Braid Marauder

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by kamikaze1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    No, not really. The thinking is that if a long jig gets bit, the school will not follow to the transom because it takes too long to reel it back in. I have proven them wrong time and time again.

With a Cal 50 narrow and a higher gear kit, I can still wind it to the boat faster than most and the boat gets stopped which is the real goal.

I cannot really blaim the deckies, they are doing what works for the averages. Another reason to own your own boat, imho.

2. Baja Dreamer

Baja Dreamer Push the button Max!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    That makes sense too, them wanting as many as possible to get bit, but I see your point.

3. the_codfather

the_codfather Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    19' Micronesia Marine Pilothouse, 'ONO'
    I heard of a monster black marlin grabbing one along a reef here in Guam, for wahoo, and then dumping a 130W.

4. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    I know a few folks who have taken striped marlin and even a couple of blues on the doardo and YFT patterns while trolling for wahoo out of Cabo. ;)

5. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    Since this entire thread has been about Marauders, I thought I'd put this up here first. There's a hot new color now avalable for the Marauders and the Black Jacks.

It's called "Bleeding Skipjack" and it's sure to be a great color for the onos! ;)

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think?

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    OK I'm late to the party...a little over 2 years ago on a trip to the Hurricane Bank I won a Braid Marauder in yellowfin color it was the largest size....well I tied it on a boat rod and the lure has since become legendary...this lure in 4 trips has accounted for at least 50 wahoo on the deck and who knows how many missed strikes.....it has had 6 hooks ripped off and has had to be rewired with 475# cable three times.....it is now almost pure white and looks like someone has gone after it with a sawall there isn't a place on the body that doesn't have teeth gashes and it doesn't matter what position it is trolled in, the corner or middle port or starboard it gets bit....last trip to Alijos it caught the only wahoo caught on the troll....the body is still totally intact which is a testament to the construction...if this was a Yo Zuri it would be trashed and unfishable. No fancy clips or rigging run long or short doesn't matter.

I have come to the conclusion that action is much more important that color given this lure is now white....just ask any one of the crew on the Intrepid about "Ugly Betty".LOL

So if you have a Marauder that doesn't get bit even when other jigs are getting bit dump it it isn't swimming right for some reason and won't catch fish.....two identical looking lures will swim slightly different one will get bit and one won't catch a cold. I have semi retired the lure and wil only run it if the wahoo bite is tough....I would hate to have it burned off from a bomb or iron fish...

So what I'm saying is Marauders work...

7. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    maybe the Island Wahoo are not use to it like the Mexican Wahoo.

8. konaguy

konaguy Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    22' custom Sea Ray, Mahiraja
    I fish out of Honokohau Harbor on the west side of the Big Island. When I troll the ono lane (~40 fa), I always run a medium black/orange Yozuri bonita (Marauder) far back down the center on a flat line. I run it on 80lb. mono with a 3' cable leader. I run 5 lines at once and the Marauder out-catches everything else. I use double hooks instead of single hooks and I zip-tie the mid-body double hook snug to the lure. This is how I've gone from not catching on the Marauder to making it my favorite lure.

9. johnny barns

johnny barns Newbie

Name:
    Sparrow
    Boat:
    Instinct
    i recently purchased a black and orange braid marauder and was wondering if it could be used on down riggers and how fast should you troll with them? At 10 knots i was finding that the lure was pulling line out of the rod even at the highest drag settings.

10. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    what kind of reels you running johnny? If a lure is enough to pull line off the reel, even with the drag bumped way up, then what the heck happens when you get bit?

11. johnny barns

johnny barns Newbie

Name:
    Sparrow
    Boat:
    Instinct
    iv got a pair of alutecnos 30-50. yeah i know im doing something wrong if thats happening but i have no idea what.

12. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
  13. johnny barns

johnny barns Newbie

Name:
    Sparrow
    Boat:
    Instinct
    thank you for the pdf that will definitely solve one issue. would you happen to know if marauders can be used on the down riggers?

14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    they can but it kind of negates what a downrigger is for. the other thing to keep in mind is that your release clip/rubberband or whatever you use on it will have to be set hard enough to facilitate hooking into an ono /wahoo's mouth (i'm assuming this is your target species) i'm a big fan or using a z-wing vs. a downrigger, it's cheaper and works quite well.

15. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    what's a z-wing? is it like a planer?

16. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
  17. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    here's an article on z-wing trolling Trolling Techniques

one thing i would suggest is togive it about 5 foot or so of wire before you get to the z-wing, for some reason makos and onos like to eat z-wings.

18. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    good link. thanks

19. Lady Nolee

Lady Nolee Newbie

Name:
    Jenson
    Boat:
    22', Hawaiian Hawk, Lady Nolee
    Howzit guys,

I have used this marauder (orange/black 8 inch) without the flakes. I ran it once at the buoy (couple years ago) going 5knots when the bite was down. Ran it on the short corner got a 101 pound ahi. The lure broke in half from the bite but still managed to get the fish. I would say first time run first time catch maybe lucky? That lure was years old and I have not found that particular model since then. I ran the lure with 500# (one handspan) wire leader with the stock hooks attached. I believe if you can find the one without the flakes it will work. My uncle introduced it to me years back and he swore by it, i called it the ugly duckling, guess he proved me wrong. lol

20. johnny barns

johnny barns Newbie

Name:
    Sparrow
    Boat:
    Instinct
    Been a while but so far the marauder has done quite well. However with a fishing tournament coming up, my friends and I were thinking strategy. Is it possible to have 2 marauders on the surface with out the use of outriggers or will they most likely tangle up?