Braid to Mono/Fluoro: Winners and Losers

buckeye

Jan 7, 2008
Florida
Name
Bob
Boat
none
Another vote for the FG. Doesn't take me much longer to tie now then any other braid to mono knot.

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Yes I use the tool most of the time it is called the Knot Assist 2.0......I can tie it without it just makes it easier..
Just looked that tool up and saw someone say it wasn’t made to use on heavier line. Do you find it hard to use with the heavier 100#+?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Just looked that tool up and saw someone say it wasn’t made to use on heavier line. Do you find it hard to use with the heavier 100#+?

No issues....if you did 20 wraps with 100#/130# FC you would have to reset the device after about 16 wraps not a big deal .... but since I only do 12 wraps no issues.

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
If the knot snapped how does one know what the lines breaking point is?

i always crack up at people coming in to have their reel spooled up with brand x line because "it's the strongest 30 lb test"...

i reply " really, whats the heaviest 30 lb weight you ever lifted?"
on the nose. i have had success with the simple "triple overhand" braid to floro or mono with 65 braid to 30, 40 ,or 50# mono or floro, to a degree that I only use the Bob Sands knot for spooling looong topshots of 100 yards plus. I think we, as a society of fishermen, have reached the point of over complication; the simple triple overhand knot for braid/topshot connection has never failed me for anything(for short leaders)... mean ass bluefin have chewed my flatfalls off thru 50# floro but the braid/floro knot was fine, i have caught tough yellowtail at the islands with drag hammered down with this knot (and san diego to jig fwiw) that won JPs. KISS everybody!
but, I just a knuckle dragging caveman with stupidfingers, so whatevs. FISH ON!!!
long range is out of my league, FWIW

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Here is a video of how to use the Knot Assist 2.0

My other go to knot but purely optional to all angler is the PR Knot. It does take time but with practice it gets easier. I do finish it with the rizutto knot also on my PR

Reactions: yessokk

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
I just find a convenient place near my box to hang my lope of fuel hose and rig it like this, with any handy sinker temporarily on the spectra.
this one.JPG

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Here is a video of how to use the Knot Assist 2.0

My other go to knot but purely optional to all angler is the PR Knot. It does take time but with practice it gets easier. I do finish it with the rizutto knot also on my PR

That video with the knot assist completely skips the part when the knot should be cynched down after the half hitches.

Reactions: yessokk

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
That video with the knot assist completely skips the part when the knot should be cynched down after the half hitches.
That cinch is less critical if you’re able to maintain a siginicant amount of tension the whole time you’re wrapping the spectra around the leader like you can with that tool.