Bottom fishing Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Keith Poe, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Anyone ever use thease ?

My auto retrieve down riggers will not retrieve the salt slicer & Z-wing combo and I need to get something that will.

bottom fishing reels 3/4 and 1 HP motors 12-V

BOTTOM REELS

Attached Files:

2. conchydong

conchydong Untitled

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Rock Bottom
    Keith, they are commonly called "Bandits" and were, and are still, popular to a degree with the commercial snapper/ grouper fisherman in the gulf states and SE Atlantic. They have the power for what you want but IMO they will be too big and bulky for your boat and dangerous. Too many exposed moving parts for you to get caught in.
    If I were you I would look into a high quality electric reel like the LP S1200 with the titanium spool. You can use this for your deep trolling and also use it for other things which brings up my question.
    Why are you trolling so deep? For "daytiming" have you tried drifting or do you have a squid problem and are trolling to try to keep them from eating the bait? For night timing you can troll on or near the surface but if I were you I would daytime like we do in FL with the electric reel. I know alot of Ca guys dont like electrics but winding in a half mile of line with a 10-15 lb weight for a bait check can be brutal.

Once you get it dialed in than you can use manual reels if you wish, but I would start with electrics. Trial and error.
    In a nut shell, I would stay away from the bandits for your application.

Good luck.

3. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    Keith, what RPM do your current ones run at ?

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
  5. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Scott thanks for your help my friend I really appriciate it very much.

I troll during the day at 750'-1050' acording to the tracking that was recently released.
    Some times i will set the baits at 500'-1100' or a little deeper depending on what i see on sonar and what swordfish are preying on at the time in conjunction with the preys habitat spawning etc.

I was told by the DFG not to be caught using winches and belive an electric reel could be considered a winch as they are very similar.

What I wanted the Bandit for is to deploy and retrieve the salt slicer & Z-wing combo
    and use ATD80-W to run the baits and fight the fish.

The combo slicer Z has little to zero blow back trolling.

I have looked at allot of the electric reels and really like the LP reels but if i can get the salt-Z combo out and in by auto retrieve cheaper i'm all over it.

According to the tracking here we do not have to fish nearly as deep as you guys and hat's a good thing brother.

I looked at some videos and the bandit do look bulky and potentially dangerous.

Do they unattached like the down riggers do or a permanent mount ?

Attached Files:

6. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Good point Dago

I bought mine used online and don't belive I have instructions but can most likely get some on line.

I belive they have three diffrent settings for retrieval speeds and might be abble to slow it down and get it to man up and do the job.

Great thinking appreciated and if you have any more 411 on the by all means sir please.

Keith

Attached Files:

7. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp

Attached Files:

8. conchydong

conchydong Untitled

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Rock Bottom
    I was told by the DFG not to be caught using winches and belive an electric reel could be considered a winch as they are very similar.

What I wanted the Bandit for is to deploy and retrieve the salt slicer & Z-wing combo
    and use ATD80-W to run the baits and fight the fish.

The combo slicer Z has little to zero blow back trolling.

I have looked at allot of the electric reels and really like the LP reels but if i can get the salt-Z combo out and in by auto retrieve cheaper i'm all over it.

According to the tracking here we do not have to fish nearly as deep as you guys and hat's a good thing brother.

I looked at some videos and the bandit do look bulky and potentially dangerous.

Do they unattached like the down riggers do or a permanent mount ?[/QUOTE]

Keith, the Bandits can be removed. Most of them have a vertical pipe (stanchion) bolted to the deck and gunnel and the motor assembly and boom are mounted on a smaller diameter pipe that slides into the stanchion. The stanchion will be permanent. The least expensive Bandits are belt driven and are the most dangerous on a moving boat. The direct drive are a little better but they are still bulky.
    Electramate makes a smaller version of a bandit (pro boom) that is gunnel mounted and more portable and can be driven with a 12/0 reel with a motor.
    They also have a motor drive aftermarket attachment for penn down riggers that are supposedly more powerful than the cannons if you want to go that route. Give them a call and they could give you more info.

If the Ca Fish and Game think electric reels are winches they would definitely suspect you are winching fish with the bandits even if you try to explain you are only using them for heavy duty downriggers. Fortunately, there is a lot of options for you.