jSun

To fish or not to fish? That’s a dumb question.
Nov 24, 2017
San Diego, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
No
I recently purchased two Okuma Mak 50’s as dedicated kite reels. I need to get them both spooled. I usually fish hollow core braid because I like to use wind-on leaders and general versatility. A good friend told me not to spool kite reels with hollow core because they trap water inside and make the line heavier when wet, thus making it harder to get the kite up on lower wind days. Thought I would throw this out to the community. What are your thoughts for dedicated kite reel braid?

Feb 26, 2019
I use 130 threadlock without any issues - just watch your mainline as kite goes up/out and keep out of water best you can. If dips or you hook one and then want reloads - no problems with HC. Keeping a 4+ lbs. dead flyer on top in flat calm day.....sometimes a different story haha

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
You don't need anything over 80 for the kite. Let's say its blowing 20 your kite will bust before your line. Keep it simple no need for hollow core. Run a 75 fit shot to the kite, get a little wind on swivel to stop the clip from going down the line/and or tie a knot then spool up. As mentioned above you can be out there quite a ways so I'd convert those Mak 50s to my reels for the kite that are baited, and change over to the electric or get a reel crankie since the kite can be way out there and it is a good way to redeploy when you are on the meat.

jcs612

On Deck
Mar 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
JC
Boat
My Mojo
65lb solid braid works.

For the cost of 500 yds of hollow braid over 80lbs, you can almost buy a helium tank. Then get your buddies to chip in on helium gas and large latex ballons, then no more worries about getting and keeping your kite airborne. Tanks and regulators on Amazon.com and there're stores in SOCAL that will fill them, but helium gas isn't cheap.

Last edited:

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
130-150# solid with bimini and cats to the swivel. 65# maxquatro for the kite reel/rod. It's thinner and you don't have to worry about abrasion in the sky.

Fishin_Freeman

You'll never know, unless you go.
Jun 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Grady-White Sailfish 274
I am not expert, but I have had a successful few trips with several not-so-successful. I see no reason for these heavy braid callouts. Not only is it a waste of money, but it will make things more difficult. 45-65 is all you need. The line eventually gets wet, heavier braid will only soak up more water and make the line even heavier. Things can get pretty frustrating out there playing this game.

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Hollow is not the best kite line as it does get heavy. I use hollow because I like the spliced connection and capacity. I use 130# izor main. 200# JB stack and 200# windon on an avet50.

Some guys just go solid directly to the yummy/dead rig. They have killed a lot of fish that way. I have seen too many pulled hooks on the setup, so I like the shock of mono.

Also according to Mike Lackey, hollow sucks for flat falls.

If there's little to no wind, pull the kite and tie directly to the balloon.