Bottom Fishing Florida - Phenix Black Diamond Question

Makotim

Feb 7, 2018
Palm Beach
Name
Tim
Boat
23 Mako
I have a question for you bottom fishing pros out here. I am looking to put together a new setup for strictly bottom fishing. Currently I have a nice combo that I enjoy consisting of 7 1/2' Phenix Black Diamond Heavy (PSW760H) with a newer Daiwa Saltiga 40HA spooled with 50lb braid.

I am only looking at star drag reels and currently do not do any jigging.

I will be going on two middle grounds trips this summer on Hubbards Flying Hub 12 hour extreme, both during red snapper season. We will be targeting red snapper and grouper in waters over 120' with 6-8oz weights. In addition I will use the combo for bottom fishing off Jupiter and hopefully on a Yankee Capts Dry Tortuga trip.....

As I am in Florida not many shops have Phenix rods so I have to glean all info from here..

My questions are:

1. I am looking at the Phenix PSW760XH to pair up with a Saltiga 50ha star drag or Trinidad 30a for a heavier combo for larger grouper and also for deeper drift fishing off southeast Florida where the Gulfstream rips and I need alot of line capacity to hold bottom in 150-200' of water while drifting. I could see myself using this with 65lb braid and over 12oz of weight to hold bottom sometimes. Any thoughts?

2. I am also looking at an 8' rod and have been looking at the Phenix PSW809H to possibly pair up with a Saltiga 40 or Trinidad 20 to fish with 8-10oz weight in 100-150' of water. I would spool it up with 50lb braid.

If any of you guys have bottom fishing experience with these rods/reels your input is much appreciated.

FYI: I will be using these combos strictly for bottom fishing with bait and not jigging nor will I be using them for surface casting.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: jiggermyster

Makotim

Feb 7, 2018
Palm Beach
Name
Tim
Boat
23 Mako
I forgot to add this:

I am a first time poster here but a long time lurker. I enjoy the immense amount of first hand knowledge found here discussing rigs, tackle and techniques.

The reason I purchased the Phenix Black Diamond 760H was due to all of the info found on this forum. I would have never considered Phenix before. I am very happy with that combo. For that I thank all of you

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
with the cost of a Phoenx you can have a custom made rod made in FLA. Look at Johnny's Jigs website he can point you in the correct direction. I have 3 phx setup here in so cl. I purchased mine all at a closeout of lakeside fishing and tackle a couple of years ago. If I were to pay full price I would look at a custom built rod for the specific fishing you are doing Cheers https://johnnyjigs.com/

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
That 809H is a pretty light rod. I use mine for 25-30# line. I have a PHD 760XH that fishes 50 nicely. I think the PHD series is a little stiffer than the PSW but I’d think they’re pretty close.

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
Consider a Phenix Axis 7’2”, 720x2h rated 40-100 or 720xh rated 30-80 and a penn fathom 40n/2speed (in case of a big one)
Jmho .
Getum, Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
I have a HAX780X2H with an old Ocea Jigger 5000. It is narrow which I like for bottom fishing. Probably one of the best meat drop star drag reels. The SASD50HA is also a great reel for bottom fishing but wide for my tastes. Have you considered a Baja Special or a "Grouper Special" Senator?

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
for that type of fishing I would look into United Composites ..I think you will be very happy ..very sensitive , strong rods ..

and I am a big fan of phenix

Upvote 0

RedRich

Feb 11, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
Name
Richard
Boat
Lit'l Bit
for that type of fishing I would look into United Composites ..I think you will be very happy ..very sensitive , strong rods ..

and I am a big fan of phenix
what UC rod would you recommend for heavy grouper digging 60-80 lb. braid/mono topshot, Penn Fathom 40nld2 reel. GUSA Predator 7'6"?

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I have a question for you bottom fishing pros out here. I am looking to put together a new setup for strictly bottom fishing. Currently I have a nice combo that I enjoy consisting of 7 1/2' Phenix Black Diamond Heavy (PSW760H) with a newer Daiwa Saltiga 40HA spooled with 50lb braid.

I am only looking at star drag reels and currently do not do any jigging.

I will be going on two middle grounds trips this summer on Hubbards Flying Hub 12 hour extreme, both during red snapper season. We will be targeting red snapper and grouper in waters over 120' with 6-8oz weights. In addition I will use the combo for bottom fishing off Jupiter and hopefully on a Yankee Capts Dry Tortuga trip.....

As I am in Florida not many shops have Phenix rods so I have to glean all info from here..

My questions are:

1. I am looking at the Phenix PSW760XH to pair up with a Saltiga 50ha star drag or Trinidad 30a for a heavier combo for larger grouper and also for deeper drift fishing off southeast Florida where the Gulfstream rips and I need alot of line capacity to hold bottom in 150-200' of water while drifting. I could see myself using this with 65lb braid and over 12oz of weight to hold bottom sometimes. Any thoughts?

2. I am also looking at an 8' rod and have been looking at the Phenix PSW809H to possibly pair up with a Saltiga 40 or Trinidad 20 to fish with 8-10oz weight in 100-150' of water. I would spool it up with 50lb braid.

If any of you guys have bottom fishing experience with these rods/reels your input is much appreciated.

FYI: I will be using these combos strictly for bottom fishing with bait and not jigging nor will I be using them for surface casting.

Thanks in advance
    don't get a saltiga 50 or Trini 30 as a heavier rig.. get a 2 speed like a torque or the new saltiga 2 speed.

UC rods are way better than phenix, I always feel like I can't pull to hard on my black diamonds after all the phenix rods I've broke. I do like the axis line though.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
    Aug 10, 2008
    nassau NY
    Name
    Richie
    Boat
    32 albe
    what UC rod would you recommend for heavy grouper digging 60-80 lb. braid/mono topshot, Penn Fathom 40nld2 reel. GUSA Predator 7'6"?

I like the CE composites blank for that type of fishing..With them you get a softer tip so you feel the bite better..and there bullet prof .

Reactions: RedRich
    Upvote 0