Boss Valiant 800 Narrow vs regular

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by AdamHJeep, Apr 2, 2018.

1. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Def commited on getting this reel. Seams like a perfect heavier setup for up to 3 day trips or longer... i want to use it as a default flatfall / dropper loop rig mostly. Spooled with 100lb hollow with an end loop to heavy flatfall / yoyo jig / or even short 60 - 80lb flouro topshot for live bait if needed ( have a Makaira 10sea for 40-50lb)

My question is on the difference and benefits of the narrow or standard. I got to hold both reels last week and am still undecided. The BV2-800N holds 450-500yds and the BV2-800 holds 600-650yds of 100lb hollow respectively.

As it will be primarily a flatfall / yoyo / dropper loop (bottom fishing reel)... im leaning towards the Narrow as the capacity seams more than adequate and the easier line lay on the retrieve is evident. Yet i feel the full size still isnt exactly a "wide" reel. And the added line capacity and greater flexibility for 80lb live bait topshots occasionally is a plus. Also the narrow seams perhaps "too narrow" and looks weird on my 6ft andros heavy jigging rod (80-200lb braid) if that makes sense.

The fact that the price and weight are the same only makes it more difficult.

I guess my REEL question (pun intended) is if a "narrow" reel of this size is really that much of a benefit during a yoyo or fast flatfall or wahoo bomb FAST retrieve... or if I should get the standard BV2-800 and not buy into that...

I will use this reel for west coast cattle trips on bluefin and yellowtail and wahoo, east coast bottom fishing for grouper, amberjack, big black drum etc, and maybe trolling mojo's for stripers.

2. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    There's a dude on here selling a bv2-800, I bought a black one and really like it, kinda thinking about getting the narrow one too. Have not fished the reel yet, but it is definitely one you could fish all day. Good luck on your choice

AdamHJeep likes this.
  3. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Hey Adam,

There are two schools of thought when it comes to this question. The first, is that since you are fishing from a stationary boat, that you want to err on the side of line capacity. The other is what you mentioned where the reel is narrower so it is easier to lay the line on the reel, and just overall easier to deal with. Personally, I am a big fan of the narrow style of reels in general, but I am also a smaller guy so I like being able to cradle the reel a little easier. It also does weigh one ounce less than the regular 800. For the most part this is just a personal preference question. Since you are planning on putting 100 pound instead of 80 you may want to lean to the regular width 800 for the bluefin on the flat fall from a capacity perspective, but personally I would go with the narrow. Hope that helps a bit!

AdamHJeep and shooter21 like this.
  4. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    I would recommend buying both. By ownine both you will be able to accomplish all you intend to accomplish. LOL It really is a loaded questions. And a matter of personal preference. From what you have written it sounds like you have a good working knowledge of both reels. After all, it is only money.

AdamHJeep and shooter21 like this.
  5. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    I cant justify that... if the narrow was like $50 less it would make my decision easier. I think im leaning more toward the regular for the line capacity described above. Technically I guess I can just spool a little less and then thatll give more room for messy line lay if im burning a jig in? Also then i could go much longer on a wind on for live bait if the bigguns are around.

My setups are as follows

#1 Andros 5niia. With 50lb braid for 20-30lb short topshots and medium andros 7ft jig rod
    #2 Tesoro 12s with 65lb and long 40lb topshot for light yoyo and surface iron on an deckhand 8ft rainshadow mh tuna popper
    #3 Makaira 10sea with 60lb hollow for 40-50lb short topshots on a mh andros 7ft jig rod

All my rods are 2 piece for ease in travel since im from the east coast and fly in.

The 4th will be the Valiant (narrow or reg) with 100lb hollow rigged for flatfall or dropper loop but ready to put a 60 or 80lb wind on topshot if needed. For now im pairing with my 6ft heavy andros jig rod rated 80-200lb but im planning on getting a heavy rainshadow tuna popper with the butt cut down to make a 7'6.

6. fighingrjo

fighingrjo paid my taxes

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    if capacity is the concern, definitely the regular.
    if you stand up fish, the narrow won't dig into your (left) forearm as much as the standard will, nor will it "rock" as much when you are winding. if you plan on setting the rig on the rail during the fight, the standard is easier to palm and stabilize.

probably not helpful for decisive advise.

7. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    No it is helpfull! I didnt bring up the whole palming the reel or stabilization thing yet. Listen if I had a bunch of money id just get the narrow and stricly use for flatfall/ yoyo / dropper loop that it will excel at. But i want something capable for 60lb or maybe even 80lb live bait. I mean is 450 or 500yds of 100lb with a short 25' topshot of flouro plenty i guess? Is 600+ yds really that necessary for up to 3 day trips? If i go longer id prob be buying a Mak 20 or 30 anyways for 80-130lb....

Wait did I just talk myself into the Narrow? Wish i coukd get one for like $550. The $100 off would make this decision so simple.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    For myself, I use my fingers as the guide in choosing a reel. If the reel is wider than four fingers, I have a real problem spacing the line across the reel as I wind in. If it is narrower than three fingers (and a lot of narrow reels are only as wide as two of my fingers) then it is hard for me to balance it in my hand and it annoys me to fight the fish with it. So almost seven decades of fishing and a couple of dozen reels has taught me that a spool close to three fingers wide is my happy place.

You may well have either smaller or larger hands than I have, mine are 2XL. But it doesn't matter how capable or effective a reel is, if it doesn't fit your hand right then it will just annoy you.

And except for the occasional cow tuna, there isn't anything in SoCal waters within three day range that requires more than 400 yards of line that you are going to hook up from a open party fishing boat. A private yacht could target swordfish or the occasional blue marlin, but that isn't what you are looking for.

fishjunky, dh515 and AdamHJeep like this.
  9. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish

Yep. So i looked at them last week and with my large to xl hands the Narrow was about 2 1/2 fingers and regular 800 was 3 1/2.

The other thing is the 800 is a tall reel. The wider 800 seams def more balanced but i guess it is relative and hard to gauge without actually spooling and pulling on some dead weight with drag set.

Im thinking the narrow is plenty line. Maybe I should just pull the trigger on the narrow and fish it (going on a 2.5 day on memorial day weekend). If i dont like it i bet I can get close to what i paid and get the regular instead.

surfgoose likes this.
  10. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    OK! I'm fishing that weekend myself, on the CONDOR out of Fisherman's Landing. Colonet Reef and tuna hunt. Which boat are you on?

11. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Planning on the 2.5 day on the Pacific Queen but think the New Lo-An might go too.

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Have a great trip! I'll wave at both boats if I see them. We'll likely be looking in the same areas.

13. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Ok so never pulled the trigger on the bv-800. Decided to save the money till the falk and here some more feedback on it for short L9ng range use.

I got a Fathom 40nld2 instead ($250 on Amazon). Will use for Fkatfall and 60lb. In a pinch is it safe for 80lb? Should I spool with 80 or 100lb hollow? (500yds of 80 or prob 440 of 100lb).

Going on a 2.5 day memorial day weekend.

14. kayakbeast33

kayakbeast33 Not so Newbie

Name:
    steven
    Boat:
    Almost time
    What boat are you on? Ill be on the Pac Queen that weekend. 80lb hollow should do the trick. I have a 40 loaded with 65lb and 60 mono for 50/60 I have a dauntless 600 as well for 60/80 duty.

15. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Cool im planning on the Pac Queen too! Heading from the east coast my flights are booked just waiting to lock in the reservation till it gets closer or down to 6 or so spots left. Been checking everyday think there are still 15 spots left.

Ill have 4 setups...

Andros 5n for 25-30lb
    Tesoro 12s for surface iron and light flatfall or jigs
    Mak-10 for 40-50
    And the Fathom 40nld2 for heavy flatfall and 60.

16. kayakbeast33

Name:
    steven
    Boat:
    Almost time
    Sounds like you are ready to go! Last year we ran in to some bigger models hopefully we have the same luck this year.

17. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Yeah I have been stressing about a heavier setup for a while (hence starting this thread). I was gonna get the boss 800 but just couldn't rationalize $700 right now. Saw the deal on the fathom and pulled the trigger. Thinking i should wait for the BV-1000 to come out and just get that this fall for late season bigguns as a true 80lb.

Saw a pick of a 180+ lb'r caught on the New Lo-An the other day on a Fathom 40. Tgat and $250 made an easy decision.

18. kayakbeast33

Name:
    steven
    Boat:
    Almost time
    You Can find them sometimes for sale on here for 500-550 not really sure if that would have tipped the scale for you but its a thought. Look forward to meeting you and some great fishing!

19. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Hi Adam, we actually did release the BV2-1000 during Fred Hall this year! https://accuratefishing.com/shop/valiant-bv2-1000/

If you have any questions on the 1000 please let me know. Good luck on your trip!

20. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Get one to Josh at J and H to do a review! Ill check to see if Tackle Direct in NJ has it yet snd stop there next time im up north.