Bracket install.

John Stidman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Bracket install

Last edited:

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
just a quick question for the pros. After the numerous dry fits, and checking things out it looked gd. After the 5200 and sucking it down tight all the way the brackets v is just under a half inch off to the left of the boats v. Not sure why it tightened that way. Will this really affect anything?

Screenshot_20210121-114841_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-114812_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-114806_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-114833_Gallery.jpg

kaosx10

Master of KAOS
Mar 15, 2013
pinon hills, ca
Name
jeff
Boat
25' Farallon - Grizzly Bear
If you just installed this and the 5200 isn't set, I'd loosen the bolts and tie a rachet strap around the bracket and try to winch it over and retighten the bolts. 5200, unless it is quick dry, takes a while to set up. I'd be afraid of tracking issues with the outboard not centered. Just my two cents.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
If you just installed this and the 5200 isn't set, I'd loosen the bolts and tie a rachet strap around the bracket and try to winch it over and retighten the bolts. 5200, unless it is quick dry, takes a while to set up. I'd be afraid of tracking issues with the outboard not centered. Just my two cents.
I installed it yesterday. It isn't completely dry but real thick and tacky. After glassing in about 3 inches of plywood it was hard to drill perfectly straight holes. I have 18 total. There isn't much play in the bolt holes after applying resin in the holes to dry. And since they are all just a bit off it tightens in that spot. Unfortunately my buddy that helped me wasn't able to make it today. Its not the quick dry but im afraid its setting and id screw it up a lil more. I sure hope its not that big of an issue. I dont have the help rt now to do it and will probably be set before I can get it.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Is it level at the swim step?

Will the motor set in the middle properly?

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat

Its level evenly across the swim step with the boat. Its actually just under a 1/2 in to the left. The drain plug isn't even. I lined it up with the v of the hull and center. Unfortunately drilling through 3in thick some holes went one way just a hair and some the other. But the angles were fine. It just sits a bit to the left. Of the bottom v. Im afraid if I try and loosen them I may not get that gd seal. I used all my 5200 and used construction saw horses to get close as possible and let the bolts suck it in evenly. If its not gonna matter being that close I'd rather not mess with it.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat

The motor will be in middle of bracket. But maybe just hair to left. I have a kicker on right and ill have new trim tabs. My first time ever doing any of this and want it best I can. Im just wondering if its going to be that huge of a difference?

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
take pics and call the bracket maker. I would leave it as is unless there's an easy fix. Nice looking bracket.

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
take pics and call the bracket maker. I would leave it as is unless there's an easy fix. Nice looking bracket.
Yeah, I emailed A&J marine. Waiting for response. I'm sure there's many on here that could also answer. The more answers I get by those who do this the better ill feel. I dont thinkbits going to be that much of a difference since from. What I've seen in videos is the brackets mostly out of water when running at speeds.iys about 3 inches above the hull so the water coming off the hull shouldn't be hitting much of it. I had a boat with bracket once. Single pod but it was flat. Didn't have the v in the bottom like this.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Here is one I installed with an Armstrong drive.

We made a mock up of the hole pattern and set that on the transom as a template. Also very precise straight drilling.

On the inside of the transom was a pattern match aluminum plate instead of washers with 28 through bolts.

A5EAF375-74C8-4C9B-BBA7-D0B22B8C88E3.jpeg
BA9C5F90-B24E-4EF8-B8CF-83C8C375CAC0.jpeg

Reactions: charliecat

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" SOLD / PlainJaneRods
well I guess you should have dry fitted it first before making it permanent ...
oh well....

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
You watched the video's and decided that it wasn't necessary to mask off before 5200. You mentioned in #2 post that "after numerous dry fits"? it was good? You mentioned in post #6 that it was hard to drill the holes straight. And they were too tight and cockeyed after glassing? Listen to what you are typing...If you are not going to heed "Directions" and BMP's "Best Management Practices" Why do you even ask for advice then do it 1/2 Assed...Anyway?

It is YOUR decision to do quality work! Or NOT!....

My advise would be to unbolt it (before its Hard) and ream the holes out straight and re-glass the holes. That way you can clean up the calking mess too...Or NOT!...

Last edited:

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
well I guess you should have dry fitted it first before making it permanent ...
oh well....
I had mentioned after many dry fits it alined up right. But since it needed to suck up tight evening out the transom with bracket and the extra torque it came out just off a bit. I actually dry fitted about 3 times. Im just asking if this will be a major effect on it or will it be ok? I'm not worried about the caulking mess. I was in bad motorcycle accident and my hands aren't 100%. Drilling perfectly straight wasn't as easy as thought. I have an aluminum backing plate matched to the inside with same patter as bracket. It aligned. Not sure why when it was torqued it move a hair. Its not really noticeable unless you crawl under and get real close. Its not crooked. Level and straight. Just sits above 1/4 in to left. If it's not going to be a huge issue I'd rather leave it alone. I've taken all the advice and videos seriously best I can. Never even working on a boat or fiberglass is why I was asking help. When I dry fitted I only tightened the end bolts and made sure the rest went through. They did. So after my backing plate was done and I dry fitted it again. Botls went though. I dont have much help or access to forklifts ect. Use a sawhorse and got it aligned within an inch of transom. Pushed bolts through and sucked it up slowly. Being my first time doing this I was sure it was gd. But after fully torque on all the bolts it was level. Even. Lined up ,except the bottom. It is what it is for now. I'd just like a answer as to how much its going to effect it. Thanks for the reply, advice and lecture lol. As far as the caulking mess. I took a razor and scraped it. Acetone cleaned it up nice. Im planning on re painting or gelcoat this summer as thats more my profession. Im far from a perfectionist. But I dont mind learning and trying. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: gecsr1

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Man, it's fine. I've seen boats from the factory that are worse. Don't sweat it. Just make sure you set the motor correct.

Some keyboard warriors are a little intense!
Thanks thats the replies I was hoping to hear.
I have a friend thats a yamaha tech. He will be installing the motor and kicker and allcables and harness. Tune it and prop it. I have a lake few miles away to do that. I dont mind the lectures. Im sure no one ever done a perfect first time job at everything. Now painting and custom cabinets refinishing and things to do with homes or industrial im very quality. The fiberglass wasn't the simplest but I figured out after wasting about 15 gals from mixing to much at once it kick hot and fast lol. Again thanks. Thanks to all that take the time. Even the lectures are appreciated. I just want a safe fun boat so I can learn more types fish to chase. Was learning to build rods. But do tobthe motorcycle accident I dont have use of my hands much. Barely can wiggle my fingers. I guess when I'm told you can't do something. I have to prove them wrong. Sitting around crippled and making excuses will never be me. Only failure is not trying. Hope to meet most of ya and fish soon. I see there's alot of what you guys call boat hoes. Cant wait to meet some and learn to fish for the bigger tunas. I've only caught albies few times. Thanks again all.

Last edited:

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
I agree if it was all painted the same color nobody would have ever known. Center the motor on your boat IMO not the bracket and you will be fine, (oh and paint it all the same color and stop looking at it) The length of the centerline of the boat is carrying 90 percent of the tracking and the bracket isn't doing a ton at high speeds (where it would be affected). The bracket is digging in and controlling the tracking when your starting out of the hole at low speeds where tracking wont really matter.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
I agree if it was all painted the same color nobody would have ever known. Center the motor on your boat IMO not the bracket and you will be fine, (oh and paint it all the same color and stop looking at it) The length of the centerline of the boat is carrying 90 percent of the tracking and the bracket isn't doing a ton at high speeds (where it would be affected). The bracket is digging in and controlling the tracking when your starting out of the hole at low speeds where tracking wont really matter.
Thanks. Sounds reasonable.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Yeah I've seen some shit that's way worse. Don't worry about it until there's an apparent issue. You should be able to adjust the trim tab on the lower if there's a pulling issue under power.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Bolt the motor on and run it... you’ll never know it’s not centered...

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Bolt the motor on and run it... you’ll never know it’s not centered...
Thanks, these are the replies I was hoping you hear. Thats the plan. I dont care about the prettiest boat, just the bloodiest!!!

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
I’m going with everyone else who says “ no problem”
you won’t even notice that small amount.....