lobster bait.

Yes, I think the guy who kept a black seabass off a socal pier got a ticket because he posted it on social media.

I agree with you about crazy laws and how they can also be interpreted
    I think public relations may have something to do with it also. About 2 years ago I called out f/g on this site and said I had from a few trips more than 7 lobsters in my freezer. They never knocked on my door. The Socal pier guy had the "public" outraged about the BSB that was blatantly posted.

Regarding the Dorado. ......Good stick

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2014/10/16/gaffing-undersized-shark-thats-biting-my-thumb/
    According to Carrie Wilson free gaffing is illegal. Now she does not cite the reg and I agree the language used is grey. Warden will probably cite you, and the judge will probably let you off. Still an inconvenience.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    I know a guy on a dirt bike web site. He took a selfie of him going around a locked gate. He posted it for all to see. Dumbass. Well he got popped a few weeks later. All the Rangers had that selfie pic in their trucks. They recognized his cloths and bike. They stopped him. He rides that area regularly.The rest is history. Moral of the story is Never tell on yourself. They look , don't fool your self. Enviro nazi's are always watching.

Upvote 0