Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I'm doing a bracket install and looking at motors too. I have a standard fully closed floatation bracket with 30" setback going on a 21' reinell pilothouse. I've only been looking at 25" shaft motors. Now I am questioning the possibility of a 20" length so the float bracket will sit lower on the transom. This should provide more displacement and reduce any tendency of porpoising. I guess the argument is that the motor could be swamped. Any thoughts?

Swede

Yachtless
May 2, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Name
Swede
Boat
Kristen Lee
Have you completed your setback calculations? Calculated floatation to engine weight? Post some pics on how you beefed up your transom and leg tied the stringers into the transom first.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Ask this question of Eric aka spookaloo

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
I would be interested in seeing this when finished. I have a project 1974 reinell 21 hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead that needs a motor and was tossing around the idea of outboards on bracket as well.

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Well, I did pm Eric briefly. Been doing lots of reading on other sites and to wrap things up in general terms: the 800+ lbs of mercruiser that came out gets replaced by 450lbs of outboard + 80 lbs of float bracket. Yes, it's CG has moved but its mostly a moot point as long as the transom and stringers are beefed up sufficiently (+ my additional this shit ain't going nowhere factor).

I do have a bit of an issue with the design of the transom (I say she's got a bubble butt) and could post pics of the build. I thank Goat and E for giving me the inspiration to think its very possible. On the other hand, I humbly admit I could not match their level of detail in the posts so I was thinking I should keep to myself until success was mine haha.

Therefore, I was just trying to ask general questions because there IS a wealth of knowledge here. I am on a very limited budget due to my 1000/month child support taking from my play $ (another story in another venue tho:finger: cheatin bitches). Did a super cheap build on my arima and now looking for another project.

I guess back to the original ? Does anyone think I should stick to the 25" leg to keep the motor up out of the water? I don't know or don't care is also acceptable LOL.

Indiana redneck

BayBassBrah

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 17, 2012
Corona
Name
Mitch
Boat
22' Pilothouse
I have done a conversion on my boat and I would go with the 25 in outboard to avoid the cavitation when I was doin my research the builders would not even consider a 20 in! I have zero porpoising unless trimmed to ridiculous heights like any other boar

yelloweye

May 21, 2009
Elma
Name
Steve
Boat
24' Skagit Orca
I don't know how it effects the funtion of the boat, but you should also consider how you intend to use the boat. If you back troll at all, a 20" shaft motor is going to be awash alot.

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
I dont have your answer except that I would definitely take the pros of a long shaft over the pros of a little extra flotation. I see quite a few guys running outboards that have the cowling seal 2in above the water and that is a major problem imo.I think most probably tried to save a buck on a standard shaft or really messed up ontheir calcs.on a bracket your outboard already travels up and down more since its out on a lever essentially.not worth the drawbacks or the headaches over thinking it.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Defiance runs 30" legs on their 29'. I bought the two motors from their 29' Gunslinger. Both are 30" long legs. Motors are kept high above the water. On the back of your bracket you can weld on a new plate to raise the engine to the height you want even if you drop the bracket down. My bracket was set up for 25" legs. We added 5" to transom of the bracket. Did the same to my old Northriver to mount a F250 30"motor.

Deviant

Apr 8, 2010
WA
Name
Tim
Boat
Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
Jack plate.....?