Bow Nav Light Options

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
As you can see my anchor blocks my nav lights. Could use your suggestions on where to mount new nav lights. Read some material online and it just says I need them mounted where they are visible to oncoming boats. Was thinking of mounting them up high on my T-Top where I have highlighted? Looking for all other options and appreciate suggestions.

lights1.jpg

lights2.jpg

20210206_143921.jpg

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    There are nav lights that you can place on both sides of the anchor. Look into California Boater or Coast Guard guide for placement and check with West Marine or any other marine equipment seller for different types of nav lights for the bow.

Reactions: uglyducky

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Look to mount the nav lights on outside tower frame. It will give a better profile.

Thats kinda what I was thinking since I have wires running up the tower already for lights and stuff. I prefer not to drill holes on the bow if I can avoid it. Just trying to find out if its Coast Guard approved to place on tower.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    I used to run boats like yours at night nearly every day. I had to see well cause there were alot of boats running with no lights. I would up mounting a tab on the t-top so the light was above the canvas and installing a red/green nav light rated for a 65ft vessel that I could not see one bit. but everyone else could. I was about the size of a 16oz beer can but about 1/2 again as wide. end of problems

Last edited:
    Reactions: sickcat

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    also, many led’s light reflects much better than incandescent. Go separates or above canopy. I personally like seeing them so I know they’re working. To be honest I try to not be seen more than seen.

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Mount them on the sides of the T top, not the front. The other vessel is only supposed to see one color at a time, a red light (slow down or stop ) or a green (proceed). If you mount both colors up front, it can be confusing

Reactions: the SLIDER

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    dont over think it just mount them higher where other boats can see them. Just important is to make sure that port and Starboard light are seen separately (if this makes sense) , and both when on a head on situation with another vessel.

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Thanks guys and I will mount wide, but I dont get it how boaters are supposed to see 2 separate lights when most bow lights are right next to each other in the housing...

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Thanks guys and I will mount wide, but I dont get it how boaters are supposed to see 2 separate lights when most bow lights are right next to each other in the housing...

Bow Light are specifically built separate internally to shine the light in the appropriate way. Same reason you can't see the lights when looking at the stern of a boat

Reactions: mahi

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat

mounting wide makes no diff when they are 5 ft apart on a skiff. wide is to be able to differentiate ships' beams!

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Truly appreciate everyone's input. Dumb question but would I still be USCG approved cause I will leave my current bow light where its at and add just led strips on my tower for more visibility?

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Truly appreciate everyone's input. Dumb question but would I still be USCG approved cause I will leave my current bow light where its at and add just led strips on my tower for more visibility?

Stop over thinking this.....LOL obviously your not running both set of lights at the same time.

Reactions: mahi

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot

While the colors do blend together somewhat from straight head on it is easy enough to differentiate the green VS red VS "blended" from other angles.

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    TH
    Boat
    17' Avon Searider
    Technically, your all around white light needs to be 1 meter above your red and green. If you put the red/green on the t-top, then your white will need to be on a 1m pole.

Never heard anyone getting ticketed for it, but that's the rule.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat

jeez! if you see red/green together then crank the furkin wheel real fast. The boat is coming right at you or vice versa! if you only see red the boat is off to your left and not motoring towards you but you are going toward it so turn your furkin wheel to the right. etc etc

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    jeez! if you see red/green together then crank the furkin wheel real fast. The boat is coming right at you or vice versa! if you only see red the boat is off to your left and not motoring towards you but you are going toward it so turn your furkin wheel to the right. etc etc

Must be an Oregon thing, but of you see red that means the vessel is coming from your right or starboard side.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Must be an Oregon thing, but of you see red that means the vessel is coming from your right or starboard side.

red is on the port side = left. if a boat is approaching you from your bow and all you can see is red then...I might be about half drunk right now but if I was driving I would turn to right-starboard.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    There are lights that mount on the bow rail so you could likely run the existing wire through an exit fitting and up the rail. There are also flush mount lights that could be in the hull. I think separation between the all around and the running lights would be a good thing.