Inshore Bounce ball halibut

fullclip

• May 15, 2008
    Upland ca
    Name
    jeremy
    Boat
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    Got the invitation to bounce ball from a friend from work. We took his boat out a 30’ radon. We trolled along Santa Barbara coast. The incoming tide was best from 50-80 ft deep. 5 keeper halibut, 1 sole and 1 angel shark. We released the shark. We got a double at one point on halibut which surprised me that they were so close together. We fished dodgers with hoochies. I kept 2 fish. Both were females with eggs. Largest fish 20-30 lbs.

100470CB-681E-427A-8CF6-10D5C1157D46.jpeg

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
    Lemoore
    Name
    Scott Randall
    Boat
    Crestliner Superhawk
    I've trolled for halibut in San Francisco Bay in about 10' of water using 8oz wts. So, just how heavy are those weights you use for trolling that depth off Santa Barbara?

Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
    Lemoore
    Name
    Scott Randall
    Boat
    Crestliner Superhawk
    Whew! Some heavy duty weights, for sure. Are the weights released after a hook-up? I've never trolled with weights that heavy before so I apologize for asking the question. And those are some really nice halibut, btw.

Upvote 0

XPL051v3

Almost A Member
  • Nov 26, 2017
    Deep Blue
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    XPL051v3
    Boat
    Backseat Boater
    Whew! Some heavy duty weights, for sure. Are the weights released after a hook-up? I've never trolled with weights that heavy before so I apologize for asking the question. And those are some really nice halibut, btw.

Often times trolling around Monterey we use 2-3# cannon ball leads. Only way to stick on the bottom in deep(er) water. The weights are on a 3 way swivel so no, they don’t release.

Upvote 0

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
    Lemoore
    Name
    Scott Randall
    Boat
    Crestliner Superhawk
    Thanks for pointing out that weights are not released. I've heard a lot of trolleys in deeper water release the weights. That would get costly, and wasteful, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
    Jun 22, 2015
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Errin
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    The weights are not released, that would get expensive for a single halibut...

Upvote 0