Box Yellows Late Post 10/7/14

PENN

JacobB

Oct 13, 2014
Name
Jacob
Boat
The Polished Turd
Decided to head out of Dana Wharf on half price Tuesday last week with a couple of my coworkers and my buddy Dillon. Ended up fishing on the Clemente(Great Capt. and Crew. Marcus makes one hell of a burger). Anyways, making it out before the bite goes dry paid off. Lot of inexperienced fisherman, not a whole lot of experienced anglers.

Left the harbor around 6:15 after getting baited up and hit the Box around 7:45. Tried dropping anchor twice but kept slipping. On the first drop, boat got a couple of small Boccaccio, nothing special. The rookies didn't tie on enough weight and the tangles began early:Beat_Them We ended up setting up on the same spot again with no luck on the anchor, but a couple more small rockfish. Captain decided to move up the line to try another spot. Ended up paying off. Bigger rockfish came through then WHAM!! Couple people including myself hook up on some nice grade yellows, but nobody could get em in the boat.:D One of the guys didn't have his drag set right and SNAP! Music to my ears. Ended up getting it in after yelling at some Asian lady who wouldn't get out of the way. Ended the day with the only yellowtail on the boat and a fat stack of cash in my back pocket. Btw, whoever was using the green line should find his own PB man. We almost threw you overboard. Buy some weights, and learn some courtesy.
ZZ Fishing.jpg
ZZZ Fishing.jpg

Heres a picture of my buddy Cam and his rockfish
IMG_1749.JPG

Reactions: rmojica33
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Ended the day with the only yellowtail on the boat and a fat stack of cash in my back pocket

????????

Pic shows 2 YT.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Decided to head out of Dana Wharf on half price Tuesday last week with a couple of my coworkers and my buddy Dillon. Ended up fishing on the Clemente(Great Capt. and Crew. Marcus makes one hell of a burger). Anyways, making it out before the bite goes dry paid off. Lot of inexperienced fisherman, not a whole lot of experienced anglers.

Left the harbor around 6:15 after getting baited up and hit the Box around 7:45. Tried dropping anchor twice but kept slipping. On the first drop, boat got a couple of small Boccaccio, nothing special. The rookies didn't tie on enough weight and the tangles began early:Beat_Them We ended up setting up on the same spot again with no luck on the anchor, but a couple more small rockfish. Captain decided to move up the line to try another spot. Ended up paying off. Bigger rockfish came through then WHAM!! Couple people including myself hook up on some nice grade yellows, but nobody could get em in the boat.:D One of the guys didn't have his drag set right and SNAP! Music to my ears. Ended up getting it in after yelling at some Asian lady who wouldn't get out of the way. Ended the day with the only yellowtail on the boat and a fat stack of cash in my back pocket. Btw, whoever was using the green line should find his own PB man. We almost threw you overboard. Buy some weights, and learn some courtesy.
View attachment 549597 View attachment 549596
Heres a picture of my buddy Cam and his rockfishView attachment 549598

About 5 Yellowtail were hooked today out of Dana...only one landed...a 13 pounder (smaller than yours). Grade of rockfish was much smaller than last Tuesday. I was out there with you...congrats on those Mossbacks and the Jackpot! I'm still looking for my first legit Yellow like that. Only scratched up 3 rockfish today...and yes, that guy with the green line was tangling everybody!? Here's a few pics from last Tuesday with you guys in the background...Todd.
rockfishfishing 009.jpg

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice great job on the two yellowtail or should I say yellowtails???? we fished in that area also. But only got bit on YT 3 times two to the dogs one to hook pulled. But got a little score on Rockies. Don't have much longer on them. Hope YT stay into January like in 97.

Upvote 0

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
Best Anglers fish Tuesday, they usually put their tackle boxes at the rail, eat their breakfast from del taco on the deck on the way out, line up with "non" green line on their spinning rods, which double as their Corona Lake catfish rods and drink the drinks they snuck in, in a backpack/tackle box. Oh and don't get me started on those "Asians". These poor boats could not even run on Tuesdays without the 909/951 area code. Don't slander Asians, green line is the best inshore color and tip.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Sounds like a 2 for Tuesday crowd. Way to get yellows through the chaos!

I was stoked to get my first ever YFT pictured here out of Dana back in mid-September on my first 5 to 5 tuna trip. Now really back into fishing...tried the half price Tuesdays last 3 weeks hoping for a Mossback Yellowtail (only got 5 pound peanuts during last el-nino in 96/97). Got busted off once (along with about 10 others on the dropper loop...a few on jigs) and the other times got some nice rockfish (Bocaccio and Reds) like above. Only one guy got those Yellows out of about 45 people on the boat the last 3 weeks. I realize it is hard to do on a crowded boat with the dogs around. Looking to get a Mossback one of these days soon...a bucket list goal of mine.

Upvote 0

Latest posts