Bow Poll

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by BadKarma, Apr 25, 2012.

?

Cam choice on a bow

1. Single

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Hybrid

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Dual

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. Binery

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BadKarma

BadKarma Member

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    Poll on cam choice: what do you prefer and why?

I prefer a single cam for now because it's what I've always had and it's caveman simple.

2. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I used to beleive the fallacy that single cams were easier to tune, or needed no timing. BS. Now that I have become used to a Binary/dual cam system with a hard back wall, a single cam just feels spongy and lacking in my hands. That's just me.

3. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    I shoot a duel but it's all about what feels the best for you.

4. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    i've worked on them all when i ran the bow shop and by far a mathews single cam is the easiest and fastest bow to tune. as far as solid draw stop, the new helim has a draw stop. you can also put a nock set on both cables so they bump the roller guard and get a solid wall that way.

5. BadKarma

BadKarma Member

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    I dont get what the big deal is with mathews bows? Can someone fill me in? Everywhere ive asked around, someone always says mathews make the best single cams....

6. okie man

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    they invented it, perfected it and back it with the best warranty in the business. just about every other company that makes a single cam bow pays mathews for it and every company that makes a binary cam system pays darton for it. mathews single cam bows use 1 string and 1 cable ,both attach to the cam. binary systems use 3 attached to both cams. it's easier for 3 strings to stretch at different rates. when you tune a binary bow, to get ata, brace height and cams in correct position , you have to remove and twist all 3 in different orders.with a mathews it's just 2. they also put marks on the cam so you can take a quick glance at the cam and see if everything is in tune. i could teach a monkey to tune a mathews. most binary systems require a draw board to properly tune them. try packing a draw board into the mountains with you! it's all about simplicity with mathews. i put a new set of strings on my mathews 2 years ago. after i broke them in and set tune,i've shot thousands of shots in indoor league,killed 9 big game animals and it's still spot on in tuning and accuracy. how many binary guys can say that! it's all about choices, do want to work on your bow all the time or just shoot it?

7. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    I've had my bow for almost 4 years and changed the string once. I usually bring it in for a quick once over but never had to work on it. It isn't a Mathews....

8. okie man

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    but do you shoot it 10,000 times a year and tune it yourself?if you were 2 days away from a bow shop on a dream hunt and a string gets damaged can you fix it? if you can't tune it how do you know that the guy that works on it does?if you haven't changed strings in 4 years and have not had to tune it i would bet it don't shoot as good as a properly tuned and maintained bow.
    you said your bow is not a mathews. if you left your bow laying on the ground and accidentally ran it over with your truck ,would the manufacture fix it for free? mathews will!if you dry fired it and it blew to pieces would they fix it free? mathews will! if your bow got stolen out of your truck ,would your brand put the serial # in a data base? if the thief tried to get it warrantied would your maker inform the shop that that was a stolen bow and to call the police and get you your bow back? mathews will!
    lots of reasons why mathews is still one of the best bows you can owne!

9. DV8Pilot

DV8Pilot Pilot

Name:
    Orion
    Boat:
    In training
    I shoot Hoyt. I really like the feel of their cam and a half system. I tune it myself and it shoots lights out. I will say that the stock fuse strings are garbage.

10. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Just had a big 'ol gulp of the Kool Aid huh?

I shot Mathews for years. Loved my Switchback! Since switched to Bowtech and have not looked back. They are not any more difficult to tune at all. Yes, you need to understand how they work, but once you do they are not more difficult. Plus with the advent of split yokes on the more recent models, I find them way more tunable. You can set at true centershot and yoke tune from there. Once set and the strings have settled, you will not have to mess with it. And the stock strings are SOOOO much better, as good as any Winners Choice. Plus I have a sold back wall without having to custom tinker. I have not needed it (needed it a few times when I shot Mathews) but I have found the customer service to be excellent.

Not looking to start a pissing match here, but realize that most of what you said is opinion. There is no right answer to this question and there is nothing universally better about Mathews than there is about Bowtech than there is about Hoyt. What matters is the guy holding the bow. End of story.

11. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Wow...If I was that careless with my equipment I'd find another hobby.:D
    I hit what I shoot at. No need to shoot 10,000 times in a year. ;)
    If I was on a dream hunt I'd make sure I had a back-up that I could shoot just as well as my primary.
    Shit can happen, just gotta deal with it. It wouldn't be the manufactures fault.

I've only been shooting 27 years and have NEVER had a failure in the field.

12. dbar

dbar Mmmmmm Backstraps

Name:
    Jim Perkins
    Boat:
    Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
    I'm with Orion, I shoot the cam and a half on a Hoyt and love it!!!
    Replace the fuse string with a winners choice and tune it yourself.
    IMHO any idiot with half a brain and a Simi decent memory can tune their own bow.
    I have put thousands of arrows through my AlphaMax and I'm not trading her in for many years and many more thousands of arrows!!!!

13. okie man

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    not really opinion. managed a bow shop for 31/2 years and sold mathews,bowtech,bear and parker. worked on them all and shot them all. plus i had all the other major brands in for service . there is no mods to adjust,draw stops to jack with . just twist a string or a cable this way or that way and check ata and brace heigth.as far as sluester goes, you may have not had a accident with your bow but i've seen just about everything a person can do to one. i've had mine fall out of tree stands twice. saw a guy buy a brand new setup,1500 bucks worth of gear , i set it up ,he shot it for about a hour in the shop. put it in his new case,set it on the tool box to unlock the truck and drive off with it still on the tool box. it slid of in traffic ,got ran over several time and mathews replaced everything but the strings. shit does happen! the o.p. asked what the hoopla about mathews was and i told him .you don't agree, so be it. but i think i might know a little more about this than you.hell i even make them!

14. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis

15. Cory

Cory Rule #2 Doubletap Admin

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad
    i love it when everyone has their own opinion wrong on something except one guy.

16. okie man

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    "I came in with used Bowtech Destroyer I bought online. He took 1.5 hrs to tune the bow, set it up for me, fix some stuff on it and get it all dialed in"
    taken from another thread!

17. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    What's with the chip on your shoulder? No ones attacking you. The guy that sells Mathews local is a great hunter but not much in customer service IMO. I have nothing against any bow manufacturer, they all have some quality bows out there at different price ranges.

BTW
    I was there. Ali's not much of a bow guy, yet. He bought it on line unseen. The shop is supposed to close at 6, He came in a lil after 5 which is not a problem, Bruce will stay open as long as it takes to make someone happy. His bow came in with a whisker bisket and he had to choose which drop away, which release add some string silencers arrows etc. They talked at length about different options, Ali liked information about the pros and cons of each, if you know him that's the way he is. While Bruce was gathering everything together he noticed that the cams were not in perfect alignment. Ali was getting that deer in the headlight look when given so much information at one time. Not to hard to be overwhelmed. All this was probably included in his "tuning" time. He asked Ali if it was ok if he started on it in the morning when he could add everything and make sure the bow was ok..
    The next day I meant Ali at the shop again and he was already shooting and getting his forum down adjusting the peep etc.
    All that time he spent with him was free of charge, even though he didn't buy the bow from him.
    I thought Nate was anal about bows until I meant Bruce. The guy is a perfectionist and truly cares about his customers. No matter what kind of bow they bring in, they'll do there best to make you happy. They will not oversell you.
    If he had beer in there I'd never be home.....LOL

18. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    My goodness that is the truth abut the beer there. I guarantee you that when it came down to actually tuning that Destroyer it took him less than 10 minutes. Bruce can eyeball a perfect tune in minutes. It blows me away. I have to paper tune and read the paper to get things just right. Bruce can eyeball it, and every single time I then put an arrow thru paper it is perfect. It amazes me. That just supports my point that if you truly understand the system, you can tune one just as quickly as a single cam.

And yes, I thought I was the most anal person in the world when it came to archery gear. Bruce puts me to shame. There is no such thing as good enough, only perfect or not. I used to think he would cringe every time I walked in the door, but now i realize that he loves the challenge. I can bring him something fucked up in a way only I would ever notice and care about and he understands exactly what I am talking about and recommends solutions.

You took that quote way out of context. He may have spent 90 minutes with a customer, but I guarantee the actual tuning took no more than a few minutes.

19. okie man

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    guess what. i know how to do all that too. remember i have worked in 2 different bow shops. i have talked to the tech guys at mathews,bowech,parker ,bear, hoyt,pse and just about every other major brand of bow to learn all i could about tuning and tweaking their bows. i was the guy that people like you brought their bows to to make them shoot the best they can.i did every day for years. i under stand them. i know how they work. i built my own hooter shooter. i built my own draw board.
    i never said mathews was better. i never said bowtech sucked. the original poster asked what all the hype was about mathews was and i gave him facts. they are easier to tune, they have a great warranty. they have great customer service. it's funny how a couple of guys that take their shit to someone else to get it worked on can tell a guy that works on others people shit how much they know. enjoy your brand of bow and have a nice day!

20. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Oh brother. I'm done with this.