Braid vs Mono Size. 50lb Braid with 40lb topshot?

430 hp 70

Always Learning
Aug 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Skipjack "My Girl"
I tried searching and couldn't find what i was looking for.

So.... I'm wondering what the largest lb mono topshot you are willing to run compared to your braid. Same rating? 10lb difference? 20lb difference? 20 percent difference? And why?

I'm going to pick up a mxj raptor. The plan is 50lb braid and 30lb ts. Any reason why you wouldnt run a 40lb ts with the 50lb braid? Or even 50lb ts with 50lb braid?

Upvote 0

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
I would keep the mono rating under the braid rating just to make sure that the mono breaks first so as to not loose the braid which is considerably more expensive.

If the plan is to use it primarily with 30lb I think you would actually be better off with the non-raptor mxj. The raptors don't like to be run at a drag setting that is significantly lower than what they are capable of.

Upvote 0

BigMoney

Mar 7, 2006
la verne
Name
andrew
Boat
mainship 34ht trawler ----- whaler 240 outrage twins
we use up to 100lbs shock cord or soft mono with 65lbs braid for popping and jigging very common the bigger mono or top is used to keep the toothy critters from cutting your line

Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I tried searching and couldn't find what i was looking for.

So.... I'm wondering what the largest lb mono topshot you are willing to run compared to your braid. Same rating? 10lb difference? 20lb difference? 20 percent difference? And why?

I'm going to pick up a mxj raptor. The plan is 50lb braid and 30lb ts. Any reason why you wouldnt run a 40lb ts with the 50lb braid? Or even 50lb ts with 50lb braid?
I'll run 50 ts on 50 braid without second guessing myself. If you need to break something off your ts should break at the knot.

One time I was fishing 80 ts on 65 lb backing and I had a seal eat my bait and hook himself. That sucked ass, I couldn't break it off and had to land it.

Reactions: 45king
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
If I am not mistaken, some will use heavier fluro or mono top shots than the spectra line rating, primarily for abrasion resistance (fishing around hazards, rocks, kelp, or to help prevent bite-offs when a fish is not jaw hooked, but hooked deeper in the mouth or gut hooked, especially if using "J"hooks. Depends upon what you are fishing for and where. However if using circle hooks I like to fish down in size with fluro. example; 65# braid to. 50# fluro. I believe the drag should be set to the fluro rating in that situation. Drag should be set on reference to the weakest part of the rig. Just my .02, probably worth what you paid for it. 0!

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If I am not mistaken, some will use heavier fluro or mono top shots than the spectra line rating, primarily for abrasion resistance (fishing around hazards, rocks, kelp, or to help prevent bite-offs when a fish is not jaw hooked, but hooked deeper in the mouth or gut hooked, especially if using "J"hooks. Depends upon what you are fishing for and where. However if using circle hooks I like to fish down in size with fluro. example; 65# braid to. 50# fluro. I believe the drag should be set to the fluro rating in that situation. Drag should be set on reference to the weakest part of the rig. Just my .02, probably worth what you paid for it. 0!
Only on kelp cutter rigs near structure is the heavy floro needed. You are right on.

Upvote 0

430 hp 70

Always Learning
Aug 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Skipjack "My Girl"
Thanks guys. I need small 2 speeds for the kids, but want the line capacity for myself. I'd like to use the mxj raptors as my 30 and 40, but was unsure if 50 braid was fine with the 40. I didn't want to waste space with 65 braid if unnecessary.

As far as the raptors and light drag, i used my sx raptors with 20lb for yft this year. They seemed to work fine and the drag seemed smooth set at ~6lbs. I don't have much to compare it to though.

Upvote 0

Rude Baits

Mar 22, 2012
SD
Name
Tony
Boat
-
Your game plan is fine. I personally don't like to deviate line diameter too much between the two strictly for knot tying purposes. That's just me though. You should be good. Particularly with the 50 to 30 lb.

Upvote 0

Latest posts