Boston Whaler 17 foot Montauk For Sale in San Diego PRICE DROP $17,900 OBO

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
17 FOOT 1976 Boston Whaler Montauk. Asking $21,000 OBO. Now $18,900 OBO. Now $17,900 OBO.
Restored in 2017
Evinrude Etec 90HP with LESS THAN 300 hours!
See the video walkthrough here: Motor purchased Brand New in March 2017. Engine markings say November 2016. Comes with a transferable 10 year/1000hour warranty!
— The last time I took it in for service was January 2019, where it was determined at that time to have 201 hours. Only taken it out 6 or 8 times since then.
— At 201 hours I had the full 3yr/300 hour service performed on the engine (well before it needed it!) — Engine starts every time, never had a single issue
— Immaculately maintained, engine ran at least 15 minutes every couple weeks when not in use.
— Engine comes with a 10yr/1000hr transferable warranty through Evinrude. Evinrude is no more because of COVID, but Evinrude says they will honor all warranties as per their website (https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/suppor...)
Hull is SOLID, very reliable, foam filled Boston Whaler.
Boat is always stored on trailer for the past 30+ years so it is not water logged and never been bottom painted. Boat is very economical, easily trailerable and easy to launch.
This boat is the very CLEAN, RELIABLE, and DIALED The boat needs nothing done. Ready to go inshore or offshore immediately to catch fish Batteries are 2 years old.
Bilge pump
Deck lights
Lawrence elite 7ti (Fishfinder/charts/GPS) 2017
Westcoasttrailers trailer
22 gallon gas tank (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moelle...)
22 gallon bait tank (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...)
VHF with GPS (https://shop.opticsplanet.com/standar...)
Comes with cushions, cooler, a blue Bimini top, and a set of outriggers.
You won’t find a more reliable, clean, dialed, and ready-to-use, offshore fish killing machine at this price point.
This boat gets over 4-6 miles per gallon. Very fuel efficient.
Call Ben: 209-613-9748

IMG_6634-3.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: winnawinna17
Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Small thing, but I like it has a bilge pump AND is self draining--as I understand it I should say. That means if the pump quits working -and they all do at some point--you still have no worries if she takes on water. It also does not take a 3/4 ton truck to easily pull it, my 1/2 ton would do just fine, that's a pretty big deal for many of us. I like Whalers--had one, but both like/don't like the low free board--but your side rails take care of that concern pretty well. Great boat/engine/trailer combo, good luck with the sale. PS I said the low free board was good in some ways, 2 of em are this: in the worst wind you can imagine, I noticed with my Whaler, the wind could not move it, nothing much for the wind to push against, so boats that were having a hell of a time at the ramp (sideways pushing) watched me put mine right down the middle--first try, and the other thing is reaching the fish, easily as you are close to the water line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Thorn
Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Beautiful boat.

I imagine the titles for both are in your name and clear? Also can you elaborate a bit on what "restored in 2017" means and were you the one who did that? I'm sure some (myself included) will want to know what that means. Also speed numbers and location please.

Upvote 0

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
Beautiful boat.

I imagine the titles for both are in your name and clear? Also can you elaborate a bit on what "restored in 2017" means and were you the one who did that? I'm sure some (myself included) will want to know what that means. Also speed numbers and location please.
Thank you.
Yes titles are in my name and clear. Here's a bit of explanation. The boat has been in my family for 20+ years and with a family friend for 10+ years before that. Always stored on a trailer. In 2017/2018 my dad and I restored it. My dad is a painting contractor and he stripped the boat and painted it inside and out with Interlux Perfection paint (I'll admit the inside deck has a little wear from the last 3 years of use). Here's what was added between 2017/2018: New rub rails. New cushions. New engine. New trailer. New electronics. New bow anchor hatch. New bow light and deck lights. New batteries. New bait tank. New gas tank. What's not new: hull, rails, console, steering wheel. I store the boat on a trailer at my house in Poway, Ca. I took it out quite a bit in 2017 and 2018. 2019 I had a baby and moved so I only took it out a handful of times. My dad's deal was if I ever wanted to sell the boat it would have to be because I am upgrading to a bigger whaler and that's exactly what I did and therefore why I am selling it. I sure hope my bigger whaler is as reliable and carefree as this one is because this boat is always ready to go at a moment's notice offshore.

Top end in the bay on a flat day is 35 knots. But typically (based on conditions) cruising speed is between 18-25 knots.

Upvote 0

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
Small thing, but I like it has a bilge pump AND is self draining--as I understand it I should say. That means if the pump quits working -and they all do at some point--you still have no worries if she takes on water. It also does not take a 3/4 ton truck to easily pull it, my 1/2 ton would do just fine, that's a pretty big deal for many of us. I like Whalers--had one, but both like/don't like the low free board--but your side rails take care of that concern pretty well. Great boat/engine/trailer combo, good luck with the sale. PS I said the low free board was good in some ways, 2 of em are this: in the worst wind you can imagine, I noticed with my Whaler, the wind could not move it, nothing much for the wind to push against, so boats that were having a hell of a time at the ramp (sideways pushing) watched me put mine right down the middle--first try, and the other thing is reaching the fish, easily as you are close to the water line.
Thanks for your comment. Yes it has a bilge for convenience but if it fails you can just pull the plug and go underway. As long as the boat if moving about 7+ knots the boat will drain rather quickly. Yes there are many pros to a Whaler but basically in my opinion they are the most pound for pound capable boats. Not many other 17 footers can confidentally venture 40+ miles offshore.

Upvote 0

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
Nice boat. Price makes me want to sell mine. These aren't self bailing though and they can be towed with a car!
Thanks for the comment! Whalers are solid platforms for sure. Foam-filled not only for floatation but also for strength. True they aren't self bailing when you're stopped (the bilge serves that purpose) but they are self bailing when you're going approx. 7+ knots with the plug out. I used to have a little 2010 Nissan Frontier that pulled it no problem up hills, couldn't even tell it was back there.

Upvote 0

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
Price is now reduced after a week of no serious buyers. Was $21k. Now $18,900 OBO.

Upvote 0

Ben Thorn

Aug 1, 2014
Name
Benjamin M Thorn
Boat
22 Foot defiance
Price now REDUCED to $17,900 OBO. There's been a lot of interest/offers between $15k-$16k. If anyone is serious, now's the time to pull the trigger in the $17k-$18k range. Again you won't find a cleaner, dialed, and more reliable 17 whaler in Souther California.

Upvote 0