Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I’m sure it’s been covered on here before. Thinking about slipping my boat. What would an average cost be on a good quality bottom paint job?
26-0 outboard boat.
Thanks in advance BD

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
should be about 25 to 45 per foot and Materials. yo slipping for long term or short, sometimes it lowers resale value and also will have to be reapplied every couple years

Reactions: Steveo77

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
First time you get the bottom painted will be a little more expensive because they have to sand and primer the bottom, before adding the bottom paint. Your probably looking around $2000 or more.

Dana Point Ship Yard just quoted me $2600 for my 26 ft boat with twin outboards and I already have bottom paint. Then again, DPSY is a rip-off.

I’ll be getting mine done at Basin. I think they charged me around $1800 a few years ago, but I had a couple gel coat repairs done too.

Omakase

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
Good question, it can vary a lot depending on how good a job you really get. Take your boat to a few yards to get it quoted. Ask to see some of their jobs in progress and ask what procedures and products they would recommend on your boat. Are they busy? Is their facility reasonably clean and organized? Look at boats they are working on, are they masked and prepped well or are they rolling paint onto dirty, unsanded hulls? A shop that does good work will be happy to show you around and they most likely won't be your lowest quote but will probably be your best value.

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Prices will vary. Be sure to shop around.

MikeC92109

Weekend Warrior
Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Twin Seas"
Cost me $2,500 here in San Diego. 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of Cukote with a 3rd at the waterline. My boat hadn't been painted before so it had to be sandblasted and prepped. I shopped around and that's the going rate.

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Where did you have it done MikeC92109?

Shelter island boat yard was the most reasonable Ive found in SD.

gpm414

Sep 13, 2006
Northwest Coast, Long Beach peninsula
Name
Gary
Boat
Sailfish 2680 WAC, twin Yamaha 150, Simrad Electronics
My boat had never been bottom painted, so this summer I did the job myself. I can't help with the overall price other than the epoxy primer and bottom paint will run several hundred dollars.

As others have said above, be sure the yard does professional work and do not cut corners. A proper job includes cleaning and de-waxing the gelcoat. Then sanding before applying 2 or 3 coats of epoxy primer, plus at least two coats of bottom paint. My boat is also 26' and $2500 doesn't sound unreasonable.