PENN

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
First trip outside the harbor after two shake down trips on the new boat. 17 whaler montauk.

Ran to the FD numbers and found the fleet of over 100 boats. Felt like havasu on memorial weekend.

Tried to stay over the hard bottom but away from the crowd.

Hung one fish around 9:00 on the birdshit 6x.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421639493.749316.jpg

Stoked to put a nice fish on the new boat.

I fished my ass off all day. Pulled the hook on one about an hour later. He hit it on the drop, I came tight pulled on it for about a minute and then pulled.

Put the second fish on the boat about 1:00 and called it a day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421639692.050026.jpg

Felt really bad for the sport boats working the area anytime they would move from one spot to another they had 10-15 boats following directly behind them. Looked like a mother duck with all her young inexperienced following
trying to learn.

Learn the pattern of the fish and move away from the crowd!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421639831.516898.jpg

Larger fish was just over 20 on a scale.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Tried to get back on out of Dana Wharf tomorrow...completely sold out! Wish I had a boat! Article in todays OC Register about the Yellows is going to bring more people. Nice forkies!

Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Tried to get back on out of Dana Wharf tomorrow...completely sold out! Wish I had a boat! Article in todays OC Register about the Yellows is going to bring more people. Nice forkies!
the boats from Ocean side had light loads while the Dana point boats were mosh pits.

Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
First trip outside the harbor after two shake down trips on the new boat. 17 whaler montauk.

Ran to the FD numbers and found the fleet of over 100 boats. Felt like havasu on memorial weekend.

Tried to stay over the hard bottom but away from the crowd.

Hung one fish around 9:00 on the birdshit 6x. View attachment 566118

Stoked to put a nice fish on the new boat.

I fished my ass off all day. Pulled the hook on one about an hour later. He hit it on the drop, I came tight pulled on it for about a minute and then pulled.

Put the second fish on the boat about 1:00 and called it a day. View attachment 566119

Felt really bad for the sport boats working the area anytime they would move from one spot to another they had 10-15 boats following directly behind them. Looked like a mother duck with all her young inexperienced following
trying to learn.

Learn the pattern of the fish and move away from the crowd!View attachment 566120

Larger fish was just over 20 on a scale.
The Dana Pride was boxed in with skiffs and chased down when she tried moving, the captain restrained from shouting however. We manage two fish on iron as well after dumping our first two hook ups. Quality fish well over 20#

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

OC Register??? Damn this was supposed to be a secret!!! They are going to unload the masses... :gaygroup::gaygroup::gaygroup:

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Thanks for the report, Eric. Nice way to break in the new boat! Not to mention the beautiful conditions.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I bet there are hard bottom spot with totally unmolested schools of yellows in the same depth range up and down the coast.And anglers with tight lips running out to them and have a very good day of fishing on them.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
I bet there are hard bottom spot with totally unmolested schools of yellows in the same depth range up and down the coast.And anglers with tight lips running out to them and have a very good day of fishing on them.

Yep. Nice work away from the fleet.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Yeah the grass always looks greener when there's a hundred boats fishing a spot of fish. Rewards wait for those willing to search uncharted, less known spots.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Yep,
I was part of the fleet on Sat. I was on one of the other little whallers out there.
I managed to go one for one solo on the Wet Ride! The fish weighed in at a bit over 24Lbs on the scale.
Are any of you guys having much luck picking them up on the finder? I was blind jiging for the most part.
217-250ft with the fleet. I had the gain set to about 78% the noise rejection is set to medium. For the most part I meetered nothing.
A few times the finder showed some pepper just off the bottom. I would work those hard, but they might be rock fish.
At one point I saw some pepper on the screen about 50ft off the bottom, but they did not sat under my boat.
I tried hard for that 2nd fish, but it was just not in the cards! It was just so nice out there on Sat, very flat with little wind.
I ran into Dana at 21 knots @ 1:45.

That was a number of first for me.
First YT on my Whaler.
First fish gafted on the Whaler.
It was also my PB on the tailes!

See ya on the water, next weekend guys!
Save some tails for me.

K

Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Proper break-in.

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
the boats from Ocean side had light loads while the Dana point boats were mosh pits.

I went on a killing spree at Box on Monday. The Oceanside 95 was covered by a giant skunk cloud. They can't/don't work it like the boats from Dana.

Upvote 0

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
Karlow - I was able to meeter a lot of rock fish on the bottom and up to 50' off the bottom. As far as seeing the YT on the FF I don't think I did. The only one I saw on the FF was hooked and showed up as a yellow arch.

I just got a brand new Garmin 70s with a P66 transducer and a CHIRP ducer as well. It may be my lack of knowing my FF or just not over the top of the schools of fish. I will keep playing with the FF and let you know what I find out.

I would love to see some screen shots of guys with similar FF and YT. I'm sure the high end Furuno units will do it just not sure if my entry level FF will or if I just need to learn to read it.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Saw a rubber ducky out there yesterday and chased it down to see if it was you and Lal. It wasn't...

Still suffering from a case of MRSA in my right leg, lots of pain, haven't fished in six weeks, two trips to the hospital on Christmas and New Years, a great way to spend the holidays?
Getting better might make it out this weekend.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill

Yep. And poaching the Pary Boats is kind of like playing football like The Patriots.

Reactions: stairman
Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Karlow - I was able to meeter a lot of rock fish on the bottom and up to 50' off the bottom. As far as seeing the YT on the FF I don't think I did. The only one I saw on the FF was hooked and showed up as a yellow arch.

I just got a brand new Garmin 70s with a P66 transducer and a CHIRP ducer as well. It may be my lack of knowing my FF or just not over the top of the schools of fish. I will keep playing with the FF and let you know what I find out.

I would love to see some screen shots of guys with similar FF and YT. I'm sure the high end Furuno units will do it just not sure if my entry level FF will or if I just need to learn to read it.

It's probably not the FF's fault. We metered all day and only found schools 5 different times. They are very fast moving with all the boats out there, and they may only be out of the area of your FF by a couple of feet. We fortunately had a buddy boat that traveled along side of us about 40 yards away. That tactic doubled the ground that we were covering.

When we did find schools there was no doubt about it as the fish were at 160-180' in big masses.

Better luck next time! :D

Upvote 0