Red Wood

Sep 29, 2018
Humboldt County
Name
Red Wood
Boat
Aquasport Osprey 185 Yamaha BF90
Asking $7500.

[on edit] Boat is 1980 model. Motor is 1998 but was installed new in 2000 by Redwood Marine in Eureka, CA. [end edit]

Comes equipped with:

• Brand new electrical fused switch panel w/ 12V and USB charge ports
• Standard Horizon marine VHF radio
• Garmin chart plotter w/ West Coast maps
• Lowrance Hook 4 sounder
• Hydraulic power trim/tilt
• Transom saver for stabilizing motor while trailering
• Rod holders
• Kicker mount
• 2 oars
• Anchor
• 15-gallon fuel tank
• Water fuel separator w/ 2 lines out for main & kicker
• [edit] 1 brand new Interstate marine deep cycle battery
• [edit] 1 older Interstate marine deep cycle battery
• both batteries in marine battery boxes
• 2-Battery switch
• EZ loader trailer with side bunk rollers
• Transom saver
• 2 brand new tires on trailer in March 2020
• Bearing buddies

By all appearances the Honda has minimal hours and is very clean and in great shape (I have the original paperwork for it).

Motor was just serviced with new fluids. Fuel tank was completely drained and flushed with new fuel/water separator cartridge as well as new fuel filter on motor. Starts easy, idles great, quick throttle response.

This great little boat is seriously fast. It easily gets up to 40mph without hitting wide open throttle. It will probably break 50 on flat water but I never pushed it quite that far.

Very easy to tow, easy to launch, easy to load.

Clear title in hand, fees paid through 2021.

Boat is located in Eureka, CA. Will consider meeting as far south as Santa Rosa for the right offer but this country mouse is not even going to consider going all the way into the Bay Area or beyond.

20200719_162312.jpg

20200719_162312.jpg

20200719_162258.jpg

20200719_162251.jpg

20200719_162246.jpg

20200719_162242.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LarsTheViking
Upvote 0

Red Wood

Sep 29, 2018
Humboldt County
Name
Red Wood
Boat
That thing must be terrifying with 90hp. Max rating is 70hp if I'm seeing correctly?

I've never actually run across the specs indicating max HP...where did you find that?

I will concede, it's over-powered. For what it's worth, I've got original records from the shop that installed it, a certified Yamaha dealer still in business. But I guess that and $5 will get me a cup of coffee these days.

As far as whether it's terrifying...well, like I said, I've had it up to over 40 and it still had a bit of throttle to go. Truly flat water is a rarity around here so I've never opened it all the way up and played with the trim enough to find top speed. If it hadn't been for this dang pandemic I would have probably dragged it to a lake this summer but as it is I'm stuck with Humboldt Bay and there's almost always some ripple on it if not legitimate swell sneaking in through the entrance.

In any event you probably won't find many packages that will go this fast on less fuel!

Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 12, 2010
Lb inshore
Name
Simmo
Boat
19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
its ok pretty sure me and the guy before me were just giving you a heads up that was my intention. not really sure why the other guy had to rake us over the coals for some standart BD banter. carry on GLWS

Reactions: Red Wood
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Just an opinion. It being "over powered" is not an issue, because you can go as fast as you want and not have it all the way opened up--which is good, keeps the RPM down and still gives what you want--and mpg's are better too. The issue, if there is one, is weight, it if tips the bow up due to too much weight on the stern. I had that as an issue on my old skiff and needed to move both batteries in the deck forward which balanced her out, not sure what, if any issue you may/may not have with weight, just thinking out loud.

Upvote 0

Red Wood

Sep 29, 2018
Humboldt County
Name
Red Wood
Boat
Currently has two full size Interstates* installed under the front seat which is enough to balance it out with only a driver. I have found with a passenger I have to ask them to sit up front though - if they're next to me behind the wheel I have to put the hammer down to get the bow to ever drop, which doesn't work around the marina. But with the weight of a passenger in the front it's not an issue.

*One of the batteries is dead but I left it in the box strapped to the floor just for the ballast.

Just an opinion. It being "over powered" is not an issue, because you can go as fast as you want and not have it all the way opened up--which is good, keeps the RPM down and still gives what you want--and mpg's are better too. The issue, if there is one, is weight, it if tips the bow up due to too much weight on the stern. I had that as an issue on my old skiff and needed to move both batteries in the deck forward which balanced her out, not sure what, if any issue you may/may not have with weight, just thinking out loud.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Currently has two full size Interstates* installed under the front seat which is enough to balance it out with only a driver. I have found with a passenger I have to ask them to sit up front though - if they're next to me behind the wheel I have to put the hammer down to get the bow to ever drop, which doesn't work around the marina. But with the weight of a passenger in the front it's not an issue.

*One of the batteries is dead but I left it in the box strapped to the floor just for the ballast.
Sounds like you are on it Red; another thing that helped my skiff was a simple "Dolphin" that I bolted to the cavitation plate, it really sucked the front down with any kind of speed. That said, when it is balanced without that--as it sounds like your's is, that's the very best

Upvote 0

Red Wood

Sep 29, 2018
Humboldt County
Name
Red Wood
Boat

UPDATE: Today I purchased and installed a brand new Interstate DC270 marine battery. It also had an older VHF I didn't bother listing but I upgraded to a more modern Standard Horizon VHF marine radio with the capability of patching into the GPS unit. I've not wired them together since I don't currently have it garaged so all the electronics get pulled when I park it but the unit does have that capability.

Upvote 0

LarsTheViking

Sep 21, 2013
Dana Point/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Lars T.
Boat
1990 Team Scarab 31 by Larry Smith. Twin Yamaha 250 OX66 EFI.
If this was in New England or Newport Beach, CA she would have most likely been sold already. The 15SS is a great hull design, and if the transom is at least semi dry, all she needs is a couple knees with some extra glass across and WOT would be a blast. Here's a funny spoof video with a 15SS, done with the Euro offshore endurance racing crowd as target. Btw, if you like the song in the video and don't mind seeing some human blood on decks then the 2nd video is for you.
GLWS, if I had less boats I'd be wiring funds North already.

Upvote 0