FishingRx

Apr 4, 2021
Hanford
Name
Mark Facchini
Boat
None
Hi All!

Decided to jump in. I've been on approximately 10, 8-10 day trips. However, haven't been during the last 20 or so years.

Braid and fluorocarbon were relatively new in those days. I'm in a similar situation as Abaco mentioned in his "Topshot Options" thread. Appreciate the responses in that thread but didn't want to highjack it.

I still have a couple of questions. Going on a 4 day trip in September with my 2 boys (aged 35 & 29). Really looking forward to getting back on the water. I've decided to spool hollow braid on my bait rigs and splice loops into them. I'm a bit confused on the fluoro leaders.

I was thinking about purchasing BHP wind on leaders. But their recommendation is to position the fluorocarbon connection between the reel and first guide. This would mean I'd buy a 25ft leader and cut it to the proper position once on the rod. Doesn't seem too cost effective. In the old days, after catching a fish, the deckhand would wrap his boot around the mono and snap it off. Also doesn't seem too cost effective.

How often are you changing your fluoro leaders? It would seem a longer leader would allow you to fish it longer, even after catching fish but it won't be in the correct casting position (according to BHP). Where do you position yours? How many leaders would be practical on a 4 day trip? I may end up making them myself.

Sorry for the long post. It will probably be 1 of many. Just trying to wrap my head around all the new equipment from the last 20 years.

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    There are many ways to do this. With hollow, it's slickest to feed the leader in, serve it how you like, and make the leader as long or as short as the fishing or your tastes dictate.
    I'm a solid braid/FG type of guy, but I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, so you may need to do some experimenting to find what works best for you.
    I also probably cut off leaders far more frequently than I need to--if I feel like I stressed it at all, I swap it. At Guadalupe, for example, my leaders are usually a one fish deal. Hooks, too.
    I doubt you will find any LR crew doing the leg-wrap snap on your leaders any longer. They are all well aware of your investment!

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I wouldn't shorten his leaders. You can cut off and retie after catching any good fish. If I'm doing my own I'd prefer to have the entire length of fluoro outside of the guides, if the fish will allow it. As you rack your rod and reel the flouro tight you get a permanent kink in the line. Loop to loop leaders are nice. Inline connections are nicer in my opinion. There are a few knots to learn for tying straight spectra to fluoro or mono. I see you're in Hanford. I'm in Visalia. If you want to come visit me one of these days I can show you the connections I know. You can also find youtube videos showing all of them. Then you just practice repeatedly until you consistently get good connections.

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Mark, I remember the boot snap, I even did it. Mono was inexpensive and the hooks were usually buried. Over the decades we first got fluorocarbon and would attach 3 or 4 feet to the mono. Then braided line came around. At first many used it as a backing with a long mono top shot. Some still do.

Fishing with braid is a bit different since the small diameter allows more line on the reel and people using smaller reels. Then the top shots got shorter. Braid doesn’t stretch so you need to watch yout drag.

then you have the hollow vs solid debate. Each of us has a different opinion here and no one is wrong. It become personal preference. I like hollow since it’s easy to splice, only strip of 100 yards and replace. However on some of my 40/30/20 outfits I have solid but usually add 5o yards of mono and 3 to 5 feet fluro. I strip the mono after every trip if I use the set up. If I get a nice fish I’ll change it on the boat. 60-80 and up, I use loop to loop fluro wind ons. Usually 25 feet, and snip off as need be. They are easy to change.

Keep asking questions. Go visit with Blaine or me, I’m in Fresno and will meet you for some coffee or something.

PS Basil does a great job and saves you the hassle of making windons unless you want to learn.

ifish42na

No Bad Days
    Oct 23, 2004
    Harrington Park, NJ
    www.bhptackle.com
    Name
    Basil
    Boat
    Friends With Boats
    I was thinking about purchasing BHP wind on leaders. But their recommendation is to position the fluorocarbon connection between the reel and first guide. This would mean I'd buy a 25ft leader and cut it to the proper position once on the rod. Doesn't seem too cost effective.

That is not my recommendation for conventional 25-foot leaders. What you are referring to are the 12-foot casting wind-ons that I make, designed for use with spinning reels. Those wind-ons are most efficient when you cast the spinner with the connection above your finger. Are you using spinning reels? If not, the 25-foot conventional leaders are what I would recommend. And they don't need to be cut down. Please call if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road
    Harrington Park, NJ 07640

Phone: 201-767-9028
    iPhone: 201-835-5887
    www.bhptackle.com

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Everyone has their own particular take on this but here are 2 main rules that override our subjective personal opinions.
    1 ... The thinner the the line the better . The bait will swim more natural with the thinner line ,,,,the solid is better then hollow as it is thinner for a given pound test.
    2 ... Change out or cut off at lease 2 ft of leader after every fish and re-tie the re-sharpened hook. Wether you can detect it or not the hook is duller and damage always occurs to the leader during the fight.

These 2 rules apply only to those who realize the importance of always adjusting for the optimal and ignoring the adequate. It's what separates the
    10 % percenters.

Walt

Last edited:

FishingRx

Apr 4, 2021
    Hanford
    Name
    Mark Facchini
    Boat
    None
    I was thinking about purchasing BHP wind on leaders. But their recommendation is to position the fluorocarbon connection between the reel and first guide. This would mean I'd buy a 25ft leader and cut it to the proper position once on the rod. Doesn't seem too cost effective.

That is not my recommendation for conventional 25-foot leaders. What you are referring to are the 12-foot casting wind-ons that I make, designed for use with spinning reels. Those wind-ons are most efficient when you cast the spinner with the connection above your finger. Are you using spinning reels? If not, the 25-foot conventional leaders are what I would recommend. And they don't need to be cut down. Please call if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road
    Harrington Park, NJ 07640

Phone: 201-767-9028
    iPhone: 201-835-5887
    www.bhptackle.com
    Thanks for the response Basil! I appreciate the clarification.

FishingRx

Apr 4, 2021
    Hanford
    Name
    Mark Facchini
    Boat
    None
    I wouldn't shorten his leaders. You can cut off and retie after catching any good fish. If I'm doing my own I'd prefer to have the entire length of fluoro outside of the guides, if the fish will allow it. As you rack your rod and reel the flouro tight you get a permanent kink in the line. Loop to loop leaders are nice. Inline connections are nicer in my opinion. There are a few knots to learn for tying straight spectra to fluoro or mono. I see you're in Hanford. I'm in Visalia. If you want to come visit me one of these days I can show you the connections I know. You can also find youtube videos showing all of them. Then you just practice repeatedly until you consistently get good connections.
    Thanks Lake. I'll be in touch!

FishingRx

Apr 4, 2021
    Hanford
    Name
    Mark Facchini
    Boat
    None
    Mark, I remember the boot snap, I even did it. Mono was inexpensive and the hooks were usually buried. Over the decades we first got fluorocarbon and would attach 3 or 4 feet to the mono. Then braided line came around. At first many used it as a backing with a long mono top shot. Some still do.

Fishing with braid is a bit different since the small diameter allows more line on the reel and people using smaller reels. Then the top shots got shorter. Braid doesn’t stretch so you need to watch yout drag.

then you have the hollow vs solid debate. Each of us has a different opinion here and no one is wrong. It become personal preference. I like hollow since it’s easy to splice, only strip of 100 yards and replace. However on some of my 40/30/20 outfits I have solid but usually add 5o yards of mono and 3 to 5 feet fluro. I strip the mono after every trip if I use the set up. If I get a nice fish I’ll change it on the boat. 60-80 and up, I use loop to loop fluro wind ons. Usually 25 feet, and snip off as need be. They are easy to change.

Keep asking questions. Go visit with Blaine or me, I’m in Fresno and will meet you for some coffee or something.

PS Basil does a great job and saves you the hassle of making windons unless you want to learn.
    Thanks Rich. I work in Fresno. Will be in touch!

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Shogun
    Welcome back!!
    I went through the same thing a few years back. Long layoff from fishing. I was ready to go wind ons as well. After council from a deckhand and considering all options I fish solid and tie knots. RP and San Diego. I like to keep it simple. It has served me well. A lot of great ways to do it though.
    Enjoy the process.
    regards
    Scott