Braid Marauder

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by kamikaze1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kamikaze1

kamikaze1 Newbie

Name:
    NakZ
    Boat:
    Kioko Maru
    I kept hearing all the fish stories, of how good this lure is supposed to be. So I bought one. It's the black/orange tiger stripe looking one. I've run it a bunch of times with zero results. Different spots from the short corner, long middle, and middle corner. I've never had a single strike on it. I've got a 12 inch section of steel braid off the lure crimped to a 250 mono leader, about 6 feet long. Trolled it at speeds ranging from 4-10 knots. Always took the strikes or hookups on the skirted lures. Never the marauder. Is my setup okay? Or should I change it to a straight mono leader? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Mahalo in advance.

2. the_codfather

the_codfather Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    19' Micronesia Marine Pilothouse, 'ONO'
    Ive run them in Guam, purple/black, the go-to ono color, never been hit, tangled many lines, said fuck it and now I run a green mack rapala magnum and it kicks ass.

3. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Strange. In certain areas those things get eaten alive by wahoo...

Attached Files:

4. Baja Dreamer

Baja Dreamer Push the button Max!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None

Do NOT change it to a mono only leader......unless you want to lose it when it gets bit by a wahoo!

That should be a good color for wahoo, and I have my own favorites as well. ( I love the dorado, skipjack, and sardine patterns!) To be honest I've seen Marauders that have almost no paint left at all that outfished everything else on the boat! If you've never had a strike on your Marauder it's likely because you're trolling it too slow IMO. They all seem more productive to me in the upper half of their troll speed ratings

The first thing I'd ask is what size Marauder do you have? Most of my personal experience has been with the medium and small sizes which are made to troll at as high as 14 knots. The large size has the slower troll speed rating

The second thing I'd ask is exactly how did you rig your wire leader? (Offshore loop? Single loop? Etc.) An incorrectly rigged Marauder won't run properly at any speed and this may be part of your problem.

Thirdly, how far back are you running them in your spread?

Braid Marauders are recognized as one of the most productive wahoo lure in the world and they have also taken many other species including tuna and marlin. When properly rigged and run at the right speed they have a very hard vibration that fish love. Once you get a Marauder or two working the way they should, you'll find that reskirting marlin and tuna jigs to catch wahoo on gets old. ;)

5. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    I'll second that!

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Wade,
    2010 not so good but in years past black/orange, tony the tiger, and the skip jack have been banner baits (by the way straight mono and guess lucky cause never lost one). 2008 went also with the manns stretch 30 with good results, again not so much this year. I've found the mid size bait is better than the large one.

Cheers
    Pat

7. bertram31

bertram31 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    I fished the Yozuri Bonitas in the midsize model with great success. Granted this was several years ago and the Ono fishing has changed.

Jack

8. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    the mid sized tony the tiger has always been a great go to bait for onos. my guess would be that your dragging it too slow.

9. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    Yup! That's what I said too! ;)

10. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Wade, I have two marauders, the orange/black stripes, and the black/purple. I have not had any strikes on them, but noticed that if I go 8-10 knots, the black purple one will swim side to side across the back, almost to the point of tangling the far corner line! Also, I'm wondering if I just should run it just so it is below the surface, or run deeper?

11. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk

So, i'm curious too.. i run the Purple/Black, heard it's a killer, but have never taken a fish on it... rigged it up with wire too... i must be doing something wrong... can't pull this thing at 10 knots AND have lures running, unless i need to run heavy chrome jets... i like the depth column idea and running baits at different levels, but seems to sacrifice resin heads running right and end up running the maruaders too slow... so, what's a good speed and how far back??? Thanks too

12. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    I have caught plenty of Wahoo/Ono on these plugs. However, I prefer the medium to smaller versions. I have not had much luck with the orange and black and prefer to match the hatch with bonito, skipjack and sardine colored runners.

A close look on the deck and you will see the little skipjack version inticed this bluefin tuna out of a school of BFT feeding on skipjack and bonito.

I run it way, way back off the port corner. I utilize fluurocarbon leaders, and a smallish piece of single strand or thin 7 strand if the toothy critters are about.

Good luck and good fishing

[​IMG]

13. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None

Ok, now I'm really curious. I asked this of the original poster but I haven't had a response yet, so I'll ask you. How are you rigging the lures?

I'm also curious what you mean or how you propose to change the depth they run?

14. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    Believe it or not some of it depends on your boat as to how fast they will optimally troll, and that I can'rt say without being there. I do know that when the long range boats out of San Diego troll, especially for wahoo, they are trolling at around 8 knots for the most part.

As for running baits at different levels, you have to remember that you are trying to run two completely different types of lures and get the best perfomance out of both. That simply doesn't work most of the time.

Again, my question is; How are you guys rigging the lure? I don't mean what with. I actually use the small ones for tuna in waters here where I'm not likely to encounter wahoo. I like medium size ones for everything else, but I have used the big ones a couple of times and I've never had the problems you guys are describing.

If you're looking for wahoo then the lure should ALWAYS be rigged with wire. But whether you are using mono, floro, or wire, it should always be attached to the lure in the same manner! If the lure doesn't run correctly after that it is possible to "tune" the lure to make it track straight.

Give me a sec and I'll try and get you a picture of what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  15. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    OK, this is the propper way to rig a Braid Marauder for best results.

Most of my big trip gear is put away right now but I have used this on many summer 5 day trips and caught several albacore, a couple of bluefin tuna, and a few yellowtail on it as well. But as I said, the important thing is that the rigging is the same whether it's done with wire or mono or floro.

It's very important that this jig has freedom of movement, but that the linbe of pull be as straight as possible. To that end I make a harness. This one in particular is on a small sardine pattern, (Old color style), ans it's rigged using 130 lb. Izor leader, about 3' long, and I make my wire harnesses about the same length. The end of this is connected directly to my main line via a heavy swivel

[​IMG]

The harness is made using a trolling boot, a chafing spring, and a McMahon snap. If you are using a cable leader, (I don't personally use single strand.), you can eliminate the chafing spring.

[​IMG]

When you attach the snap to the jig, turn it around so that the small end of the snap is what the jig is riding on.

[​IMG]

Then just slide the boot down over the snap which also keeps it from opening.

[​IMG]

Now for wahoo in particular you'll want to use wire leader. To this end Braid also makes their own cable trolling harness in two sizes, a 175 lb. and a 275 lb.

[​IMG]

The only thing left is to go fishing! :)

Rigging these lure propperly is critical to the jigs running correctly and perfoming like they should. The San Diego long range fleet found this out many years ago, and the Braid Marauder is still one of the most productive wahoo jigs they use.

16. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Remember this is Hawaii, things are diffrent where ever you go. Whats good here or there isn't necessarily good in Hawaii. I've ran these on multipule trips without any hits, i know a few people who swear by them but i guess "its just one of those things".

I know a couple guys that stricly fish for ono on Oahu & have been doing so for years, and you know what they're running? JETS, 5 all around, thats the bread & butter here for %95 of people including myself that are actively targeting ono. I doubt that i'll ever use the marauder's again.

17. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    8" Black/orange > Da Halloween! Killas!!!!

18. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    I've decent luck on Med size tony the tiger, I rig with 4ft of single strand wire, I like it because its thin and doesnt cause drag which can make the lure swim funny. I know some guys change hooks too but just run it stock. Even if the lure isn't the one catching fish I like the attracting ability of the marauder because of the depth and commotion it causes.

19. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
    I always have at least 2 on my boat at all times, black/purple, pink/black are my ono killas!

hrforsale likes this.
  20. Baja Dreamer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    I hear what you're saying, and that's not what I'm saying or talking about.

What I'm talking about is rigging the jigs the way they're meant to be rigged for optimal performance. If you won't use something the way it was designed to be used, you can't really blame a lack of performance on the lure. To use them in any fashion other than the way they were designed is not a fair test of ANY lure.

I'd also point out that there seems to be several of your brahs there that have used Maruaders just fine for ono! ;)