PENN

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Today was pretty much the most fun you could have with your clothes on. On Monday I bought 50% of my buddy Brad's 25' Hydra-sport, so we decided to go marlin/tuna fishing today. The strategy was to troll marlin jigs, but if we saw signals of tuna, be ready to invest time for some tuna. We planned to work the clean water edge of the cloro break running from the 267 to the 209 to the 181 area.

Launched out of Dana Point at 5:00 am, motored out to the 267 and put the marlin jigs in the water. Came across a San Diego party boat hooked up first thing, no one else near it, so we drifted a very respectful distance away. Chummed heavy and eventually had fish boiling around us, plus meter marks at 100 - 120 feet, couldn't get any biters in spite of heavy chum and 15 lb. test. Looked like the party boat was on 10 - 20 pound fish, but after they left we had a slew of absolute slug tunas begin to boil around us, easily 50 lbs +. The size of the boils were reminiscent of the recent boils at Desperation Reef. No biters for us though, so we headed towards the 209.

Once we were 1 1/2 miles south of the 209, I noticed a black fin come up right behind the port outrigger mean joe green lure. As I'm processing this, the marlin sucks the lure down, the line comes out of the clip, rod doubles over and line is screaming off the reel! MARLIN ON!! My buddy Brad hasn't caught a marlin before, so he grabs the rod and I'm clearing lines. The fish is super acrobatic, makes a hot first run, then turns towards us and begins jumping towards the boat. After about 10 spirited jumps directly towards us, I'm getting a bit concerned if it's going to jump in the boat and Brad is reeling like the hammers of hell trying to keep the line taught. Luckily it decides to go deep as it nears us, and we settle in for the battle.

After 20 minutes on 50 lb. test the fish is at leader, I grab it's bill and unhook the lure. The fish was swimming strong, we still revived it for 3 or 4 minutes just to be sure, then released this fat feisty marlin to fight another day. As luck would have it, a good friend of mine was coming up from San Diego marlin fishing today, and he happened to be right next to us going the other way when we hooked up, so he took a few photos of us on the fish and releasing it.

Didn't see any more tuna today, went from the 267 to the 209 to 10 miles off the domes back to the 267. Beautiful warm day, stoked to have had a successful first trip on the new boat as a part owner. Ah the joys of boat ownership once again.

Marlin release close up.JPG Long rod.JPG brad release.JPG Dave photo from afar.jpg Mean joe green.JPG

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
What a great day is right. Love seeing them all lit up

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
best color lure by far for our waters...green with silver works to

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    upload_2016-10-2_6-7-59.png

nice....looks like the same lure we got on one last week

love marlin fishing

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Nice way to break in the boat, but how do these deals usually work? You get to use the boat while he doesn't, schedule together?

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    30' Albemarle
    Nice way to break in the boat, but how do these deals usually work? You get to use the boat while he doesn't, schedule together?
    Joe,

I'm by no means an expert on this, but it is my 3rd boat partnership in the last 25 years. Having a boat partner you can have clear, honest communications with is key. For example, my previous boat was kept at the East Cape for 5 years. I wanted a kicker motor (as there are no towing services down there) but my boat partner who is a great guy did not want to make the investment. So I bought the kicker motor myself, and when the time came to sell the boat , I sold the kicker outside of the partnership, and recouped my investment. But that was all agreed to beforehand. Also, someone who has the financial ability to pay for unforeseen repairs, as you do, is critical. All expenses are tracked on a spreadsheet, split 50/50, and when one or the other owes a thousand bucks, the other partner is paid. Regarding who gets to use the boat when, that's important to figure out before money is spent. In this case I was blessed to be able to retire early in life, so my working stiff boat partner will get first dibs as the weekend warrior, but I'll wind up fishing with him most weekends anyway. Whatever the situation, the key is flexibility and communication. The big upside is that all repairs, maintenance and on going costs are 50% off. Choosing the right person for the deal is key, hope that helps.

Don

Upvote 0

Foss

Senior Fossil
    Dec 16, 2003
    Bay Park
    www.jackinnis.com
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    Not My Ride
    Great report and pix! Congrats on the new ride and the 411 on co-ownership.

Upvote 0

To The Limit

To The Limit
    Jun 11, 2004
    La Jolla, CA
    Name
    Dan Muslin
    Boat
    48' Pacifica
    Today was pretty much the most fun you could have with your clothes on. On Monday I bought 50% of my buddy Brad's 25' Hydra-sport, so we decided to go marlin/tuna fishing today. The strategy was to troll marlin jigs, but if we saw signals of tuna, be ready to invest time for some tuna. We planned to work the clean water edge of the cloro break running from the 267 to the 209 to the 181 area.

Launched out of Dana Point at 5:00 am, motored out to the 267 and put the marlin jigs in the water. Came across a San Diego party boat hooked up first thing, no one else near it, so we drifted a very respectful distance away. Chummed heavy and eventually had fish boiling around us, plus meter marks at 100 - 120 feet, couldn't get any biters in spite of heavy chum and 15 lb. test. Looked like the party boat was on 10 - 20 pound fish, but after they left we had a slew of absolute slug tunas begin to boil around us, easily 50 lbs +. The size of the boils were reminiscent of the recent boils at Desperation Reef. No biters for us though, so we headed towards the 209.

Once we were 1 1/2 miles south of the 209, I noticed a black fin come up right behind the port outrigger mean joe green lure. As I'm processing this, the marlin sucks the lure down, the line comes out of the clip, rod doubles over and line is screaming off the reel! MARLIN ON!! My buddy Brad hasn't caught a marlin before, so he grabs the rod and I'm clearing lines. The fish is super acrobatic, makes a hot first run, then turns towards us and begins jumping towards the boat. After about 10 spirited jumps directly towards us, I'm getting a bit concerned if it's going to jump in the boat and Brad is reeling like the hammers of hell trying to keep the line taught. Luckily it decides to go deep as it nears us, and we settle in for the battle.

After 20 minutes on 50 lb. test the fish is at leader, I grab it's bill and unhook the lure. The fish was swimming strong, we still revived it for 3 or 4 minutes just to be sure, then released this fat feisty marlin to fight another day. As luck would have it, a good friend of mine was coming up from San Diego marlin fishing today, and he happened to be right next to us going the other way when we hooked up, so he took a few photos of us on the fish and releasing it.

Didn't see any more tuna today, went from the 267 to the 209 to 10 miles off the domes back to the 267. Beautiful warm day, stoked to have had a successful first trip on the new boat as a part owner. Ah the joys of boat ownership once again.

View attachment 794354 View attachment 794355 View attachment 794356 View attachment 794357 View attachment 794358

Upvote 0

Latest posts