Boston Whaler

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by whammy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Finally sold my aluminum and now im looking into buying a Boston Whaler but im torn btw 2.

1) 13' Whaler clean little ride with a 40 hp 4 stroke yamaha all the bells and whistles. Previous owner, buddy of mine, added a center console, new fishfinder, really nice trolling motor, ice cooler, etc.

2) 15' Whaler with is 2k more than the 13' is a side console with a 50hp Honda 4 stroke that i will need to convert to a center console probably add a new fishfinder and possibly a new trolling motor

so the question is which would you guys prefer does the extra 2 ft warrant 2k more down and probably another 1k after i buy a console seat, and fishfinder

btw the boat will be mainly used locally meaning never more than a couple miles out and around the bays and wall.

thanks in advance for the feedback, really excited but cant decide on which one

2. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Depends on how handy you are to do all that work changing console. I went from a 13 whaler to a 17 Parker. Could easily go back to my whaler. Love those 13 whalers. But the 15 does give you more area. Damn, tough decision.

3. BrotherP

BrotherP Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    18 ft CC, Brother P
    I would always go as big as I could afford. but thats just me.

4. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Look at the 16' montauk it's killer

5. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Bigger is better if it doesn't break the bank...

6. Babu

Babu Dork

Name:
    Dr. Kermit Fang
    Boat:
    17ft whaler "Marie-Marie"
    If you buddy's is turn key and less money. Then why deal with unknown more work and more money?

But thats just me cheap and lazy.

7. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    i feel you there but wanted to ask the question because of the size difference and the 15ft is turn key just not arranged like I would like

8. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17
    Get the 15. You won't regret it.

9. agarcia

agarcia Member

Name:
    Art Garcia
    Boat:
    rowboat
    Unless space or the extra cash was a major issue I'd go 15 with no hesitation. You can change out consoles and internal configurations but you're not going to add length to a whaler.

10. grey goose

grey goose Member

Name:
    Darrell
    Boat:
    17' Whaler, 26' Blackman
    You are going to quickly outgrow either one, so better to get the 15 while you can or wait and see if you can find a 17 hanging around somewhere,
    Two feet doe'snt warrant 2K but whaler people are weird. and tend to ask really Big numbers for thier boats.
    I would not want to sell mine because they really are a good little boat, I would just hate to ask for what I got into it.

11. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    you might see if there are any 14 Dauntless in the area.They have a underdeck fuel tank and a builtin bait tank under the seat.It is rated for a 70 HP.One year only boat and are in great demand for Avalon boat guys.I bought mine new and is way better than just about any except maybe a 16 Dauntless.Do a yachtworld search also.1999 was the year.Tom

12. fintastic

fintastic Fintastick

Name:
    mike bauer
    Boat:
    25 topaz fintastic
    Go the 15 the ride is a world better than the 13 I had both l loved my 15 but had a 70hp on it!

13. jfield

jfield Killer of fish

Name:
    J
    Boat:
    15' Boston Whaler Sport
    I've owned both.. no question 15' is twice the boat. I've owned a 17' Montauk too which is twice again as much boat. 13' and 15' are okay for the kelp beds on a nice day, 17' is ok for Catalina, Coronados and local banks on a nice day.. and still fits in most garages. All that being said I loved all three. Flush em.. hose em out.. and stuff them back in the garage. Not sure why you'd need a center console on a boat that narrow but I guess that's personal preference. Good luck with whatever you decide. They're all great.

14. neil c

neil c Fish killing fool

long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
    Name:
    neil
    Boat:
    34 radovich Four Reel Sportfishing
    Bigger the better , had a 15 , it rides better than the 13, if you can afford it get the 15 you won't have buyers remorse.

15. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Thanks guys for the help, going to check out the 15ft tonight, hopefully it's clean and ill be able to pick it up

16. Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler Serial Lurker

Name:
    Kai Schumann
    Boat:
    Hobie PA14, Pro-Fisha 525, Solo Skiff
    I also had a 13 with a 40 on it - took it out to the 9 mile bank numerous times (on those special glassy days). But I always wished it was a 15 instead. After some douche stole it I'm reduced to fishing out of the kayak, but I'm holding out for that 17 Montauk...

17. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Hey Chris ~

I saw that you were still logged on so thought I would give you my quick take.

Everyone is saying that the 15' is better, and they are right. the 15' is MUCH more boat...... BUT.....

A couple things to consider from what I am looking at and just to be totally honest.

The 13' has a much better nicer galvanized trailer....... the 15' has a piece of Chit (just being brutally honest) painted steel trailer that will become a rust bucket fairly quick in most cases, which can be a big added expense down the road.

The 13' has a Yamaha while the 15' has a Honda. Just my opinion, but me personally, I would rather have a Yami vs Honda..... not saying Honda is bad in any way, but the nod goes to Yamaha IMO, and I think there are more Yamaha certified mechanics floating around vs Honda mechanics.

Personally, unless you are getting a completely smokin deal, just keep looking for a 15' (better yet a 17 ;) ) with Yamaha or Suzuki power and a very decent trailer (preferably galvanized).

Good luck!

The unknown fisherman:p:

18. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    thanks Mike definitely something to consider.

19. nalani

nalani Newbie

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    blackman billfisher
    Once again the ?? Fisherman has to chime in and add his opinion. Just because my trailer is not galvanized doesn't make it a piece of shit. Tires are good, lights work, new leaf springs, etc.

20. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Uh yeah.... wasn't that what he was asking for?? :rolleyes:

Aaron ~

First off, I had no idea it was your boat

Second, your damn right I gave my opinion and will continue to always do so..... I'm just trying to help the guy out, whether I know him or not.

I'm not at all saying your 15' Whaler is a bad boat, not in the slightest..... the boat looks very good. I just know from buying many boats, that painted steel trailers (unless ZincPoxy) fall low on the list for me...... I've had my share and for me personally they don't hold up well to the salt water environment. Doesn't mean I would not rule out buying a boat because it had one, but it would play a big factor.

Don't go getting all chapped because a guy asks for opinions and advise and then he gets some and it does not meet your likes. He asked for advise and opinions and I gave him mine, like I would any friend of mine..... what he does from there is his decision.

The unknown fisherman:p: