Boston Whaler 13 Pilothouse Build Pic Heavy

knguy022

Sep 29, 2009
Colton
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
Good question! 12 gal fuel tank. Range is around 50-60 miles depending on conditions and load. I carry extra jerry cans when needed.

Reactions: bloodfart
Upvote 0

Kawika Tumilowicz

No_Expectations_Fishing
Apr 24, 2017
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Kawika
Boat
Yellowfin 24'
Awesome job! Nobody really gives small custom boats the credit they deserve. With some effort and time they can become many times more seaworthy that they were originally. I've found from being offshore in different boats that your range doesn't really matter up to a point. What really dictates the length of your trip is how long you are willing to spend on the boat. Bigger boat-) more comfort-) longer range/trips

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
My boss has the same boat. We walked through the pictures at my desk and he had a huge smile.

If you like this work, I'm sure there are a lot of guys that would pay premium dollars for these kinds of modifications. I would have someone else draw up the plans.
:cheers:

Looks like you have a talent and should take advantage of it.

Upvote 0

Bigvic_tuna

Jun 7, 2019
So Cal
Name
Victor
Boat
Montauk
Beautiful work man. Hopefully I can pick up this 13 footer I have been eyeing and would be lucky if mine came out half as nice. Any more follow up pictures with you fishing on it?

Upvote 0

Jason A Maier

Aug 9, 2019
Goleta, CA
Name
Jason Maier
Boat
Whaler Revenge
Karl,
The foam I used is polyisocyanurate foam. This foam is compatible with polyester and epoxy resin. It is a closed cell foam and I believe it has a 2 lb density. You can buy this online from sources such as Fibre Glast but it is expensive. You can purchase 4x8 ft sheets at home depot or lowes (I believe its called R-Tech insulation) of various thicknesses for much much cheaper. The only problem is you have to peel off all the aluminum and paper skin from the sheet which can be a PITA. The boards do have some minor voids that need to be filled before being used for coring material. I filled mine with either epoxy or polyester resin as I was laying up the fiberglass skin to the sheets. It is amazing how strong this foam becomes once it is sandwiched between fiberglass skins.

Yo brother! I am following your steps to do something similar on a much bigger whaler..revenge 22'' what thickness of R-tech foam did you use? 1inch? 1/2inch? Do you think the thickness matters much?

Upvote 0

knguy022

Sep 29, 2009
Colton
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
Yo brother! I am following your steps to do something similar on a much bigger whaler..revenge 22'' what thickness of R-tech foam did you use? 1inch? 1/2inch? Do you think the thickness matters much?
Thickness matters lol... If you are going to have curves or any type of radius in your design the 1 inch will not bend easily. The 1/2 inch is bendable (to an extent) and if laid against a frame to hold it in place you can make some decent curves. You can glue multiple 1/2 inch sheets together against a frame to get the thickness you want while also forming the shape. Otherwise you can buy foam sheets that have precut grids that can be bent easily (https://www.lbifiberglass.com/product/h80-series-grid-score-5-0-lb-cu-ft/)

I used 1/2 sheets glued together against a frame BTW.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Jason A Maier

Aug 9, 2019
Goleta, CA
Name
Jason Maier
Boat
Whaler Revenge
Thickness matters lol... If you are going to have curves or any type of radius in your design the 1 inch will not bend easily. The 1/2 inch is bendable (to an extent) and if laid against a frame to hold it in place you can make some decent curves. You can glue multiple 1/2 inch sheets together against a frame to get the thickness you want while also forming the shape. Otherwise you can buy foam sheets that have precut grids that can be bent easily (https://www.lbifiberglass.com/product/h80-series-grid-score-5-0-lb-cu-ft/)

I used 1/2 sheets glued together against a frame BTW.

Good Luck!
Awesome. Super helpful. I guess I wonder as a follow up - what's the value of having thicker rather than thinner? The strength is in the mat and glass right? so is there a structural benefit to the 1''? Or did you just glue together to create the shape you wanted?

Upvote 0

OneWayTraffic

May 11, 2021
New Zealand
Name
Stuart Mcnaughton
Boat
C17 self build from Bateau.
I must admit that I laughed when I saw the pilothouse dry fitted on the hull. But as you went on it looked better and better. I'm currently building a 17' from wood epoxy glass and looking into cabin/pilothouse options.

Jason: The purpose of the foam between skins of glass is to keep the skins apart and functioning together to handle the loads. The foam is mainly loaded in shear forces, which are lower than the forces in the skins. Stiffness is proportional to the thickness of the foam squared, so 1" glassed would be about 4 times stiffer than 0.5". There are other ways to get stiffness however, like putting in a curve or adding some frames. I wouldn't see that anything more than 0.5" with a layer of 12oz each side would be needed for a pilothouse structurally unless you wish to stand on it. Going bigger won't effect weight much though, so why not if you can bend it? Extra flotation up high as well.

My boat hull is 6mm ply with 400g biaxial glass both sides, double on the inside most places. Extra near stringers and frames. Stringers are 16" apart frames about 36". It hardly flexes at all when I step on the middle of panels. No creaking or noise. The sole's not on yet.

Upvote 0