Boss extreme vs penn torque 2 vs Shimano Talica?

Mark49

Mark litwiler
Dec 26, 2016
Lompoc
Name
Mark Litwiler
Boat
In search
Trying to decide what reel to get in the Talica 12 size range. Torn between these three. What are the pros and cons of each? I don’t like okumas I’ve had bad luck with them. Thanks

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Equivalent line capacity to TAC12II will be the Torque 25N size.

richardblufin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
For the money Fathom leverdrag 2speed reels 25 30 0r the 40 model. I have a talica but prefer the fathom by Penn. Size depends on what size spectra you're going to use 50lb spectra go to the 25model 65lb spectra pick the 30size 80lb spectra 40model. Use the money you saved and go on a trip.

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
For the money Fathom leverdrag 2speed reels 25 30 0r the 40 model. I have a talica but prefer the fathom by Penn. Size depends on what size spectra you're going to use 50lb spectra go to the 25model 65lb spectra pick the 30size 80lb spectra 40model. Use the money you saved and go on a trip.

Its amazing how often Fathoms come up in a discussion of reels that are double or more in price. Its a testimony to Fathoms that they are legitimately even included in that kind of conversation.
When the budget allows discussion of "premium" reels [the OP appears to have it in his budget], but the overall design excellence of the Fathoms is recognized, the logical step is indeed to step up to the Torques.

Reactions: Hkrob and Mark49

richardblufin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Its amazing how often Fathoms come up in a discussion of reels that are double or more in price. Its a testimony to Fathoms that they are legitimately even included in that kind of conversation.
When the budget allows discussion of "premium" reels [the OP appears to have it in his budget], but the overall design excellence of the Fathoms is recognized, the logical step is indeed to step up to the Torques.
Your right Steve. And the torques are made in the USA

Reactions: Mark49

Tim Turis

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
Here is a post that I recently made in a thread about small two speeds for use at Guadalupe. I think much of it applies to your question.

There are many good manufacturers of small two speed reels from which to choose (Penn, Okuma, Shimano, Avet, Accurate, etc). At one time, I had a full compliment of Shimano Talicas; I eventually sold all of them. The Talicas are very good reels with smooth drags and great free spool. The one area where they're lacking is torque in low gear; from the factory the low gear is simply not low enough. There are after market options to address this issue, but it shouldn’t be needed at that price point. Many anglers swear by the small Accurate reels for their smooth drags and castability, but those reels IMHO require more maintenance than comparable reels of other manufacturers.

When I moved away from the Talicas, after much research I narrowed my choices to Penn Torques and Fathoms. The Fathoms are great reels at their price point; but I purchased the Torques because of their high quality machined aluminum frames. The Torques/Fathoms have smooth drags and cast well like the Talicas. But the lower low gear in the Torques/Fathoms gives the reels MUCH better grinding power.

If I were in the market for a small two speed reel today, I would again purchase the Torques followed by the Fathoms. Though they are at a higher price point than the Fathoms and most other small two speed reels, the Torques are the finest small two speed reels on the market today (in my opinion).

I hope this information helps with your decision.