Braid Breakoffs

froggydawg

Sep 8, 2019
Key west
Name
Matt
Boat
I wish...
Anyone have tips on how to stop breakoffs?

Currently fishing with 65lb powerpro, and the majority of fishing if from shore (yaking baits out). Using about 4 feet of wire and 6 feet of 400lb mono for leader....breakoffs keep happening in the braid no matter what I do. I keep increasing the leader length, it doesn't matter. With the last 8 sharks I hooked up with, only 1 was landed. The rest instantly break off within seconds. Mostly spinning gear (8k size reels) so I’m hesitant to run heavy mono top shots....been too close to being spooled too many times.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
X2 on a guide. Run a Q-tip around the inside and see if any of the cotton fibers stick

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
It could also be excessive line twist from the spinner? If your guides are good you might try letting your line out while paddling your yak out to the zone so it can untwist. What kind of braid?

froggydawg

Sep 8, 2019
Key west
Name
Matt
Boat
I wish...
I thought of this before, and couldn’t find any fractures with my finger. I’ll try the dental floss method...thanks for that insight! Otherwise, looks like I have an excuse to buy more gear now....lol

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Try replacing the rod tip before you give up on it. It's cheap and and the tips are more prone to damage than the guides. Tie the braid onto something solid and pull drag with the rod bent before and after replacing the tip. Worth a try.

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Sand and shell will mess braid up. The reason a lot of shore bound shark anglers use mono.

Wade K in deep

Fish 4 Sanity, CnR
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
Can you tell where the line is breaking?
Sharpie mark a spot 10', 50' and 100' up the line to check
A) At the leader knot. Try a different knot.
B) Within 50' of the leader. Try a mono top shot
C)Way up the line. Cracked guide or the bail roller on the reel.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Braid breaks off easily unless youre using like 100-200lb braid. Which is the reason most shore shark fishermen use a large spool, fill it half with braid and the other half with mono. Because the mono is better abrasion resistance for the sandbars. Blacktip H has some good videos on youtube on how you should setup your gear.

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Anyone have tips on how to stop breakoffs?

Currently fishing with 65lb powerpro, and the majority of fishing if from shore (yaking baits out). Using about 4 feet of wire and 6 feet of 400lb mono for leader....breakoffs keep happening in the braid no matter what I do. I keep increasing the leader length, it doesn't matter. With the last 8 sharks I hooked up with, only 1 was landed. The rest instantly break off within seconds. Mostly spinning gear (8k size reels) so I’m hesitant to run heavy mono top shots....been too close to being spooled too many times.
The issue is you are using Power Pro.

Switch to either Sufix 832 or Berkley Pro Spec.

Reactions: yessokk

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Power Pro is a line I quite using years ago due to unexplained line failures.

Also, 65lb braid is fine for most shore based sharking short of targeting true giants with stand up conventional gear.

I would not be afraid of running long mono top shots. I don't know which reel you use, but a Penn Slammer 8500 will hold 650yds of 65lb braid and stiil give you room for 20ft of 100lb topshot, but you might consider replacing your 8000 sized reel with a Slammer 10500.

The 10500 can hold 900yds of 65lb braid plus 50ft of 150lb mono topshot. Considering you mentioned that you have been almost spooled too many times I suggest you get this reel and spool is just as I mentioned. You could even bump up to 80lb Sufix 832 and really utilize the deag power that a Slammer 10500 offers.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Where did you buy your Power Pro. Hopefully NOT on line from some e-bay seller.
Power Pro is the most counterfeited Spectra on the planet earth. That Chinese counterfeited PP is absolute "JUNK". There are other excellent spectras available but Personally have found
Sufix 832 to be one of the best. Also, you need to ascertain where the line is breaking. It does not leave a curly cue like mono or fluoro. Would suggest taking a marker and mark the line just above the join to the leader. If you get the mark on the spectra back after a break that is proof that your join knot needs improvement. Many great suggestions above. Keep after this like a pit bull on crack, you will solve the problem and be much wiser for it.
Walt

baja_driver

Aug 14, 2004
chulajuana
Name
Rob
Boat
imaginary
Power Pro is the most counterfeited Spectra on the planet earth. That Chinese counterfeited PP is absolute "JUNK". There are other excellent spectras available but Personally have found
Sufix 832 to be one of the best. Also, you need to ascertain where the line is breaking. It does not leave a curly cue like mono or fluoro. Would suggest taking a marker and mark the line just above the join to the leader. If you get the mark on the spectra back after a break that is proof that your join knot needs improvement. Many great suggestions above. Keep after this like a pit bull on crack, you will solve the problem and be much wiser for it.
Walt
I had issues with knots when I first started using braid.

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Walt

I have had a lot of serious issues even with legit power pro in the past.

The brand is garbage.

Any time I see issues where guys are losing fish to line breaking with out explaination I find out 9/10 that they are using power pro.

It is rare that guides are the issue.

Reactions: yessokk