not cool

Braid to Braid - Double Uni???

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by FishAcquisition, Jul 16, 2018.

1. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    New to braid last few years, convinced now that I want as much Braid in the water as makes sense. Have longer 50-100 feet mono topshots. Want to be fishing short floro topshots. So I want to take off the mono and fill back up with braid. Double Uni the best knot??? J-Braid.

2. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Hollow or solid? Pound class?

If hollow you should needle splice. If solid, I like a properly tied uni to uni and have been using it so long that I have great confidence in it.

You could also do loop to loop if hollow.

FishAcquisition likes this.
  3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Uni to uni is good. I’d flip the spool though and put it on the bottom after you decide which connection either way.

MAG0121, esgeo, kbray001 and 2 others like this.
  4. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    For the smaller lines, mono is a good choice. past 50-60 then it starts hurting you.

Flipping the line on the spool will put the knot into service with the most drag on the line. Just a thought.

Cubanaso likes this.
  5. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Uni knots slip a lot with braid unless both lines are very close in diameter.

A much safer and really easy knot to tie is the Albright.

6. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Sounds dumb, I'd continue to use the 75 yard top shot, until the braid needs replacing then fill it all the way.

r8rs4lf likes this.
  7. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Nah, I am making this change now. Probably doing this on 6 of 8 reels, Braid is little over a year old. Doesn’t it last for many many years? I heard 5 to 10 years once?? Rather spend the $300 on a trip.

8. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Yup, I agree unless that knot will be buried into the spool where you have enough confidence it absolutely would not come into play while fighting a fish.

If not, I'd rather eat the cost of the braid than lose a fish over something stupid like a uni to uni knot. Of all the money we spend on gear and trips, seems pretty dumb to cheap out on a respool.

whammy and HighWildFree like this.
  9. BASSMITH

BASSMITH Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    18ft basstracker "the other woman"
    I use a double FG with a short piece of mono to replace my 100 yard mono top shot with braid for short top shots.
    That way you can go back to long mono without cutting your braid.
    Or just buy more reels and have it both ways.

10. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    If time is not an issue, I’ll always join two lengths of solid with a short sleeve of hollow finished with nail knots on the entry points. Uni to uni would only be used in “panic” mode for me.

Cubeye and lkatdpelicanfly like this.
  11. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    I've done this a ton for friends who've looked to eliminate the long mono topshot.

First, I reverse it so that the knot is buried as deep as possible. Then, presuming its solid braid of equal diameter (or at least close), I tie bimini twists in both ends and do a triple cats paw loop-to-loop connection. If either end is hollow, then consider a knotless spliced connection (which is what I have on the kite rig that has 500yds of 100lb behind 400 yds of 130lb hollow).

Goosed10 and FishAcquisition like this.
  12. hbbaseball32

hbbaseball32 Newbie

Name:
    Jake
    Boat:
    Movin' Easy
    Uni to uni for tying solid core braid together is absolutely fine if you do 7-10 wraps on each side and tighten correctly. I did exactly what you are thinking about doing on a few reels, adding a bit of braid on top of a mostly full spool when I didn't want to use a mono top shot. You don't even notice the connection when fishing and it is plenty strong. Many use this strategy for "stacking braid" with lighter braids down below to maximize reel capacity. It works very well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Not sure we should be afraid of knots. Last I checked the mono is attached to the braid with a knot and I was planning on using a knot to attach the floro. I have had mono fail this year but not a knot that I can recall in the last 20 years. I am fanatical as most here are about knots. I retie it if looks or feels the least bit funny when I tie it. It is one of the few things we control is the quality of the knots and crimps. Not an expert but I won’t fish a second on a suspect knot.

Let em eat 74 likes this.
  14. ducati-748

ducati-748 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    not yet
    Cut a 6' hollow braided line (with the equal weight of the solid braided line you want to connect), put the solid in the hollow 3' from both side and served both end.

It will be 100% strong.

yessokk and Fishybuzz like this.
  15. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Don’t let these guys scare you out of the uni to uni. It works fine. Like you said, why worry about one knot and not the other. Most of the guys telling you not to do it probably tie there (dissimilar in size) leaders to their braid with a double uni. I’d be more worried about that connection than braid of same diameter.

16. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    When I join braid I take some hollow that I keep for this very reason. About 6 feet is plenty thread your main line up the inside of the hollow exiting and re entering 3 times finishing with a nail knot about 3 feet up. Apply a dab of super glue where the solid enters the hollow to keep it from “creeping” the nail knots too if your paranoid. Then do the same with the braid you are attaching to your main. I would bury this in the spool it would probably drive you nuts reeling it in and casting it a bunch.

17. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    You can always take your partially filled braid from larger reels and completely fill an emptied smaller reel (if you want the same diameter braid from the larger reel on the smaller reel). Then take the emptied larger reel and fill it with a partially braid filled larger reel.Might not be feasible though because larger reels usually have heavier braid. Although I have reels with uni-to uni connections of solid in the reel and haven't lost any fish due to those connections, I like the idea of doing a knotless splice and serve of solid into a hollow braid topshot to complete the spool. Then you have more options for your end connection to fluoro whether it be tying your favorite braid to fluoro knot, doing a premade loop to loop, or doing a knotless serve and splice of the fluoro into the braid.

18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    There ya go