Bottom Paint chipping off after 1 month

OCPapa

Mar 16, 2021
Irvine, CA
Name
Sam
Boat
None... yet
I was wondering if a new coat of bottom paint should start chipping off after 1-2month.
I had the bottom repainted just under 2 months ago and they used Interlux Micron CSC HS which seems like a good product. After taking the boat out 3 times (~7hrs total cruising the harbor) I notices small chips had fallen off and exposed the prior bottom paint when washing the boat down in the trailer.
After taking the boat out for two 5hr sessions out in open water I now see dime & quarter size chips have fallen off all over the bottom.
I really think the shipyard that did the job did not prep the boat right to remove any old bio material that could bee seen (green/brown stuff sticking to paint even after a power wash). You can see it in the chipped areas. 20210523_134732.jpg20210523_134746.jpg20210523_134909.jpg20210523_134852.jpg20210416_092000.jpg

How long does your ablative bottom paint last before it starts chipping away or wears down to expose prior bottom paint?

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    @Omakase would be a good guy to ask,he has alot of experience.
    Id say not prepped right but ill leave it to those who no more.

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    No way should it be coming off already , it could also be bad paint but im thinking lack of prep has a lot to do with it

Reactions: Papa "J"
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    They absolutely did not prep it correctly. Contact them immediately. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to convince them they made a mistake.

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
    Apr 9, 2010
    anaheim, CA
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    AVparker
    Did you pay for prep or prep yourself? You might want to check the trailer too. Those bunk brackets look a bit corroded

Reactions: Supa711
    Upvote 0

Supa711

User Customed Title
    Jul 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Whippin&Dippin
    With all due respect, it seems to me you should address the issue with the yard first. But, since you didn't; the facts are you wanted a 600$ paint job and specifically instructed the yard to "just roll another coat on". The bottom was pressure washed prior to doing so. You had been informed that the existing bottom paint needed further attention, which you apparently declined.
    While I was not involved in the painting myself, I am affiliated with the yard and know some of the details. Feel free to elaborate further on the whole story, if I'm mistaken. 🤙

Upvote 0

jeffkaiser

Almost A Member
    Oct 14, 2005
    escondido, ca
    Name
    Drew Ann
    Boat
    Grady White Adventure 208
    I've got no skin in the game but.....
    Sam, Thanks for not calling out a specific yard...
    Nick, Thanks for your tactful clarification of the facts as you know them...

Based on what I see in the pictures, it seems to me that boat needed a LOT more prep.
    IMHO, You get what you pay for. There are no shortcuts in boating.

Upvote 0

OCPapa

Mar 16, 2021
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Sam
    Boat
    None... yet
    Everyone thanks for all the input.

I didn't mean to insinuate the shipyard was dishonest or did bad work. In fact they have been great to work with. I also should have stated that the yard already told me to bring it back in before this post went up. Without seeing it they said they would touch it up, but I wanted to have a bit more confidence in my thinking that it was not prepped right and will probably need more than a little touchup. I will take the boat in tomorrow and hopefully they will agree and remedy the issues properly so the paint job can last 2-3 years.

Supa711 - I actually never requested a "$600" job to "just roll another coat on". I'm not sure if you have my boat confused with another boat. I was never told that the existing bottom paint needed extra attention before applying a new coat. Being new to boating I would have trusted the yard to do what they know best even if that meant paying more for a proper job.

Upvote 0

Supa711

User Customed Title
    Jul 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Whippin&Dippin
    Everyone thanks for all the input.

I didn't mean to insinuate the shipyard was dishonest or did bad work. In fact they have been great to work with. I also should have stated that the yard already told me to bring it back in before this post went up. Without seeing it they said they would touch it up, but I wanted to have a bit more confidence in my thinking that it was not prepped right and will probably need more than a little touchup. I will take the boat in tomorrow and hopefully they will agree and remedy the issues properly so the paint job can last 2-3 years.

Supa711 - I actually never requested a "$600" job to "just roll another coat on". I'm not sure if you have my boat confused with another boat. I was never told that the existing bottom paint needed extra attention before applying a new coat. Being new to boating I would have trusted the yard to do what they know best even if that meant paying more for a proper job.
    OCPapa, thanks for the clarification of facts. I was operating on bad intel from the guy holding the paint can in your pictures after showing him this thread. All to often I see people on these boards willing to bad mouth an operation without them giving them the chance to rectify the issue, which your reply indicates was not your intentions. My apologies brother, I hope the yard gets you squared away properly.

Upvote 0

Omakase

Apr 19, 2009
    Kitsap
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    24 LaConner
    I wouldn't call that poor prep, I'd call it no prep. Boat needs a thorough strip of the micron, a good sanding and ideally a coat of tie coat primer before new anti-foul is applied.

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    It looks to me that the who ever prep the bottom for the new paint did a very poor job, dose not look like it was sanded at all.
    you need to have a talk with that boat yard..

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0