Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
We're having a kick ass trip! Our first fishing day led to 109 nice bluefin on the boat. The next day was spent traveling to the ridge and partying. Today we limited on yellowtail and now we're off to warmer waters for some bigger tuna!

xpolari3earx

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 11, 2009
O.C.
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Sounds like you are having blast. Envy you right now. Hope you guys get into bigger tuna. Looking forward to more reports.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Hopefully Alijos Kicks in for you , let us know what happens. Going on the boat 07/10 for a 8 day also , so stoked.

skenney

Avionics
Mar 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Steve
Boat
Classified
I am on this trip too. Gotta love that Excel Wifi! Weather is really good. There is a little wind but the seas are nice. Our crew is a conglomerate of all-stars. They def know what they are doing. It is no wonder that even in a down economy, the Excel almost always sell out.

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
Looks like we have 2 posts going on the current trip.

I have to say that Dennis Braid has been an awesome host and I look forward to fishing with him in the future

Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
Today we are headed north. This is a travel day since we pretty much fished all the way out to the ridge. We will be arriving near Cedros sometime late this afternoon to fish for some halibut and white sea bass. In the meantime, I guess it's another party on the upper deck! As the weather clears up over the next day or so, we are headed offshore for some more tuna hunting! I love tuna hunting!!!

Below is our fabulous CharterMaster Dennis Braid. Oops, he's hooked up again!

And here's me! I wish we could get a video camera right on our face when we first feel your reel take off. That's the BEST feeling in life...yes, it's even better than that!

Mike at the gaff!

...and our fearless Captain Justin, checking out the scene, making sure we're landing our fish and everyone is hooked up. He has been hunting and planning carefully and thoughtfully and is making Excel-lent decisions.

We did yellowtail all day, watching the sun go down. Good grade yellowtail and lots and lots of fun.

Oh, and here is one of our few pix of our bluefin bite from our first day of fishing. I actually caught a bluefin first thing yesterday morning. Then, like everyone else, proceeded to limit out on yellowtail.

More later... we are looking forward to some calm fishin' at the island later today. Maybe ebnash and skenney will post some more photos after they wake up!

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
looks like fun.

I guess no Alijos?

skenney

Avionics
Mar 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Steve
Boat
Classified
No Alijos. The Ridge is on fire and the bluefun grounds are productive if you can get in and out between the wind and waves.

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
The YT and BFT are almost as hot as the Lady Angler. And Valerie is a professor too. I'm going back to school.

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
The YT and BFT are almost as hot as the Lady Angler. And Valerie is a professor too. I'm going back to school.
It was not easy keeping up with Val, she is one fish-killing machine!!! See you next year(don't forget the chocolate!!!)

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
Maybe ebnash and skenney will post some more photos after they wake up!
A small sample of pics from the trip.

Fat Red from Bonitos

Yella from Bonitos

Some familiar sights for any Long Ranger

Ahhhh, galley spoils

Light Gear

Killing Tails at the Ridge

Action at the rail

11th hour stop on 60-100lb BFT!

In my opinion, this is the best picture of the entire trip. My friend Steve Kenney with his 83lb BFT and one the the best LR crewmen/captains in the entire fleet, Mike Ramirez...

Some shots from the bow

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
awesome trip!!!!! That weather was so awesome on the 4th for you guys!

What was the hot ticket on those Bft? line test? how the bait was hooked? etc :D Smaller ones and then the 60+ ones.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Thats the shiz-nit!!!! Great report, those pics of the WFO yellowtail got my blood flowing!!!!

TWO and HALF more months until my Excel 8 day Trip!

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
WTF? That looks like my 1st "Off shore" reel- the one got me laughed off the deck with coffee grinder comments..... :rofl:Either the guy is old school east coast, or all that "2 speed, dual disc drag" stuff is marketing hype. And please don't tell me that's Cajun Red mono, ala Dan Hernandez....

Seriously, awesome pics, awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. When my son graduates from HS next summer, we'll be doing a 7 day as a grad present. This TR just whets the appetite.

Steinlager

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
Kayak, buddy's sniff, long range
This was a great adventure. Nice people too. I just seared a piece of that fresh bluefin loin for dinner. Possibly the best thing I have ever eaten.

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
Great report and thanks for taking time out for the great pics Valerie. Are you fishing the Shimano 6 day RP in August this year?........Mike

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
WTF? That looks like my 1st "Off shore" reel- the one got me laughed off the deck with coffee grinder comments..... :rofl:Either the guy is old school east coast, or all that "2 speed, dual disc drag" stuff is marketing hype. And please don't tell me that's Cajun Red mono, ala Dan Hernandez....

Seriously, awesome pics, awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. When my son graduates from HS next summer, we'll be doing a 7 day as a grad present. This TR just whets the appetite.
Actually this guy is fishing a Shimano Terez rod and a $1000 Stella reel. It was a kick ass set up and was usually used for throwing jigs and poppers. He was usually fishing high end conventional gear but brought some spinning set ups to try them out.

Dennis Braid actually has a few spinning outfits that he slays fish on...

skenney

Avionics
Mar 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Steve
Boat
Classified
I caught my 83 pounder on 30lb test but I wouldn't recommend doing that. :) Better option is 40lb + test w a high capacity reel and good drag with a flouro leader. I tied a double surgeons knot for the line-to-line connection and it held perfectly. I had a small sliding sinker to get the bait away from the boat and down about 100 feet or so. I also was using a 2/0 Owner circle hook. Hope that one helps. The best advice though is to get on the Excel because Justin will put you on the fish.

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
awesome trip!!!!! That weather was so awesome on the 4th for you guys!

What was the hot ticket on those Bft? line test? how the bait was hooked? etc :D Smaller ones and then the 60+ ones.
First ticket is to get on the Excel...

My 65lber was caught on a nose hooked sardine with a 4/0 ringed Owner Gorilla hook. 65lb spectra to 40lb Mono topshot to 40lb Flouro leader 3ft long. JX one speed reel, Calstar 20-50 7ft rod.

Experienced guys were tail hooking, belly hooking, and rarely ever nose hooking but that is what I am comfortable with so I went with that...

Just get out there and ask questions and don't be afraid to make adjustment even during a hot bite...

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
I caught my 83 pounder on 30lb test but I wouldn't recommend doing that. :) Better option is 40lb + test w a high capacity reel and good drag with a flouro leader. I tied a double surgeons knot for the line-to-line connection and it held perfectly. I had a small sliding sinker to get the bait away from the boat and down about 100 feet or so. I also was using a 2/0 Owner circle hook. Hope that one helps. The best advice though is to get on the Excel because Justin will put you on the fish.

nicer fish on the 30lb! Thanks for the info too. Most guys seem to get bit better with sinkers or flyline?

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
"In my opinion, this is the best picture of the entire trip. My friend Steve Kenney with his 83lb BFT and one the the best LR crewmen/captains in the entire fleet, Mike Ramirez..."

Agreed-Mike Ramirez is as good as anyone in the fleet.

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
got my 67# on nose hooked dine on the retrieve after a LONG soak. EC 6/0 circle hook, 50# JB solid, 30# max flouro, wimpy old Truline rod. First hookup on that stop I got chewed off with a hoodlum J hook. Took over an hour, almost killed me. Definitly don't recommend 30# when the big ones are around but I'd already put everything else away!!!
Tim and Mike saved my butt..............