Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
GOD DAMN! You sir have skills. I am not going to lie, I laughed when I read the title of this post, thinking this is going to be good. All sarcasm aside.. this was incredible! Never in my wildest dreams did I think your project would come out as BAD ASS as it did. Hats off to you Kevin!

Upvote 0
K

knot keely

Just do a search for 13ft whaler. There's a whole build thread. He did it up like a flats poling skiff

Reactions: Grappler
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Good lord. You are skilled!

Upvote 0

Aliikai17

May 6, 2012
Kona Hawaii
Name
Pat
Boat
Less now
YES!!! That's how you turn that thing into a machine!!!!! I built a 17' with a Pilot house forward and everyone gave me a little grief. But people are slowly realizing that in order to fish right and maximize the space you need to push it forward. Plus you made her way more seaworthy and warm & dry. I just moved back to Kona and saw some amazing rebuilds. I'll send you a pic if I can find it on the 2' foot extensions with a nice whale tail for the transom. Thanks for sharing and keep slaying um'. Aloha Pat

Upvote 0

wmarins

Aug 9, 2019
West Marin
Name
Jeff Clapp
Boat
1973 Boston Whaler Outrage
Just joined the forum. Very nice work. Can you please explain how you joined the pilothouse to the boat. Is the pilothouse just glassed on to the gunwale? Any insights are appreciated. Contemplating adding a pilothouse to my 1973 Outrage this winter. Thanks!

Upvote 0

knguy022

Sep 29, 2009
Colton
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
Just joined the forum. Very nice work. Can you please explain how you joined the pilothouse to the boat. Is the pilothouse just glassed on to the gunwale? Any insights are appreciated. Contemplating adding a pilothouse to my 1973 Outrage this winter. Thanks!

Hey Jeff,
The pilothouse is joined to the boat in several areas for improved strength. I made a thickened epoxy resin to 'glue' the cab bottom to the boat gunwale. After that cured, I made an epoxy putty (peanut butter consistency) and used it to form a rounded inside corner on the outside joint where the cab sits on the gunwale (this needs to be done because fiberglass does not join well at 90 degree corners). Fiberglass cloth strips wetted with epoxy resin was then tabbed into this rounded corner all the way around the entire cab-gunwale joint. On the inside I had fabricated the cab wall so that it sat flush with the interior wall of the boat. This allowed me to apply several strips of fiberglass cloth directly on top of the joint, overlapping the cab and boat side for a clean union. Hard to explain without a visual but I hope this helps.

Reactions: the SLIDER
Upvote 0

knguy022

Sep 29, 2009
Colton
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
What kind of foam sheets did you use and where did you get them?

Karl,
The foam I used is polyisocyanurate foam. This foam is compatible with polyester and epoxy resin. It is a closed cell foam and I believe it has a 2 lb density. You can buy this online from sources such as Fibre Glast but it is expensive. You can purchase 4x8 ft sheets at home depot or lowes (I believe its called R-Tech insulation) of various thicknesses for much much cheaper. The only problem is you have to peel off all the aluminum and paper skin from the sheet which can be a PITA. The boards do have some minor voids that need to be filled before being used for coring material. I filled mine with either epoxy or polyester resin as I was laying up the fiberglass skin to the sheets. It is amazing how strong this foam becomes once it is sandwiched between fiberglass skins.

Reactions: the SLIDER
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Thanks for the intel.
Once, I bought some polyurethane foam sheet.
It worked great, it was expensive, and they could only ship it in 4 x 4 ft sheets. I can peal sheets from HD

Upvote 0

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
Waverunner FX cruiser, hobie kayak
Thanks for the intel.
Once, I bought some polyurethane foam sheet.
It worked great, it was expensive, and they could only ship it in 4 x 4 ft sheets. I can peal sheets from HD

Just tossing this out there. Whenever I remove decals or stickers I use a heat gun. Try just warming it up, and put steady pressure on the sticker peeling it away. You can remove almost anything like this and takes the glue with it too.

Upvote 0